Fuel Filter in Early Cars

MochetVelo

I've installed them in customer's cars just before the carb, and before the vacuum tank once the tank has been properly rebuilt.  And I've seen many that others have installed. Those cars ran fine.

Think about how small the openings are in float needle seat and carburetor jets.  The filter only has to pass a little more fuel than those jets do.

As long as the filter is not overly contaminated, there's no problem flowing more than enough fuel. 

Paul

On my 1925 Buick, there is a screen on the gas tank pick up tube.  There is also a small thimble sized screen on the inlet to the vacuum tank, and the same small screen on the carburetor inlet.  In 1926, the big advance was filters on the air, oil, and gasoline.  They added a fuel filter on the outlet to the vacuum tank.  The key is a filter with sufficient pleats to prevent pressure drop while filtering the volume of fuel needed.  I prefer a filter to a sediment bowl, and this does both.  I purchased an AC filter from www.restorationstuff.com  They carry the AC replacement filter elements as well.

Photos are of the gas tank screen, a 1926 gas filter on the vacuum tank, and the new filter for my car.

I thought about installing an inline filter in the fuel line from the gas tank to vacuum tank, but that feed is dependent on the amount of engine vacuum available to pull the fuel so I am not as comfortable with a filter there.  

Hugh

320398866_Fuelpickup1.thumb.jpg.a2a42b0eb33d2e61b9ad137cedf137cf.jpg1831556424_vacuumtank1926Buick.thumb.jpg.5cb5e0acdae75bf11955414d17911107.jpgIMG_7003.thumb.JPG.affa1b183e6b97beece5a7d7a94f43eb.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)