deleted

ted sweet

Based on what you have told us, I see a deduction for the battery and radio.  That's two points and 4 are allowed to be certified as HPOF.  Check all of your hose clamps.  The judges may find other items though.

7 hours ago, ted sweet said:

guess its not an hpof car. it will be staying home

Plenty of very good, interesting cars may not win an award

in class judging, but aren't quite original enough for HPOF.

Don't worry about an award, Ted!   Display it anyway!

Surely there are some people who would love to see

a Taurus, because many people had them 20 or 30 years ago.

If it were mine, I'd put it in the class-judging section but

mark it "Do Not Judge," not caring one whit about a trophy.

You could put it in the Driver Participation Class, but at Hershey

that class is an unorganized conglomeration of everything.

A 1979 Volkswagen is parked next to a 1908 Reo, parked next to

a 1952 Chrysler.  I like to see cars, as in the class-judging group,

parked in an organized manner with others of their kind. 

• Like 2

Don't think you will get a deduction for the battery (that is a mechanical component that isn't reproduced) but you will for the radio, window tint and window shades.  

My 85 Riviera had a replacement battery and one incorrect hose clamp that I know of - I got the HPOF without a problem.

My 89 Corvette had a few things that weren't original and it also got it. HPOF is tough but not overly.

Bob

Ted, 

From what you have posted, I don't understand why your car would not likely be certified in HPOF. You can have up to 4 deductions in HPOF for a car of that age and still be certified, and it sounds like you likely only have 2 deductions. I am a bit confused by the battery being a deduction.

I would appreciate more information on the battery issue. I was under the impression that batteries, like tires and hoses was considered a maintenance item without deduction.

• Like 1

^^^ I agree with MCHinson - based on what I see and your description, it certainly appears to be HPOF worthy.  

If it were my car, I would:

1 - remove the window shades and tint (you can always add it back later)

2 - ensure all hose clamps, etc are correct for 1994 - incorrect hose clamps can knock you out of HPOF certification

3 - remove anything that isn't stock including any kind of cupholders, arm rests, etc.

4 - remove the radio and reinstall factory radio (even if you don't hook it up) for the show - you can always put the modern one back later

5 - detail EVERYTHING - remember you can't paint stuff in engine compartment but you can sure clean it well.

6 - take it to a National and see what happens

Bob

Edited by Bob Hill
Spelling (see edit history)

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, ted sweet said:

guess its not an hpof car. it will be staying home

Ted, I think you misread my post.  Based on what you told us, there will be deductions, but not enough to exclude it from HPOF.  Looking closer at your picture, I see aftermarket window shades, which would be a deduction also.  I can't tell if the windows have aftermarket tint from the picture, if so that would be another deduction.  As far as the battery, if it is the correct size and style for the year, there should be no deduction.  Brand does not matter.  All the other comments above are very good advise.  Fix the easy deductions to take care of and bring it out to a National show and see how it does.

Ted,

Assuming you have correct original style hose clamps, I would suggest you enter it in HPOF. Unless there is something else that you have missed, it should certify as HPOF. I have owned several HPOF cars. My current car has had too much work done to certify in HPOF, so it is in DPC. I would just give it a good wash and see what happens. It is quite likely to be certified from what I see in the photos and your description.