1954 Pontiac Windshield Sunvisor

Summershandy

Looking for an outside sunvisor for a '53 or '54 Pontiac Star Chief. I think it can also be for a Chieftain. Earlier years had split windshields so I think the body size was different. Unsure of the years above 1954. The only way would be to measure length with brackets and I think it's around 56" long. Thanks. 

sun visors 2.jpg

I've checked bijims as well as another company on ebay manufacturing aftermarket visors. After converting the USD to CDN and shipping made them pretty pricey. Almost what I paid for the car LOL. I also checked with a few scrap yards I could get a hold of and none were available. I was hoping for a used one that I could clean up and save a few bucks. I found one in my province that was off an earlier year that looked good and the seller wanted to get rid of it. He measured it and it came up short. Thanks for the reply! 

Mark

Sorry Bloo I can't remember and my conversation has been long deleted. Half the time the seller isn't sure of the year anyway. It measured too short so I ended that one. I tried searching for the seller but I can't find him. I believe he was in Southern Ontario.  

• Like 1

Like KURTRUK said you need to find one for 1953-1954. Chevrolet visors are the same. An original visor may be difficult to find and I think they're ALL gonna be pretty pricey. I have owned several old cars with outside visors and I prefer a car without one especially when driving on an interstate and being passed by a  tractor trailer doing 80 mph. If you find an original make sure you get all the mounting hardware with it. To each his own. If you want one go for it. 

Edited by The 55er
added more info (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, The 55er said:

I think they're ALL gonna be pretty pricey

and from what I've been seeing I agree. Might as well shell out the dough to get a new one hardware and all. I've never had one so I wouldn't know how they are for driving. Just like the looks of it. I also drive around town or to shows, no highways. I have other items of more importance to purchase until then.....thanks!

On 3/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, The 55er said:

Like KURTRUK said you need to find one for 1953-1954. Chevrolet visors are the same. An original visor may be difficult to find and I think they're ALL gonna be pretty pricey. I have owned several old cars with outside visors and I prefer a car without one especially when driving on an interstate and being passed by a  tractor trailer doing 80 mph. If you find an original make sure you get all the mounting hardware with it. To each his own. If you want one go for it. 

not quite all the same, the chevy visor didn't come with the back edge stainless steel trim whereas the pontiac visor did.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, Summershandy said:

and from what I've been seeing I agree. Might as well shell out the dough to get a new one hardware and all. I've never had one so I wouldn't know how they are for driving. Just like the looks of it. I also drive around town or to shows, no highways. I have other items of more importance to purchase until then.....thanks!

i recently sold my extra 53-54 pontiac visor used for $500.00 with the trim mounting plates for a sedan.

13 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

i recently sold my extra 53-54 pontiac visor used for $500.00 with the trim mounting plates for a sedan.

I can get a new one for around that price. Not sure of the quality of course but I wouldn't have to worry about cosmetics. I can barely find a used one and leave it to Charles who had "an extra one." haha.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the offer and the reminder I finally got one. Got a little caught up and forgot to finish the post. I ended up getting the aftermarket one. Seems like good construction. Thought it would come with chrome on the backside but just glad to finally get one. Bit of a challenge installing as the instructions called for 3 people. Me, myself and I. 

IMG_7862.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Do you remember if there were any Indications of who manufactured it?  Thanks745DA604-56A0-4868-AAA0-517FACAA6B83.png.39068494b7fb229d544a1f046437fd76.pngnot sure if my last message got through to you. I have a 1954 star chief and was wondering where you got your windshield visor from and the mounting hardware.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:13 PM, Summershandy said:

Looking for an outside sunvisor for a '53 or '54 Pontiac Star Chief. I think it can also be for a Chieftain. Earlier years had split windshields so I think the body size was different. Unsure of the years above 1954. The only way would be to measure length with brackets and I think it's around 56" long. Thanks. 

sun visors 2.jpg

My 54 is a four-door like yoursMy 54 is a four-door like yours

These are not all the same. That last pic appears to be a hardtop. Note the straight bracket with the attachment screws in a straight line. I had a 53 Chevy 4 door with a visor that was probably factory (I bought it in 1976, did reproductions even exist then? I doubt it). That bracket was curved and the line of screws was curved. That area was curved to better match the attachment points on the sedan roof. Interestingly, the curve was not a perfect match but it was real close. It is likely this difference between hardtop and sedan carries over to Pontiac, and they might even be the same two sunvisors. The shape of my visor looked enough like @Summershandy's visor I assumed his was original until he said something. I doubt that one in the last pic would fit a sedan at all. On the sedan with the chopped roof you are going to have a dilemma anyway as the curved part will need to tilt back further, and maybe curve more.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)