Column Shift 1995

JZRIV

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

I guess I never paid enough attention but ran across a 1995 with column shift and don’t recall seeing one or even that it was an option but obviously it was. 

I’m sure someone has more detail on this. 

Yep, for '95 cloth bench seat was standard, the next option was leather bench, both had column shift.

021.thumb.JPG.54250d4e0b42c7c94a26dfa96f73a06c.JPG

The leather bucket, with console was the next option, I believe it was the highest option for that year.

628521842_DarkJadestoneMetallic000.5.thumb.JPG.76af0f5958b9f007d8a13372f3a8584e.JPG

• Like 2

My understanding that the 1995 basic Riviera had in fact a bench seat (60/40 w/ pull down arm rest), column shift lever, and naturally aspirated.  Bucket seats, console, and super charger were options (among other options) with the SD Luxury and SE Prestige packages.  When buying my 1996 w/ Prestige package Riviera back in the day, there was a 1995 basic Riv on the dealer's used car lot.  

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow I didn’t know that.

It really makes the sweep of the dash more dramatic. I wished the console was not connected. I put real burl wood veneer on mine at the time.

It was an expensive kit that appeared factory. I miss that car.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, PWB said:

Wow I didn’t know that.

It really makes the sweep of the dash more dramatic. I wished the console was not connected. I put real burl wood veneer on mine at the time.

It was an expensive kit that appeared factory. I miss that car.

Paul,

I once owned both '96 and '97 Rivieras as family daily drivers.  I too still miss them.  Also, at the 2010 ROA National meet, I witnessed Rivman (Randall Crain) install a wood "like" veneer on the dash of a member's Riviera in the hotel parking lot.  The more beers he had, the easier it seem he was working!!:D 

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JZRIV said:

I guess I never paid enough attention but ran across a 1995 with column shift and don’t recall seeing one or even that it was an option but obviously it was. 

As for details ...

Here is a sticker for a pretty loaded '95. Under "Standard Equipment" it shows it comes with a 6-way power seat, then under the "Options" column, it shows the bucket seats/console was a $650 option.

2116758977_42596468_2086358391428492_7661119803679047680_o(2).thumb.jpg.ca570556c1fe1292bebf124b4ce3ec54.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I put a burl wood kit in my '95 too …

544186455_OriginalPics-2012.thumb.jpg.7088067c39ce4e84eb17420ec004ea78.jpg

I bought a Sherwood kit, because at the time they were the only ones that manufactured a ONE piece panel for across the dash, all the others had a kit that was five pieces. I wanted to go that way because I thought it gave it a better/cleaner look.

The '95 is the only year that the radio/HVAC controls were recessed, after that they were protruding from the dash panel, like the examples Ed posted above.

This dark wood is the best looking one of all the kits.  I was looking for an example when I posted the two that I did but couldn't find one.  Thanks for posting this one; it's outstanding.  Kinda makes me want to see what's out there in the way of one of these last generation Rivieras.  The '95 that I had was a really nice car but I got an offer for it that I couldn't refuse.  I miss the ride and the performance.

5 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I have a '95 interior all set to install in my first '65. I think it will fit, with some small adjustments of course, and would look great! Of course, that is my "100 Year" plan as of now, it is way way on the back burner.

I think that you should push that one to one of the front burners.  I've never measured one of the last generation interiors to see how well it might fit.  How close is it and what "adjustments" do you think you'll need to do?  Do your plans include incorporating the door panels into the conversion as well?  Have you tried photoshopping anything like this?

Ed,

The only real issue one has to be on the lookout for with the 95-99 (8th generation) Riviera is possible sub frame rusting around tranny and motor mounts.  Prices of this era Riv are very reasonable...I've been keeping an eye out as of late.:ph34r:  

First thing I've learned to check for.  Real bargaining chip;  as is the side to side wobble in the steering column.  I replaced the cushions for the motor cradle on my '95.  Wasn't too bad (I had it done 😏) luckily there wasn't any rust. The rubber just got old.  I've done the same to my '90.  The bolts had rusted on it.  Took some time to get them out but the new bolts went in fine.  If I were truly interested, I  would head south out of the rust belt to look at anything.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Thanks for the replies. Next question.

Anyone have a guesstimate on what percentage of 95 production had column shift? 

Is this a test?:D

I would think they were pretty rare.  I'm basing my opinion on:

In 1997 I bought my '96 former-lease Riviera, and then in 1998 my '97 former-lease Riviera...both from my local now long gone Buick dealership.  This is where I saw the one and only used '95 column shifter/bench seat/non-sc Riviera for sale.  The dealership was a big former-lease Buick sales operation (in addition to selling new Buicks).

I'd assume a very low percentage even though production of the 8th generation Riviera was highest in 1995, falling each year through 1999. 

I bought one of those Rivieras in 2011 as a potential engine donor car for my '86 Park Ave engine. I drove it for a few months and decided to rebuild my stock drivetrain. The cars are really nice to drive. During the time I owned it I looked at some options for a keeper.

This car really stood out with its cleaned up bumper covers.

CarShots001.jpg.d51a2690f9e155162cb131e2249778f5.jpg

CarShots006.jpg.992a5a3b38e01637783658598a4a37eb.jpg

CarShots052.jpg.d1a7689c91bc055b11b4011e03dc209c.jpg

I had saved those custom Riviera pictures from 2011 because I really liked how it came out. Looking at the pictures this morning caused a brain fart.

Look at it compared to the car I bought last year. Strange.

Riv.JPG.7ff4858fcc94f69ddc83b6906e140957.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DShip said:

Is this a test?:D

Yes for the next 60 seconds. 😳 or 60 days. 

Ok so the console was optional but more like a “standard” option. So maybe less than 10% with column........or more?

Maybe Like the driver door remote mirror in 66-67.  Optional but overwhelming majority got it and it’s uncommon to see one without. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Look at it compared to the car I bought last year. Strange.

I had the same thought -- thanks for saving me the trouble of looking for the photos!  ;)  I concur regarding those re-worked Riviera bumper covers!  Did the owner have that done by a local body shop?

The car was the subject of a detailed project by two brothers on The Riviera Performance Board. I read every page. The bumpers were fiberglass.  That Riviera model kind of morphed into the 4 door Lucerne, lots of unibody parts are shared. I was looking at Lucernes. I guess the style stuck with me.

Good read on the bumpers if you have a snowy day like here.

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t5729-write-up-front-rear-bumper-modification?highlight=fiberglass+bumper

• Like 1

I'm betting that there were sales incentives to dealers and their salesmen to make sure that these were brought up during discussions with customers wanting to order cars.  And that cars ordered by dealers were so equipped because of those incentives.  (When did customers quit ordering cars and just take what they could find from the selection on the dealer's lot?)*   It's hard to imagine who would want one without bucket seats and the console.  Where's Darwin and his "Options included" series on the '95.  The Evolution of the Riviera series on the ROA's website was written by Ed Gunyo but in reality sounds more like a pitch from Buick itself.  It touts all of the new and improved reasons to purchase a Riviera but goes into no detail about engines (normally aspirated vs supercharged) or the base and optional interior packages.

Ed

*My older daughter and her husband ordered a new Ford Explorer back in 2014 and it took them somewhere close to seven weeks to get it delivered.  I don't think today's car buyers have the patience to wait for time periods like that.  They get the urge and want it now.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, JZRIV said:

Just as an FYI …

While looking for “Cars for Sale” for the Riview classifieds I ran across a couple of samples of the last generation “without” buckets. I figured I would share what I found, since the question was asked.

The burgundy sample below is a ’95, and the blue is a ’96. You can see the difference of how the radio/HVAC is in the dash too. The radio was recessed on the ’95, that changed in ’96, and ran that way until ‘99.

1995_buick_riviera-pic-1702637226997531690-1024x768.jpg.b4f22e24fd65d5163e57f836d8b6a611.jpg

00E0E_bExy1c43MyS_1200x900.thumb.jpg.8b47b90ee2c59c761ec69a620c9e5b16.jpg

The “cloth” bench was “standard” through ’97, so the “leather” bench and/or buckets was optional until ‘98. The ’96 sticker I found shows the leather bench was a $600 option, so if someone was ordering it that way, they must have really wanted the bench, but with leather instead of cloth? You can see from the sticker I posted it was only $50 more to get the buckets and console.

The ’96 sticker listed the “Standard Equipment” a bit different than the ’95 sticker, and the base price was a bit higher, but the “Options” seemed to be the same. The ’96 sticker listed the leather bench as follows …

JADESTONE LEATHER/VINYL 55/45                                                                                                            600.00

FRONT SEAT WITH STORAGE ARMREST

Just thought I would add a little clarification to Jason’s question, not that it really matters, just a bit of completely useless information.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, JZRIV said:

Thanks for the replies. Next question.

Anyone have a guesstimate on what percentage of 95 production had column shift? 

I would guesstimate a “very” low percentage, for “all” the years it was standard equipment!

I think I have seen “one only” with a cloth bench, and just a handful with a leather bench. It does seem I am seeing them a bit more often recently in ads for sale, but not too many that’s for sure.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, Rivman said:

I remember that, it was Ed & Sherry's '99, they call it their Bronze Arrow ...

Yep, a few hours, a few beers, a small audience, and I got all but the doors finished in the parking lot …

DSC00508.thumb.JPG.fab5772ca4f0dd95cb1fb8307393ab79.JPG

Lordy! Looking at the handsome chaps in this pic, there's a ton of ROA overhead there! :D Umpteen years 

And yep Randall that Burgundy 95 example you posted is the same Pittsburgh car I saw that made me ask this question.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

2 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

To change the subject a bit, that's a pretty
Aqua Mist Riv in the background! :D Anybody know what year it is and who it belong(s)/(ed) to?

There are no pictures to verify what I'm posting but on the ROA's website there's a list of winner for each class for the 2010 meet in Harrisburg, PA.  A Claire McLean is shown as a class winner for her 1968 Aqua.  Whether this is the same car as the one in the background is anyone's guess.

Addendum.  I just looked at the ROA roster and Clair McLean is still listed as an active member.  #74XX.  Our own Randy Hunter's gray 1968 Was the First Place winner for that class.

Sorry,, I've gotten off topic here so back to the 8th generation thread

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Believe you are correct Ed. I remember seeing it being loaded on a rollback along the PA turnpike on the way home due to mechanical problem. There was a showcase done on Clair's car sometime after that. Mike if you search the ROA Index of Articles under Members Showcase 1968 on ROA website you can look up the issue it was in and view it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Didn't mean to high jack this thread. Please return to the regularly scheduled programming!

Not a problem at all Mike, I'm sure you have seen several posts stray from the "original" on lots of occasions, as we all have. I should have left it alone myself, and left it to the experts to answer Jason's original question.

I have deleted my posts that did not pertain.