Do you take your Reatta(s) to car shows?

Ronnie

Car Show Poll  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever exhibited one of your Reattas at a car show?

• No
    • Yes, but only a local cruise-in, etc. with no awards.
    • Yes, up to and including a show that gave out informal awards.
    • Yes, up to and including a show judged by defined criteria.
    • Yes, up to and including a 400-point judged show.

I was wondering who shows their Reatta and how serious they are about it...

I only take my Reatta to informal car shows and cruise-ins. I never have my car judged for awards.

(I saw this posted in another forum and I thought we might have some fun with it.)

For me, it isn't being afraid of being judged.  It is more knowing what it takes to win an award at a 400 point show and knowing that the mods I made keep my car from even being considered.  That said, I never did enter my '65 Skylark (which was an amazing car) for a points judged show.  I did enter my '90 Reatta convertible in the Portland BCA National where it won a Gold Award the first and only time I did that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ol' yeller said:

For me, it isn't being afraid of being judged.  It is more knowing what it takes to win an award at a 400 point show

Same here. I would rather spend my time driving my Reatta and enjoying it than detailing a garage queen to get it ready for the next show. I do enjoy looking at other peoples cars that like to do that. :)

I have a laminated 8 1/2 x 11 sheet that tells about the Reatta........what years it was built and other interesting facts.

When I take it to any display, I put that in the window for people to read and hopefully they will know a little more about the car when they leave.

I am not always with the car and sometime people don't want to ask questions, but most will stop and read about the car and hopefully we have informed another person about the Reatta.

I usually show my car 3 to 4 times a year. Its about supporting the Local Buick Clubs Shows, Or the get together at the Spring Charlotte Auto Fair Reatta gathering.  My Car needs paint and other small things. I go to meet people, answer Reatta Questions, I have a book that shows all the work I have done. I do not care about awards. The Buick Shows I have been to usually have People Choice awards based on classes. I won one last year because I had the only car present in the Class.

The Fall Rockville MD show I go to is full of high end cars, No modified cars allowed and I get lots on questions and positive comments about the Reatta every year I go.

Just out to have some fun.

DSCF9078.JPG.6da7c578ea3f4d7bbd24539dd5ddb243.JPG

I will be taking my new Reatta to it's first show on Sunday, the yearly BOP show. I have the window sticker laminated and will display it with the car. BTW-my front body molding has been replaced by the body shop.

I think it is important to take our Reatta's to car shows. Getting the wold out is good and you can really make fast friends with inquisitive people.

This will be my third year for the RT 66 Fun Run from Seligman, AZ to Topock, AZ.  This covers most of RT 66 that crosses the state.  I did not show my car the first year as I had just purchased it and had no time to get it show ready.

You are cordially invited to attend all 3 days of the show and drive across Arizona or just stop at one of the towns along the way and enjoy the parade of amazing cars.  I will be at the all day show in Kingman with my 88 Reatta.

http://66funrun.com/

I've attended one national meet, show only, no judging. Have gone to some cruise nights and such, but have no reason to enter judging. I have non-stock wheels on 2 of my four cars,  aftermarket stereos in both 91's, aftermarket mats in 3 of my 4, and other minor mods and upgrades like Optima batteries.  So, I get nicked enough points that I'm never in the running for serious (400 point) judging against the factory purebreds. Not to brag, but I know my cars are nice, and more importantly they are the way I like them,  so I don't really need a trophy, or to get my ego stroked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I have a laminated 8 1/2 x 11 sheet that tells about the Reatta........

I have one of those for my Reatta too. It does get some attention when people walk by. I'm going to make a new one soon that tells about the Reatta having a touch screen. That seems to be what people are most interested in when I tell them about my car. What information do you have in your sheet?

If you guys could post your info sheet here or email it to me at director@hurstolds.com that would be terrific. I would love to place it on my car when I take it to shows.

I have the little booklet that came with the folio,  "Reatta, a handcrafted auto" but do not want to display it as too many people would handle it and i want to keep it nice.

I usually attend four(ish) cruise-ins per week during the season.  I switch each week between the Riviera and the Reatta.  I also attend various car shows...usually two a month locally.  I've attended a number of BCA events including New England regional meets and the BCA National.  The Reatta was awarded a Gold at the BCA National in 2013/South Bend.

I'm retired and this is my hobby.

I have the original Monroney sticker for each Buick that I normally put in the cars' windshields. 

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cargirl said:

If you guys could post your info sheet here or email it to me at director@hurstolds.com that would be terrific.

I've been looking for it on my computer and so far I've not found it. If I do I will send you a copy.

• Like 1

Car shows, judging, etc can really take the fun away from the enjoyment of owning a cool car. I take my 1974 Indy Pace car to judged car shows and put a sign up, please don't judge. I am not afraid of being judged, I just know what I have and do not need the validation of some person who may or may not be qualified to know what he is looking at. I have had "judges" question whether a Delta 88 could have been a real pace car. LOL Really? I basically agree with Dave, show your car, talk to the nice people you meet and the heck with the judging.

Thing is, if you want to compete in 400 or even concours level judging, factory correctness  and perfection is absolutely the highest possible consideration. Sure, there are modified divisions in many car clubs where one can get recognition for some incredible custom work and such, but for guys like me who go lightly modified, there isn't a place to get judged without point deductions.

My upgrades aren't extreme enough  to justify entering modified class judging, and just enough that I know I can't get an award in 400 point against cars that have been meticulously maintained in factory condition. I'm not complaining, mind you. I respect owners who can keep/restore a 30 (or 90) year old car so perfectly that they can take a high level award. I don't fit that mold because I don't have the budget to buy or maintain cars of that class.

Some cars are more worthy of being kept "archival class" than others. My cars are nice drivers, not ultra low mile museum pieces.  That's what I can afford and what I wanted anyway. Jay Leno I'm not, and I can't afford to have a car sitting and only take it out for judging, and heck even Jay tskes his rarities out for a drive sometimes.

As driver class cars, it means more to me to have things like a modern stereo setup, a reliable deep cycle battery, and wheels I like the look of, than to keep it  bone stock so I might take an award a couple of times a year. I'm not worried about the radiator hose having a factory correct stamping or date codes, I just want it reliable. Others have different priorities, and that's fine. Like I said, I respect that, it just isn't my thing.