1950s Chrysler Imperial?

Steve Hagy

As always I'm depending on the sharp-eyed readers of this forum to set me on the correct course. When I enlarged this I thought the name in script on the side of this car reads "Imperial." I would like to know the exact year, make, and model of this black over red beauty that was used by one of the chaplains of the Chicago Fire Department. 

Thanks!

AACA - Imperial.jpg

Might have been donated by Chrysler to the FD for their use. Chrysler corp was big in donating cars to the driver education programs. I took my drivers test in a Plymouth they had loaned to my high school.

6 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

That's got to be the classiest fire service car I have ever seen. Would the fire dept. have provided such an expensive vehicle or would have it belonged privately to the person using it?

This was in use by one of the chaplain's of the Chicago F.D. (note the cross on the door). I have a couple more photos of chaplains' cars from that era that I'll be posting and they were provided with some very nice rides.

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

Might have been donated by Chrysler to the FD for their use. Chrysler corp was big in donating cars to the driver education programs. I took my drivers test in a Plymouth they had loaned to my high school.

We had Buicks. :D

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:58 AM, Steve Hagy said:

Thank you. 

Was there a difference between an Imperial and a Chrysler Imperial? Was Imperial a make from a separate company? 

Prior to 1955 they were Chrysler Imperials.

Starting in 1955 Imperial was considered an individual make so they were no longer Chrysler Imperials but just Imperials.

15 hours ago, Lostwrench1 said:

Prior to 1955 they were Chrysler Imperials.

Starting in 1955 Imperial was considered an individual make so they were no longer Chrysler Imperials but just Imperials.

My 56 Imperial had "Chrysler Firepower" emblazoned on the valve covers.

True, later models got their own "Imperial covers"

Maybe the Imperial folks had some pride in their heritage.

I don't ever recall anyone referring to "Imperial Hemis".

I kinda miss the old girl.

IM002158.JPG