1963 Wildcat valve cover oddity?

Pete Phillips

Visited a private collection in Montgomery, Texas today and saw this valve cover on a 1963 Wildcat. The ribbed aluminum valve covers were optional but has anyone ever seen the tri-shield emblem mounted on one like this? It looks factory correct; if home-made, it is very well done.

Afterthought: I dont' think the ribbed aluminum covers are correct for 1963? Believe they were for 1964-1965. In any event, has anyone ever seen this emblem on one?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6000.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Pete,

You are correct in that the aluminum covers were not a '63 item. They were '64 to '66.with small differences year to year. The pictured cover is a '66. The '66 covers had the indent in the driver side cover . This was necessary for an air pump application.

The Tri-shield emblem looks to be an owner enhancement. Normally there would have been a solid rubber plug or an o ring for a breather that connected to the air cleaner.

Loren

• Like 1

Thanks for that information, Loren!  I know that on some of the Corvette finned aluminum covers, they were usually the same side-to-side, with a Corvette crossed-flags emblem that went on the side where the "blank" was not used.  The size of that emblem is about the same as the Tri-Shield on the Buick's covers.  Now, where might that Tri-Shield have come from?  Just curious.

NTX5467

I might do something like that to distract the experts. They'd point that out right away and overlook my headbolt begging for the proper ground wire connection and the "prone to leak" exhaust manifold gaskets, I don't use French locks on the manifold bolts either, but every year or two I snug them up.

I just create diversions.

Bernie

From observation, some manifolds are worse about cracking than others.  Especially if you try to keep the manifolds too tight with no flat washer under the bolt head.  Gaskets might be blamed for it, though.  In some cases, the French locks can serve as that washer, of sorts.

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...