Mistery water leaks

DiskHarv

While driving  my 64 Riviera back from Pittsburgh last weekend I was caught for about 3 hours in a very heavy rain storm .  When I got home all the carpets were wet as was the trunk liner.  I have not been able to find where the leaks are coming from I've pulled  all the carpets out to dry and am using a blower to dry trunk. If any of my fellow ROA members have experience with this problem or have any thoughts on how to remove water stains on trunk liner I would be very grateful for your suggestions

The rear window is held in with clips that were prone to rusting out leaving holes from the fastenings, the water will drip down into the trunk causing more mayhem. A suggestion is to remove the stainless trim from the outside of the window and do a leak test with a garden hose it should show you if you are leaking from the back window. For the stains, try CLR cleaner. Good luck

• Like 2

Were the front carpets wet as well as the rear?  The trunk is most likely the rear window and is a common issue.  Water can also get in under the decorative trim molding below the rear window.  I have also seen water get in around the tail lights.  Check all your weatherstrips and gaskets.  If the front carpets are wet as well, this tells me you have more than one area that is leaking.  Assuming that your floorboards are solid with no rust through, water can get in through dried out seam sealer and failing weatherstripping.  As Scott states above, do a water test with a garden hose.  Start at one end of the car and slowly work your way to the other end.  Let us know what you find.

If your front and rear glass seals are original they both need servicing. Remove glass, clean up the pinch welds and repair rust, then reinstall glass. This generally is a project that snowballs in time and cost due to years of water seepage causing rust that is not visible until the glass is removed......but is one that should be given priority on any car with its original seals. 

• Like 2