Liftful thinking

Blue90

That is a good looking 4 post lift but for working on a car I prefer the 2 post design with arms that reach out to go under frame of the car. It makes it much easier to work on suspension parts and is less intrusive in the garage when not being used.  I have a friend that bought a 2 post lift to work on his race car. He got it for about $2300 delivered and installed.  I was amazed he got it that cheap. I doubt it is rated at 7000 lbs like the one you are looking at.  His race car only weighs about 2300 lbs.  If the ceiling was higher I would have one in my garage.   If you are wanting a lift to hold a car in the air while you store another underneath the 4 post lift is the way to go.

wish I had the room, I had to cut a hole in the top of my garage. works ok but I could use a bit more head room. My wife is short so I just give her a towel and cleaner for the underside. she does a good job most of the time but I have to stay after her..I told her that I should be able to down a couple of brews and she should be done by then

I hope if anyone buys into this I have some ocean front property for sale

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Booreatta said:

wish I had the room, I had to cut a hole in the top of my garage. works ok but I could use a bit more head room. My wife is short so I just give her a towel and cleaner for the underside. she does a good job most of the time but I have to stay after her..I told her that I should be able to down a couple of brews and she should be done by then

I hope if anyone buys into this I have some ocean front property for sale

If that story is true "You might be a Redneck"...

6 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Steve, if that is your shop you might be my new best friend!

Lol! A little far to come use the lift but it would be a nice road trip. Here's another pic of this structure. It's about 100 feet from the back door of the house. The lift is in the one car bay. I currently have the Tee Bird off the frame and on a rotisserie  behind the window / entry door.

273.JPG

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't have a great picture of mine .....when we built a new house in 1996 I was just going to duplicate the workshop I had at the previous house.   Friends at work strongly suggested I get a lift but at that time there were no "hobbies lifts"

meaning you had to go commercial and that cost more $$.    I found an ad in the local paper for a used lift,  the seller was in real estate and was converting a auto repair shop into office space,  so he had this 2 post used lift.

I think I paid $1,200 and he delivered it to the new building site.  

I checked with the lift manufacturer and they said all I needed was 4 inches of "good" concrete to anchor the lift.   The contractor that was building our place said he would make sure I had enough concrete.

I checked the slab the day before the poured it and they had made two holes about 18 inches deep and 5 feet x 3 feet with about as much rebar as the rest of the shop.    I was able to drill holes in the concrete at least 10 inches deep and used 10 inch concrete anchor bolts........have never worried about it moving. 1523863044_3redcars.jpg.49c6e3f649653151b76b207654fc8b21.jpg  Forgot to mention that we had to enlarge the workshop because of the lift.   It needed 9 ft between the post,  I was original allowing 20 wide for 2 cars (the original shop was 40 ft long)  since the lift needed 9 ft plus some space on the wall side we make the shop 44 feet long .  the part you see with the lift is 12 feet high,  they were able to make the other end two story, so we ended up with a 22 x 24 room upstairs.   It has a 3 ft wide stairway and room to store all my old car books and other thing in the upper level.

A few years later,  I had run out of covered space so I added the "carport" addition so my truck was not sitting in the Texas heat.

shop 5.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2018 at 12:04 PM, fordrodsteven said:

bought my two post 9,000 lb lift from Greg Smith Equipment. They have locations all around the US. I paid right at $2100 dollars. I put it up myself. I am SOOOOO glad I have it. It sure beats trying to get a car up a little bit then crawling around on the floor!

2016-09-23 garage lift 012.JPG

In Mass and no insulation?  What were you thinking?:P. What a shop!

Ben

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

In Mass and no insulation?  What were you thinking?:P. What a shop!

Ben

Thank you, I really am very happy with the garage / work space. I had been thinking about insulating but put those thoughts aside. I kind of went WAY over budget when I was building the garage. There were a lot of fees involved and then time waiting for town meetings to get special variances due to property line setback. The foundation ended up being the full amount of my original planned budget. I originally planned on spending about $35-$40K but ended up at just over $100K. My wife was not very appreciative of the hit on the 401K. I still have a bit to spend on some equipment and the rebuild of my '55 Bird. I decided to spend on that rather than insulate.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, fordrodsteven said:

My wife was not very appreciative of the hit on the 401K

Gotcha there!😄

17 minutes ago, fordrodsteven said:

I still have a bit to spend on some equipment

There are never enough tools.🚘

It is a fantastic work space.  Your wife really must love you.😊

• Like 1