Find more compass Stock # 250

Turbinator

Here is where I found the compass to be period correct for my car. The brochure is a GM print for 1963 Buicks. The brochure says my plastic compass has a rich chrome finish. My plastic cover is gray. I might paint the plastic cover red to match my interior or I might have it chromed.

BD038AC7-8D67-46DD-A805-D3533D200330.jpeg

514E56E7-3528-4C5D-8A83-149B808F1ECA.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

1963 Buick accessory brochure.jpg

This brochure I would speculate is Riviera specific. The compass shown here is more stylistic and in keeping with the Riviera uptown design. It looks like this compass mounts on the dash.

The compass I bought has a light so I can see what direction I’m traveling at night. The lighted compass will come in handy on a cloudy night when I can get my bearing on the North Star.

Even better I can get connected with GM’s service North Star for directions. With GM’s North Star, new compass, and my wife giving me directions I’ll never be lost.

Turbinator

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

The attached cord?  Accessory light to be plugged into cigar lighter? 

Looks like it is made just for your car.  Nice find.  Where did you find it?

Ed, I sorted the compass out on EBay. The box, the instructions, and even the little aluminum setting screw set look genuine. The aforementioned items  do not necessarily qualify the compass to be the real McCoy. My sense is the compass itself is an original manufacture from Dinsmore and was represented as authentic.

Turbinator

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

The attached cord?  Accessory light to be plugged into cigar lighter? 

Looks like it is made just for your car.  Nice find.  Where did you find it?

Ed, the idea of the light being powered by being plugged in to the cigarette lighter has even more cool factor appeal. I’m afraid I have to connect the wire to a feed for the instrument lighting.

(back to polishing hubcaps)

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Here is where I found the compass to be period correct for my car. The brochure is a GM print for 1963 Buicks. The brochure says my plastic compass has a rich chrome finish. My plastic cover is gray. I might paint the plastic cover red to match my interior or I might have it chromed.

BD038AC7-8D67-46DD-A805-D3533D200330.jpeg

514E56E7-3528-4C5D-8A83-149B808F1ECA.jpeg

Hi Bob,

Yes, the pages you pictured are in the `63 Buick Features And Facts book which is a salesman`s manual. I believe the Dinsmore compass pictured is a carryover illustration from an earlier edition. For instance, if you flip to the next page there is an illustration of a tissue dispenser that is definitely from an earlier edition. It`s a little before my time but I think the Dinsmore compass is more closely related to `50`s cars. The reference to a chrome finish is a red flag for me. I have never seen a `60`s factory compass, any `60`s factory compass, with a chrome finish.

I have owned the compass pictured in my post which was NOS in the box with part number listed in the `63 Buick parts book. I narrowly missed 2 which were for sale recently, again, in the original box with correct part number. Ironically, the "Star Wars" compass pictured in my post appears, or at least formerly appeared, on the dashboard of Villa Riviera, the Barris custom.

Tom

Tom, thank you for the detail and great information. When it comes to personal taste I maintain there is no argument. 

The Dinsmore Flint MI is stamped as such on the compass. I would suspect the compass would be installed by the dealer on a brand new purchase. I really don’t know.

i did see a chrome finish on this particular compass in two places on the internet. One location was a subscription site entitled “ What is it really worth” type pricing service.

The second location was a Lowrider magazine showing the chrome finish Dinsmore. I’m no longer with the lowrider crowd, but as a kid in LA in the mid sixties I rode low and slow as a passenger.

Ill send those links of the chrome finish Dinsmore compass.

Turninator

54 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, thank you for the detail and great information. When it comes to personal taste I maintain there is no argument. 

The Dinsmore Flint MI is stamped as such on the compass. I would suspect the compass would be installed by the dealer on a brand new purchase. I really don’t know.

i did see a chrome finish on this particular compass in two places on the internet. One location was a subscription site entitled “ What is it really worth” type pricing service.

The second location was a Lowrider magazine showing the chrome finish Dinsmore. I’m no longer with the lowrider crowd, but as a kid in LA in the mid sixties I rode low and slow as a passenger.

Turninator

Hi Bob,

Yes, all compasses would have been dealer installed, no factory installation.

I dont doubt the Dinsmore could have been obtained with a chrome finish, but I have never seen same on anything attributable to a "factory" `60`s era part, such as an NOS part or an original car with docs.

Tom

40 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bob,

Yes, all compasses would have been dealer installed, no factory installation.

I dont doubt the Dinsmore could have been obtained with a chrome finish, but I have never seen same on anything attributable to a "factory" `60`s era part, such as an NOS part or an original car with docs.

Tom

Tom, thank you. Makes plenty of sense and understood. Yes. The compass I have appears to be 50’s design. What I can say with complete confidence is aim delighted with the purchase and the way it looks. Fortunately for me the Riviera itself and the accessories GM sold for my 63 are such I do not have to make any modifications. The car is fine and accessories are fine the way they are.

Thank you

Turbinatot

Bob,

If you've got any kind of "proof" that this compass may have been a dealer installed option in '63, you're gold.  How many people would even question something like that?  Are you planning to go for a 400 point BCA award? Would the judges know if the compass was from an earlier year?  You can substantiate your compass.  Learn to love it.  As I've said in the past:  Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Ed

Ed, I don’t know anything about a 400 point BCA judging. I just don’t know. 

I can say with certainty I’m going for as close to a 100 point Bob Burnopp owned 63 Riviera. I do not have proof such as dealer invoice indicating the Dinsmore Compass was installed by a dealer. You do stir my interest and suggest a good reason I put on my History Detective cap and find out.

Turbinator

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Turninator

that compass is a great find!  They sure are pricey on eBay.

I grew up in South San Diego - I was surrounded by Low Rider culture.

Chris

1 hour ago, first64riv said:

that compass is a great find!  They sure are pricey on eBay.

I grew up in South San Diego - I was surrounded by Low Rider culture.

Chris

Chris, I can not say I was in the Lowrider culture because I didn't have a lowrider. Secondly, at the time the Chicanos  was pretty much a closed group. My feelings weren't hurt.

A lot of my older friends had 53 Bel Air's, 64 Impala SS, etc. I was happy I got a ride in any car because I did not have to walk.

I found a pic of the chrome finish Dinsmore Compass.

Turbinator

IMG_1352.JPG

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Interesting that Barris thought the factory compass design "crazy enough" to be included in this space age interior. Also notice the purse hook for the ladies!!

Tom

10-13-15-Villa-Riviera-interior-1.jpg

Tom, found a pic of the chrome finish Dinsmore compass. I ve never seen a Dinsmore right on the spot, so a pic is a pic. The pic was in Jalopy magazine. My memory is fading, but I could have bet I saw a pic of a chrome finish Dinsmore compass with the Buick tri shield. I was leafing through Gene Garnere's stack and saw the compass. Gene said he's never seen a chrome compass. Purse hook for the lady. Funny what ladies carry in their purse. Did you ever see a 45 RPM record player in a car? Well, I saw one and even played the records in Frank's 55 Chex in mid sixties. The record side you wanted to play went on the spindle with the side you wanted to play facing the ground. The stylus  was pointed toward the sky when the activated. Do not hit any bumps! It was cool at the time, the records were scratched all over and the sound was not so good, still fun.

Turbinator

IMG_1352.JPG

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

You have the brochure and anyone who's anyone will know that no compass was factory installed.  My next question:  100 point Bob Burnopp owned 1963 Riviera.  100 out of 100 or 400? 🤔

Ed,   I have no plans to make the Red Riviera a 400 point car. A few more items taken care of and I'll be okay. I need the AC reinstalled, the dash touched up where I scraped it putting it in the car, and eliminate the noise in the radio and that should be "it". Oh, I want to revisit the POR 15 job on the under carriage and get the spots I missed in the channels of the X frame.

Just now, 1965rivgs said:

Very nice Bill, I like the red symbol in the face of your black compass. Was that a Dinsmore trademark? Does the chrome version also have the symbol? If not, I`d prefer the black version..

Tom

Tom, I think the red symbol is not a Dinsmore logo/trademark. The earlier Dinsmore compass did not have the single chevron. The earlier Dinsmore did have " Dinsmore Flint MI" stamped on the outside. There are repros of the Dinsmore compasses available and advertised as such. If I were going to buy a second collector car it would be the 50 Chevrolet DeLuxe coupe. I had the 50 DeLuxe coupe my Uncle gave me so I could go to "school." 

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Chris, I can not say I was in the Lowrider culture because I didn't have a lowrider. Secondly, at the time the Chicanos  was pretty much a closed group. My feelings weren't hurt.

A lot of my older friends had 53 Bel Air's, 64 Impala SS, etc. I was happy I got a ride in any car because I did not have to walk.

I found a pic of the chrome finish Dinsmore Compass.

Turbinator

IMG_1352.JPG

I have lived in los angeles all my life and yes i was part of the low rider culture in the 70's . I had a 1967 riviera at the time and was in a car club. While It is a fact that american mexicans such as myself where the majority of low riders at the time , it certainly was not a " closed group . We had blacks, asians, whites , etc. pretty much a microcosm of the city itself and not only in our club but every club i knew of at the time and i knew most of them . Basically if you had a low rider and could pay the weekly dues ($2 per week) you were in. I dont know what made you feel it was a closed group. The only reason it would be closed to you is if you did not have a low rider which as you stated you did not have. Race would not have kept you out.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I was in the same boat as I was too young to drive at that time.  A few of my friends had siblings and family members that were into low riders.

I

2 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I have lived in los angeles all my life and yes i was part of the low rider culture in the 70's . I had a 1967 riviera at the time and was in a car club. While It is a fact that american mexicans such as myself where the majority of low riders at the time , it certainly was not a " closed group . We had blacks, asians, whites , etc. pretty much a microcosm of the city itself and not only in our club but every club i knew of at the time and i knew most of them . Basically if you had a low rider and could pay the weekly dues ($2 per week) you were in. I dont know what made you feel it was a closed group. The only reason it would be closed to you is if you did not have a low rider which as you stated you did not have. Race would not have kept you out.

I don't think he was thinking of this as a race thing.  It's just like any other club...very clique-y.  I know that when I go to shows a lot of guys are too wrapped up talking to their friends and not engaging to the people admiring their cars.  To each their own but I definitely love talking and teaching people about a hobby that I completely enjoy.  Not having a low rider doesn't help though!

Good stuff guys!

Chris

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, first64riv said:

I was in the same boat as I was too young to drive at that time.  A few of my friends had siblings and family members that were into low riders.

I

I don't think he was thinking of this as a race thing.  It's just like any other club...very clique-y.  I know that when I go to shows a lot of guys are too wrapped up talking to their friends and not engaging to the people admiring their cars.  To each their own but I definitely love talking and teaching people about a hobby that I completely enjoy.  Not having a low rider doesn't help though!

Good stuff guys!

Chris

Gents, I'm all in. Clique-y is a much better way to describe what my "sense" was at the time. The fact I did not have a car in LA ( Lomita ) at all doesn't even quality me to say the Lowriders were a closed group. My mistake on that comment. I was very much an admirer of the lowrider styling in the mid sixties. Hydraulics were new, very new. Most of the guys I knew clamped the springs down. For wire wheels there were these "chrome wired baskets" that were fastened to an extended bracket on chrome wheels topped of with a chrome two bar spinner. Looked good, real good.  Pearl Essence paint was new, or maybe it was lacquer that gave the paint so much depth. The modified look of the lowrider car I think is the best appearance. I'm still mystified about why bouncing contests are fun. I just don't know.  A friend of mine had a lowered 65 Impala SS he let me borrow when I got my license. I was all of 18 years old in 68 and I was the "Dude" around town driving the 65 lowered Impala. My Riviera is stock. The Riviera is 5" off the ground and with arthritis and my weight it's all I can do to get in and out without kicking the kick panel. Here is a pic of my ride at my home in Lutherville Md.

DSC_0333.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

Red Riviera on South Lawn.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Very nice Bill, I like the red symbol in the face of your black compass. Was that a Dinsmore trademark? Does the chrome version also have the symbol? If not, I`d prefer the black version..

Tom

Tom, I've looked at many of the Dinsmore compasses. It seems they made the compass for a long time. The earlier Dinsmore compass did not have the red symbol you specify. I think Dinsmore may have been trying to sell to the Chevy owners. Again, I'm only speculating why the symbol that looks like a chevron on the compass. The pic I show of mine shows the compass as black, but the compass is gray. Gray and Red go together ok. The feature I like the compass I have is the light feature. I'm backed up on "shining hubcaps" right now so I'll get the compass installed a bit later.

Turbinator

Turbinator, you sound like you would have fit in PERFECTLY with the group i was riding with . I surely would have welcomed you with open arms. Maybe even let you hit the switches so you could experience why  hopping a car with hydraulics was so much fun. I had them in my riviera and in time it ruined the car. Good times!

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, RivNut said:

You have the brochure and anyone who's anyone will know that no compass was factory installed.  My next question:  100 point Bob Burnopp owned 1963 Riviera.  100 out of 100 or 400? 🤔

Ed, as close to 100 out of my 100 point criteria. I’m not up to date on Buick 400 point awards. I suppose I could look up the criteria for 400 points BCA award.

Thank you for the idea.

Turbinator

43 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, as close to 100 out of my 100 point criteria. I’m not up to date on Buick 400 point awards. I suppose I could look up the criteria for 400 points BCA award.

Thank you for the idea.

Turbinator

I"m not by any means an authority on the BCA judging but I far as I know it's trying to get your car to look as original as possible.  I think everyone starts out with 400 points and losses are accumulated for non stock items.  Points deducted for a battery that's not an ACDelco,  points deducted for having radial tires on a car that came only with bias ply tires.  I don't know if they judge the date codes on spark plug wires, but I know guys that make sure their wires are dated correctly.  I'm betting there are BCA guys who can tell you exactly what the judges look for on a '63 Riviera.  MrRivera can explain in more detail, he's usually in charge of judging the first generation Rivieras at the national meets.

Ed, I really don’t think I’m in that 400 point league. I have attention to detail, but I have my limits. 

I bet it would be fun had I started out that way.

Oh, by the way I have seen the Dinsmore compass chrome finish compass for sale, but not installed. Since the Buick sales brochure says the chrome finish was an option that is close enough for me. The brochure I have is no problem to prove the info is legitimate.

Turbinator

8 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, I really don’t think I’m in that 400 point league. I have attention to detail, but I have my limits. 

I bet it would be fun had I started out that way.

Oh, by the way I have seen the Dinsmore compass chrome finish compass for sale, but not installed. Since the Buick sales brochure says the chrome finish was an option that is close enough for me. The brochure I have is no problem to prove the info is legitimate.

Turbinator

I entered my 1963 in the 400 point judging at the 2017 BCA National Meet in Brookfield, WI. I had a non GM, non Buick compass in my car and did not receive any point deductions for that. I have not read the BCA points judging rules in detail to search for this particular situation. I think that with some accessories such as a compass if it is period correct as mine was it will be OK. If I remember correctly there were at least 3-4 people in the crew judging my car. If it was something that was a deduction I would think that at least one of them would have spoken up or it may just have been that the judges were being lenient. Put it in and enjoy it. It is cool.

Bill

Riv 7.jpg

• 4 years later...