64 rivi charging issues

bluesy66

Hi All,

getting close to resto completion but dealing with charging system issues.

want to troubleshoot before changing out parts if needed.

I saw somewhere a write up on what the regulator voltages where when car is not running and running

can anyone please lead me to it or post it .

thanks,

paul

pics coming soon

If your car still has an original mechanical style voltage regulator in it, I would recommend you try to find a new, modern, high-quality electronic VR.  Be prepared to pay $50+ for a good one.  They fit a wide range of GM vehicles, so that makes them easier to find (not originally used in '63, but if you can find one, it will work. 

The original style mechanical VR has the cover held on with 2 screws. You remove the cover to adjust the points.

The electronic VR has the cover held on with 2 small rivets.  The cover is not as tall (because it does not need to be).  I drilled the rivets out of my electronic VR and used the original screws to install the original VR cover on the electronic unit.  Now, when you look at it, you'd never guess it was electronic.

There are test procedures and adjustment procedures for the original system in the shop manual.  That's your best guide.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

When the engine is shut off, the voltage should be somewhere around 12 volts. With the engine running, it should

read around 14 volts. As Jim Cannon stated, if the voltage is not to spec  the regulator can be adjusted. Personally, I like the mechanical

regulators.........I've had the same ones for decades on my cars with no issues. The one on my 65 Riviera is 54 years old and still does it's job.

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

If the belt is not tight nothing else matters

One more thing matters -- the battery itself.  No alternator will charge a bad battery.  Check each cell with a hydrometer.  Even a bad battery can show 'normal' voltage just sitting there.  What's the voltage when cranking...?

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Finally got this charging problem solved.

Since new items where installed (lots of electric items) I finally got an amp meter to check out output of alt.

It turns out the alt was not keeping up with the load.

Put in larger alt and that took care of the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs

Paul

On 11/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, bluesy66 said:

Hi all,

Finally got this charging problem solved.

Since new items where installed (lots of electric items) I finally got an amp meter to check out output of alt.

It turns out the alt was not keeping up with the load.

Put in larger alt and that took care of the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs

Paul

Curious as to what you have that is a non factory load the would require a bigger output generator?

• Like 1