Why So Many Dealer Signs from India?

DB26

On that certain auction website I’ve seen a lot of “Dodge Brothers Approved Service Station” and other versions of DB dealer signs for sale, but coming from India. They’re usually large and cost a few hundred dollars. Is there a reason this type sign is coming from there? Seems like an oddly specific and bulky item for them to produce for the American market. 

In the 1970's we sent our scrap steel to Japan they returned it to us in many ways (like bearings) we all ways said our bearings were better back then. Now in to days world most all machines are the same and we recycle our scrap steel so if their's a market countries will make it (Even Myers Early Dodge Parts has some products made in other countries) Our world has become much smaller now. 100 year old parts are hard to find now just be blessed someone has the machinery to reproduce them to keep our old Dodges running. I have a DB sign its been outside for over 20 years now with the sun its hard to read but that won't get done until my Dodges are done-- yep-- original parts cost money. 

Not that long ago, the local car club that I am in wanted to purchase some hat badges. We did so through a local (Australian) company that we use for our trophies and stuff. You guessed it, supplied from and made in India. Good quality and much cheaper than badges produced in Australia. Just email the file of what you want to India and get the badges returned to you very quickly. I suppose they can produce the the DB signs in a similar fashion. Seems to be the way of the world theses days. Not saying I agree with it, but I do tire swimming against the tide!!

There was something about the process of making enameled or porcelain signs that somehow became extremely expensive to do in the US.  Naturally with lesser overhead and restrictions the process moved to India.  I have a few old repro signs that have actually gained in value over this change.  Eventually India will have issues and some other country will take its place.

• Like 1

I've noticed a lot of smaller  single sided signs with bare metal backs and always thought those were reproductions but what about the  40" or larger double sided signs  from India, not the ones that are obviously new repops but the ones that have some age to them, are those authentic ?

If you do a search for "double sided sign India" you see there's approximately 50 that come up currently. Obvious repops in my opinion are ones like the Gasoline Motor Oils 24 & 36" round Indian Chief  but a couple of the Goodyear signs look legit.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I wonder if the double sided and some of the others are “aged” to appear old.  When the reproduction signs were easy to find and buy they were in pristine condition. Today the signs seem to be old but I would question the authenticity.  Still, they can be a bargain when looking for garage decorations.  At a local auction a few months back, think of it as a Barrett Jackson of automobillia, a rare sign sold for $66,000.  Others sold for crazy money as well.  Too much for my budget!

223347358623 is another one that looks like it has some age. Note the American Signs Corp in very small letters, they would have been around from the early days out of Kokomo MI I believe if I recall from memory .

I believe both of these to be authentic.