1913 REO Roadster Seattle WA craigslist

NOT MINE

BARN FRESH 1913 REO ROADSTER UN RESTORED RUNS AND DRIVES - $22500 (Snohomish)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/barn-fresh-1913-reo-roadster-un/6776787101.html

This is an original barn fresh car and was placed in storage in the early 20's, then in 1941 it was painted and some mechanical work done I have the original receipt for this work. Then back in storage until 2013. It was removed and made to run and drive. The main and rod bearings rebabbited, rings were replaced with new and valves were ground. The motor starts with ease and runs along very well. Lot's of power. The multiple disc clutch works well does not slip and the transmission shifts very easy. The brakes do a very good job of stopping the car. The radiator does an excellent job of cooling and has never overheated when we toured the Reo.

It drives easy and runs well at higher speed. We have toured this car over the years and it has never left us on the side of the road. A newer magneto has been fitted and the original ignition system comes with the car. This car has its original electric starter which works as it should, its amazing how quickly it starts. Maybe 2 rotations and its running. We replaced the tires several years ago and all hold air and have good tread. There is a Klaxon electric horn that works well. The car has a speedometer (no cable or drive)and a Reo script clock. Also included is a working Reo moto meter.

Original top is tattered but complete or good for patterns, top bows are in very good shape and top goes up and down easily. The original leather upholstery is solid but shows some signs of wear. It appears that the body was repainted in 1941 I have the original receipt of that work. This is a fun car to tour in with plenty of horse power to move it down the road.

Included with the purchase is a 2nd motor, mostly complete with a rod out the side of #3 cylinder. A spare transmission, a spare clutch plus some extra misc spare parts. This car is titled and licensed with a genuine Yellowstone Park plate registered to the car. This appears to be a Yellowstone tribute car. The only reason for the sale is that I am now 75 years old and starting to downsize my collection. Sorry to let it go but you can't keep them forever Any questions don't hesitate to ask. Stop by and take a test drive hear it run. It is located in western Washington just north of Seattle.

00C0C_4v4pslZGjY2_1200x900.jpg

00707_7LLfwLHxpgr_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_6PtlzmBWowy_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_jICgL21D3kF_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_8LPdDtMaIJF_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_hEkiKzSkPm7_1200x900.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Unusual valve configuration--looks like one overhead valve per cylinder (intake?) and the other valves (exhaust) must be down in the engine flathead style? Is this what they call an F-head engine?
Pete Phillips

Leonard, TX

This is the REO F-head. They used this engine until '25 or so in the speedwagon's at least (updating to North East generator/distributor combo instead of the mag), not sure how long they kept it in the cars.

• Like 1

While REO used an F head up through 25, it was hardly the same engine. It was more conventional, in that it had a cast single block engine with a removable F head cylinder head. I'm not sure when they last used the headless jugs as in the car above, maybe another REO enthusiast can shed a little more light on this...

Frank

There's nothing unusual about it at all... it's "Intake over Exhaust" and was probably the most common form of brass era engine. There were far fewer T head and OHV engines. slightly more unusual is "Exhaust over Intake" like the Mitchell.

The REO engine was introduced in 1910 with the Model R and was used up through the early 20s. What was a little unusual about it was that it had no removable sump. The lower crankcase is a "barrel" casting. The connecting rods are hinged and accessible through ports in the side. Also, the main bearings could be taken up from the outside of the engine.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

I don't quite get the paint scheme with all the logos and lettering.  Was that done in 1941?  It looks newer than this.  I do remember discussion about a Reo roadster pulled out of storage a few years ago, but I don't recall this color scheme.

Interesting car, I once had a 1917 Reo touring, and it was really long legged....would go down the road quite well, a pleasure to drive, except for the one pedal that controlled both brake and clutch....THAT took some getting used to!!

The roadster that was discussed on the previous thread was a different car although I think it was the same year and, as I remember, was sold for much less than the asking price of this one. I corresponded briefly with the buyer who sounded to me as if he knew what he was doing - something I worry about with first time purchasers of brass cars.

2 hours ago, oldford said:

While REO used an F head up through 25, it was hardly the same engine. It was more conventional, in that it had a cast single block engine with a removable F head cylinder head. I'm not sure when they last used the headless jugs as in the car above, maybe another REO enthusiast can shed a little more light on this...

Frank

Frank would have more info on the engine you speak of? You may be thinking of the T-6 engine (6 cylinders), There was no 4 cylinder in a single block configuration as far as I remember, they were all cast in pairs I think.

1923-Reo-engine-new2.jpg

Yes, the 25 Reo was indeed the T6. This, as you say, was a 6 cylinder F head as shown above. I was not clear enough in my statement above, but only tried to highlight the fact that the F head referenced for 1925 was not the same as the 4 cylinder F head.

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)

1 hour ago, oldford said:

Yes, the 25 Reo was indeed the T6. This, as you say, was a 6 cylinder F head as shown above. I was not clear enough in my statement above, but only tried to highlight the fact that the F head referenced for 1925 was not the same as the 4 cylinder F head.

Frank

Gotcha...

I think they brought out the T-6 about 1920 and continued to offer both concurrently until '25 when the 4 was dropped. My '24 speedwagon had the big 4 cast in pairs but I have seen same year speedwagons with the single block T-6.... or the 4 cylinder cast in pairs until '25. No idea when they phased the 4 cast In pairs out of the passenger car line. 

Those 4 cylinders are neat to watch... never heard a T-6 yet.

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

Years ago I bought a wrecked 4-cylinder REO engine from a local farmer. At the time, he told me he still had the truck and did I want to see it? He did, albeit a very rusty chassis beside a fallen-down barn. It had the 6 in it...the engine he'd put in to replace the 4.

PRICE REDUCTION!!!!!! 

I am moving and really don't want to move and store this Reo. So I will take $20,000.00 otherwise is goes into deep storage and forgotten. It is a really good brass era car and will offer some one a very nice car to tour with. I can store it until spring at no charge. It's up to you now if you want a great running brass era automobile. I can email a video of the motor running if you would like it. 

brasscarguy 206-919-1949.