seafoam vs stabil

nick8086

I purchased an old fire truck that has not run in many a years.

It has an electric pump on it so I put the pickup hose in the can of seafoam and turned on the pump.

This filled up the carb and I let it sit for a day.

When I hooked up the gas and turned it over, it started very quickly and there was no need to fiddle with the carb.

I wouldn't use either........when storing over the winter or long periods of time use VP Racing fuel for classic cars.......it has a six year shelf life. Drain the tank, fill with five gallons of vp.........to the top if you can afford it, then run for a mile around the block. That way the carb, pump, and lines all have VP in them. You will NEVER have any issues this way........

• Thanks 1

I use ethanol free gas and have never used anything in my gas, not during the summer and not over the winter.  

Even during the first 5  years I was on active duty in the USAF and my 1933 Chevrolet sat in a garage for the entire time, never had a problem.  Came home, got a new battery and the car started right up.

• Like 3

Good subject..... I've been using Stabil over 30 years in my cars and small engines as well ( mowers, generators, leaf blowers etc. ) I normally fill  up the tank, add the required amount of Stabil and run the engines for 20 to 30 mins. I normally do this towards the end of November and then I'll start the engines during the winter months - once or twice per month ( I also run the A/C and heater as well ) . Normally by end of March or the beginning of April - depending on road conditions, I'm back in business.. - never had an issue. I just recently started to use Seafoam on my daily driver to keep the injectors clean - vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it. So I'm new to the Seaform... a friend of mine been using it for years and likes it as well.

Gasoline is formulated differently in many metropolitan areas.  Where I’m from you cannot buy fuel without alcohol and all the additional additives. I have had carburetors get gummed up,  floats stuck,  and jets Plugged all in less than 60 days.  The best option for laying up  any length of time,  is  some type of aviation gas or racing fuel.  Even at $10 a gallon it’s still much cheaper than fixing the car.

33 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Gasoline is formulated differently in many metropolitan areas.  Where I’m from you cannot buy fuel without alcohol and all the additional additives. I have had carburetors get gummed up,  floats stuck,  and jets Plugged all in less than 60 days.  The best option for laying up  any length of time,  is  some type of aviation gas or racing fuel.  Even at $10 a gallon it’s still much cheaper than fixing the car.

I guess we are lucky in Michigan.  We have lots of lakes here so you can get ethanol free with no additives all over in Michigan.  Marine engines do not like ethanol one bit.  It costs about $4 a gallon during the summer on average.  That is the only fuel I burn in the cars.  It has really helped for both driving, maintaining, and storing the cars.  

Absolutely agree that getting the better the gas will save you money versus the repairs down the road!