3rd Gen. nose swap

PWB

Greetings all,

I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience/references with a '72 nose installed on a '73.

Its something I've always envisioned since '83 and am seriously considering doing as a later project in retirement.

I prefer the more linear dash board and rear bumper lines on the '73. 

So the donor would be the '71 or '72 nose.

My official fact gathering starts today.

Please forgive if this has been beat down.

Thanks

When you get the 71-2 front sheet metal, you need to get frame horns. Everything in front of the control arms. These were reconfigured on all 73 GM cars to make room for the energy absorbing front bumper shocks that attach to the frame. You no longer bolt the bumper to the frame. Bumper bolts to shocks, then the shocks bolt to the frame.

• Thanks 1

Seems as though if one had an otherwise nice, complete '73 and a good '72 donor car the front-end swap could be accomplished.  (Probably more work than expected, but the result may be worth it.)  The rear end of the '73 is very flat, however...  I would like to see the tail lights set into the bumper a little, to provide some depth and look a little more like the tail light treatment of the '71-72...

610515-1000-0.jpg?rev=21972-buick-riviera-real-gran-sport-facto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rivgs said:

PWB,

What you are looking for is listed on the Minneapolis, MN craigslist.   Type in 73 Riviera. 

Jumpin Jehosaphats, its been attempted! 

Just look at that wheel to fender gap. Now that presents quite a challenge to get right...hmmm that gap is coincidentally about the compression travel distance of 

'73 crash shocks .

Thanks Mr. Kinney

01212_957GtrCBxH_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_9FGlAYWvSH2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OK, I get it now. Its been done before.

Check out this successful hybrid. And both of these rides are currently for sale. Emphasizing the "spine" here.

Seems the market is flooded with Rivieras?

It’s duck season!

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/d/mild-custom-1973-buick-riviera/6678958353.html

01414_70gRvMzHA5D_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_2ncmQl7dNTP_1200x900.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Sorry but I'm just not sure why you would want to make that change? The '73 lost sooo much character with the "new" bumpers, it takes away from the looks.

Something odd about this one too, what is wrong with the grille?

00k0k_8IsUIoeB6x4_1200x900.thumb.jpg.159c7a1958599a1c72c66256f0e4634f.jpg

And the bumper just looks incomplete without the upper bar? I have seen them split and they look good, but this one … I just don't know? 

Looking at the change over the long term, when the heirs bring in an appraiser for the estate they are going to question or be highly offended when when the appraisal reads:

" 1973 Buick Riviera - missing fenders".

Kind of like calling at cars on Craigslist,  the sellers complain when the first question is "Do you have the original wheels?"

Ooops! "1973 Buick Riviera- missing fenders and wheels." There are a bunch out there.

Bernie

• Like 1