Cars in old wedding photo

lump

One of my old friends from elementary school posted a photo of her grandmother's wedding-day photo. There are old cars in the background, which are mostly obscured. I thought you guys might enjoy identifying any of them, if you can. Then I can surprise this young lady with information she would never have expected. Cheers! 

Groseclose Gmother wedding shot w cars.jpg

Distinctive Balcrank bumpers on the coupe. I should recognise that logo with the maker's name on the angle like that and something pointing up to the left.  Willys-Overland? The car looks new there.

I think the touring car on the left is a Ford T.

Photo date 1918-1920 maybe??

41 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Is the emblem on the spare tire cover no Chrysler???

I believe that IS a Chrysler emblem with the winged radiator cap added to the upper left of the blue ribbon. Similar to this except it looks like the spare tire cover item has the earlier cap on it....

1928-29_Chry_Wings_logo.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Think you have too active an imagination K31. Can't see Chrysler. Primary shield looks like a vertical rectangle, no lower ribbon, and wings look nothing like Chrysler. Since it is a tire cover, it could also be generic. Bumpers should be a clue.

Those Balcrank bumpers are no help in identifying because they were mostly sold aftermarket, or as accessories.  That Willys-Knight we saw a few days ago had them. The only car I have seen that had them as a factory option.

I agree the logo on the spare tyre cover may not be factory, although the car is obviously near new.

I think if we can get the date of the photo we might be better informed..

1 hour ago, Grandpa said:

1928 Chrysler pictured.

1928 Chrysler.jpg

Grandpa, the photos that Keiser found really don't have logos that are quite like the one in the original wedding photo. But this one that you found looks very similar...especially the two "ribbons" or whatever they are which stick up to the left of the logo. However, in your photo the logo appears round, and in the wedding photo it appears to be a vertically-oriented rectangle. Your thoughts? 

Ok, guys. Now this mystery is getting more interesting. 

With that in mind, I just sent a facebook message to the lady whose grandmother appears in this old photo, asking if she is absolutely certain the wedding was in 1923, and if so, which month. Now I await her reply. 

After sending the message, it occurred to me to ask her if by chance she might have any other old photos of that wedding day with cars in the background. Or, perhaps she may have photos of her grandmother after the wedding was over, with one of the cars visible in it. It would be really cool if, after all the guessing and debate we could finally get a good clear view of the car and solve the mystery once and for all. 

I'll keep you posted! 

7 minutes ago, lump said:

Ok, guys. Now this mystery is getting more interesting. 

With that in mind, I just sent a facebook message to the lady whose grandmother appears in this old photo, asking if she is absolutely certain the wedding was in 1923, and if so, which month. Now I await her reply. 

After sending the message, it occurred to me to ask her if by chance she might have any other old photos of that wedding day with cars in the background. Or, perhaps she may have photos of her grandmother after the wedding was over, with one of the cars visible in it. It would be really cool if, after all the guessing and debate we could finally get a good clear view of the car and solve the mystery once and for all. 

I'll keep you posted! 

We look forward to it.