Correct location for trunk tyre sticker on ‘63

rodneybeauchamp

Hi All,

have now the correct trunk sticker with tyre pressure etc for my 1963 Riviera.  (Thank you Bill)

Would someone please post a photo showing the correct location?

many thanks

Rodney ???????

14 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Rodney-

It depends on the month/year of manufacture of your car's body.

It depends on the shape of the underside of the webbing on your trunk (boot) lid.

Post pix.

Hi Jim, 11B built November 1962 FB 7124

95891FEC-E863-4184-A920-59224C92545F.jpeg

AC9ED753-1AA3-4E6E-9692-DBBC28885007.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

OK, on your earlier build (the week after my car) it covers the center hole of the webbing of the lid. Attached photo not my car, but typical.

Thank you Jim, just curious, where did they place it in later builds, on one of the flat areas?

Rodney ???

1 hour ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thank you Jim, just curious, where did they place it in later builds, on one of the flat areas?

Rodney ???

Rodney,

My car is a later build, May 1963. Mine is in the flat area directly to the left of the sticker pictured above. Almost 100% certain my sticker is the original. Will try to wade through the snow (5-9 inches starting tomorrow, welcome spring) to get to the car to take a picture and post it for others that may have a later build with the same question.

Bill

Thanks Bill, 

Would be keen to see a photo.

i think it would look much better in one of those areas. My excuse might be “ They had a new kid start today, and he thought he would stick em some place else, so he did! He soon found his way into GM management! ?????”

cheers

Rodney

Rodney,

Take your time and look at as many pictures as possible.  Remember, the general public has no idea as to where the sticker should be properly placed, let alone if there even was a sticker.  When you've got the correct cardboard panels in place and and the correct liner on the floor, you'll have seen many trunks and can best make a choice as to where place the sticker.

17 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks Bill, 

Would be keen to see a photo.

i think it would look much better in one of those areas. My excuse might be “ They had a new kid start today, and he thought he would stick em some place else, so he did! He soon found his way into GM management! ?????”

cheers

Rodney

Rodney,

I will get you a photo of the sticker as soon as I can.

Bill

Most reproduction decals are of poor quality. Before applying, I recommend subjecting the decal to high humidity. Let it do it’s shrink/ warp thing before you apply. let dry. Spray hi temp 3M glue on its back. The cheap repro glue is garbage and that area gets hot in the Sun ? 

IF your decal is 100 % vinyl than you shouldn’t get warped 

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Here are 2 photos of the sticker on Mark Uhlig's very low miles original '63.  It was built in 3rd week of May.

You can see that it is more on the flat underside of the trunk lid.

You can see how they changed the shape of the webbing under the lid in the later cars.  This is why they moved the sticker off of the center hole.  The revised web shape carried forward into '64 and '65.

Uhlig 1963 Riviera 021.JPG

Uhlig 1963 Riviera 028.JPG

Many thanks Jim and to the other contributions. That is a major change to the decklid support panel so early in the build,  and the reason is ..........????

I will do as Ed suggests and wait till I see one I like and wait for Bills photo too! 

Rodney ?????

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Many thanks Jim and to the other contributions. That is a major change to the decklid support panel so early in the build,  and the reason is ..........????

I will do as Ed suggests and wait till I see one I like and wait for Bills photo too! 

Rodney ?????

Rodney,

We are having another balmy spring day in central Wisconsin so I thought I would take advantage of that and get those pictures for you. (pictures attached) As I stated previously, my car is a late May 1963 build. The sticker location is very similar to the one in the pictures Jim posted. 

Bill

P.S. We are supposed to receive 9-11 inches of "balmy" before it ends sometime tomorrow.

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

Wow, those pictures are stunning, and what a contrast from each location. My daughter is in Manchester UK and sending similar pics, she loves it, snow, ice, cold !

I do like the location of your sticker Bill, and will opt for there. Even though technically it may be incorrect, it seems to balance better. Besides, let the next owner have the headache ?????

cheers Rodney ?????

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Wow, those pictures are stunning, and what a contrast from each location. My daughter is in Manchester UK and sending similar pics, she loves it, snow, ice, cold !

I do like the location of your sticker Bill, and will opt for there. Even though technically it may be incorrect, it seems to balance better. Besides, let the next owner have the headache ?????

cheers Rodney ?????

Rodney,

It's one of those things that no one will know unless you tell them (mums the word) or you have read this thread. What they don't know won't hurt them. Stick it on, pat yourself on the back for a job well done and let people comment on how nice that trunk sticker looks.

Bill

• Haha 1