Locomobile 6 cylinder engine parts wanted

alsfarms

• 1 year later...

I called the number that was listed and spoke to "Nelson".  He said I was the fourth person who had called him about the motor/chassis.  He said it was located in Van Nuys, CA.  He said it was in on property that was being cleared and it would take a crane to get it out of the location.  He said he didn't own the stuff he had gone there to purchase a Model A Ford roadster but wasn't able to purchase that.  He was looking around the property and found the Locomobile.  He said he didn't know older cars but was able to identify the motor because of the name cast into the heads.  He said is was still in a chassis and both the front and rear axles were there.  He didn't know of the price but would be trying to obtain serious offers so the "owner" can get the most for it.  He said he would send me a few mores pictures he had taken.  He said he would send me text photos.  Unfortunately, he said he would send them to me after I hung up.  I said send them by e-mail, but he said he couldn't.(???)  The next day it dawned on me since I had called him on my land line, I wouldn't be getting any test message that way.  I didn't write down his phone number to call him back on my cell phone, and by then his ad was gone.

As I said he mentioned I was the fourth to call him.  The first was of course Jay Leno!

I did notice from the one photo it was a 6 cylinder and was still in a frame.  I noticed it appeared to be left had drive so I'm thinking this would make it about 1916 or later.  Correct?

Anyway, I do hope someone had better luck in dealing with him.  I wasn't after another project, but I have had prior success in obtaining motors for early cars.  I have found the following motors and sent them on their was to complete early cars:  1908 Thomas-Detroit, 1918 Kissel, 1910 Oldsmobile Limited, 1914 Lozier, and a 1911 Pierce-Arrow Model 48.  I don't consider myself a flipper, but these helped my with funds for my cars/projects.

I would like to hear from anyone else who contacted Nelson and to learn if the motor/chassis has found a new home.

• 6 months later...

Mich, Ive had many conversations with the seller and hired a local that "Has been around old cars" to go look at it. The car was in a building fire many years ago and has sat outside  since. It melted the radiator  and aluminum water  jacket. The seller is a nice guy and I believe a trustworthy man. The problem is he is hung up on the name LOCOMOBILE and Google's prices that aren't realistic  for these remains.  My offer was 6000 and I think he said he has turned down$ 9000. Im now glad I DIDNT get it.  Mike

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It appears that the early automobile market is making a price adjustment.  More of the new generation hobbyists are not interested in the early stuff and tend to NOT do much of their own restoration work.  That means the market supply and demand is shifting and the prices simply follow....sadly.  What we may dream about, (price wise) is just not reality any more.  That said, buyer and seller need to find a new meeting point.  I also checked on this pile.  I can see a great many obstacles in front of anyone who buys this pile and many unknown issues as this Locomobile has been fired....that is a pun.  Lets all be wise and adopt the new market place and not fight it as the sell/purchase market readjusts.

Al

Hello Mike,

When I checked on it last, the price was set at the mid 20's....wow!  I actually think it is 1923 or 24.  Sadly, I think this pile could be scavenged for parts but marginal at that as we just don't know what being burnt, then stored outside for decades will do, (we can only guess).  I know a vehicle, stored outside, will deteriorate let alone being burnt, warped, detempered, melted, on top of that. 

Al

Situations like this are often very frustrating. It will sit for years with a wildly unrealistic price and all the potential buyers will rite it off as a case of right parts / completely wrong seller. Then something happens to the sellers situation ; looses storage, legal problems , you name it, and it ends up as scrap

.I have seen this a number of times over the years myself and I suspect several of you have as well.  Generally serious trouble if a get rich quick artist ends up with old car parts.

Greg

Unrealistic price for sure. On a good note It dosen't look like the fire was all that hot so there might be more 

more hope than it first appears. It looks like the transmission is an aluminum casting and looks OK and surviving

light metal pieces appear to be distortion free for the most part.

• Like 1