57 caballero project brakes

sherwood3333

"Adjusted"? Is that all? If so you might have the wheel cylinder cups riding in the brown mud in a different location.

If you have done a complete brake job and it still pulls, "someone" might have reused the old return springs.

Bernie

The springs usually look good and have paint on them, but you can't really know the age unless you put them on or have documentation. Pits in rusty springs can indicate changes in their metallurgy or a possibility of breaking. My policy is "when in doubt, change them out". The same goes for lining. I have seen aged lining with very little wear that doesn't stop well. It tends to lose the flexibility and gripping power with age. Fresh lining material can make a big difference. I would stay away from NOS shoes.

Changes in braking that come and go depending on the car sitting for a while would make me suspect the rubber hoses. They will delaminate and trap pressure on the wheel side. I have disconnected them and run a piece of #10 electric wire through them to check. That can confirm a problem, but you might as well replace the hose at that point.

Sometimes it is hard to find a listing for the rear brake hose on a Buick at the torque tube. I had to have one made for my '60.

All new brakes and drums is pretty ambiguous if someone told you, actually, even if you did it yourself. Five people will give you five different length lists.

• Thanks 1

It may be time to get mad :o and make some hard stops (short of locking the brakes) from high speed in a safe location...could be some rough edges on the shoes.

If no joy try backing off the adjustment 5 clicks on each wheel... a dragging shoe will heat, swell and lose effectiveness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1