Saw this reproduction ad today “Whirlaway”

victorialynn2

19 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

That's the kind of advertising they did back then. If you didn't balk at 'Futuramic Oldsmobile' or 'Hydra- Matic Drive' why draw the line at 'Whirlaway'?

Yeah, "Whirlaway for thrills" of "a surge of power as if you were jet-propelled."  ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

That's the kind of advertising they did back then. If you didn't balk at 'Futuramic Oldsmobile' or 'Hydra- Matic Drive' why draw the line at 'Whirlaway'?

And you could be either a 'Celebrity' or have a 'Holiday', with an Oldsmobile, unless you owned both a hardtop and a sedan.

Craig

My father worked for a small company in central Louisiana, and started buying company and personal vehicles in the late 1930's.  Many of the company vehicles were Oldsmobiles, and all his personal cars were Olds.

I have a picture of him being presented the keys to a 1956 Oldsmobile Holiday coupe, the 25th Oldsmobile he'd bought from our hometown dealer.

He continued buying Oldsmobiles up into the 1970's.  One day, he and my mother were discussing a new car (replacing the 98 in the carport), and out of nowhere she said "I want a Lincoln".  That was the first break.  My first two new cars were a 1969 (high school graduation present) and a 1973 Cutlass (college graduation present to myself).

Always had a soft spot for Olds, and wife now wants a mid-50's Olds or Pontiac, so it's not going away!