Looking at a 91 questions

Kevin M

So I’m going to be looking at a 91 later in the week at a dealer by me. From what I found on here there doesn’t seem to be any 91 specific problems. Besides maybe the IPC. But just wanted to ask all of you if there is. They said they don’t have the books or any maintenance records but it’s low miles. That’s not a total deal breaker but not the greatest. Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

You can always get a CarFax that will tell you where the car has lived and in my state even when and were it was state inspected.   You can also look at the database (www.reatta.net) and it might be there ....if it is that might give you location and mileage.

If you buy it.....and have no records, change the fluids and flush the brake fluid, change the fuel filter, air cleaner.   It like drawing a line in the sand.....at least you will know that they were done when you purchased it and you will not be saying later "probably should have changed (fill in the blank)"

The 1991 is more desirable not because of any one improvement but because there were several things that either improved the '91 or made it different, right down to the cupholder in the center armrest.  

With only 1214 coupes made in 1991 (I presume it is a coupe) they are also the hardest to find.    Good luck

Yeh it’s a coupe. I found it on the data base last updated info was in 99 but with the mileage put on between then and now was about 40k so not too bad. I’m planning on doing the car fax once I go to see it in person. Pictures look nice but those can lie. Thanks for the info

12 hours ago, Kevin M said:

From what I found on here there doesn’t seem to be any 91 specific problems. Besides maybe the IPC. But just wanted to ask all of you if there is.

No known problems but in fact a few improvements.  Upgraded 3800 to 170 HP with no EGR.  Replaced Teves brakes with Bosch.  Increased wheel/tire size to 16".  IPC's available from 1990-1991 Reatta = 1990-1993 Riviera.  Many mechanical parts interchangeable with 7th generation (1986-1993) Riviera's.  

FWIW...wheels speed sensors are specific for 1991 MY.  Don't think you can use 1988-1990 sensors with a 1991 Reatta.

And while not mechanical, some IP modules/switches are specific for the 1991 Reatta.

1 hour ago, Bushwack said:

FWIW...wheels speed sensors are specific for 1991 MY.  Don't think you can use 1988-1990 sensors with a 1991 Reatta.

And while not mechanical, some IP modules/switches are specific for the 1991 Reatta.

Front wheel sensors are 1991 only however Riveria and other similar cars will work. 1988-1990 wheel sensors will not work. 1991 IP modules will swap with the Riviera of 1990 -1993. Cannot use the 1990 Headlight switch from a Reatta.

So I looked at the car today. To me it looks pretty good. Only a few issues that I saw. The radio has a cassette stuck in it. The  security light flashes while the door is open. Some paint blemishes. Fluids looked clean. And it’s at a dealership and they are replacing the power antenna. Only think is I think their price may be a little high at 7k firm. Would just like you guys opinion on this. I have put a deposit down but can still back out

Thanks Marck, it has about 47k on it and is burgandy and grey. So from what I found about 25 in that combo. This will be the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought so I guess that is why it seems high to me. And I am used to there being at least some negotiation. 

Robert Casey's booklet says there were 79 coupes in 1991 with burgundy exterior.   18 had grey interior, 58 tan, 3 flame red.

Know a lady that just purchased a 1990 black coupe with 46K and paid $4,600...... the 1991 will bring more $$

6 hours ago, Kevin M said:

So I looked at the car today. To me it looks pretty good. Only a few issues that I saw. The radio has a cassette stuck in it. The  security light flashes while the door is open. Some paint blemishes. Fluids looked clean. And it’s at a dealership and they are replacing the power antenna. Only think is I think their price may be a little high at 7k firm. Would just like you guys opinion on this. I have put a deposit down but can still back out

Buy the car as something you will get years and years of enjoyment from.  Don't buy it as an investment (assuming the car will appreciate in value).

If it's the one listed at Richard's Chevrolet it looks real nice. I looked at the pictures on Autotrader and compared to the Red '91 in Florida with 30,000 more miles for the same money this one is a way better value.

This Reatta is a 1 owner car with 6 way seats and everything looks well taken care of. Minimal fading of the interior, and seats are not cracked or worn. Front cornering lamps are clear and tail is nice as well. Saw minimal amount of sun and looks like it was stored inside and never saw a winter.

If you really like it and want a Reatta it would certainly be one to go after. Buy the best one you can afford as the more expensive cars are cheaper in the long run.

BTW there is another Reatta on Auto Trader, a Red/Tan 91 with the same miles, the guy wants $12,000 for it.

Yeh that’s the one. I have doubts since this will be the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought. Besides the few things I mentioned above. It also doesn’t have the correct floor mats and none of the books. But those shouldn’t be too hard to find.  Looks like I’ll be giving the dealership a call tomorrow to confirm a pickup time. Thanks all. 

Find something wrong with it, and get them down 500, shouldn't be hard to do, esp if you pull out a wad of $ 100 bills. I've noticed people seem to react to piles of green paper differently than they do to words. Maybe run the codes in in on-board diagnostics, something is certain to show up in history at least. Alternately, if price is firm, ask for a 90 day warranty on drivetrain, all dealers typically give that as a default anyway

91 year model is most desirable, to me at least. The cup holder is the deal maker. But, I also like the braking system on the 91's. As soon as one comes up near me with low mileage and at the right price, I'm grabbing it. I realize this may take years, but that's ok. The 1999 supercharged Riv. I just got with 40k on it, I spent 6 years looking for !! Buicks are awesome, some of the best engineers in the trade... I think my 99 Riv. is my all-time favorite, but still love driving Ms. Reatta. Just need to find a reliable ECM for it. Get the 91 for sure, you can always drive it down thisaway and sell it to me.....:)