38 Century Hand Throttle

philipj

Buick Bob reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask, did all 38 Century's come with a hand throttle? If so, where is the location of the cable in the dash? If equipped, I seem to be missing the attaching bracket on the carburetor also...

Yes, The Hand Throttle knob is just under the left ashtray on the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel. Check out the diagram on page 7 of the 1938 Owner's Manual.  The attachment to the carburetor is shown in a diagram on page 6-50 of the 1938 Service Manual. 

Thank you for pointing that out.. I have got that 7-57 carburetor and I guess is missing some parts...;(  and the location of the hand throttle is being occupied by a push start button! I guess that will have to wait, since the fuel pump is out now...

Many of the replacement carbs did not have the linkage for the hand throttle. Literature I have indicates such hand linkage adapters as well as adapters for use of original throttle linkage on replacement carbs were available. I have never seen an actual piece, though. Anybody have one?

• 2 weeks later...

I could move either the push start button or on/off switch below, for I have two cutouts underneath... Dave, would you be able to post photos of the various linkage adapters? I cannot find anything online, much less the proper throttle cable with the correct knob...

Instructions only gave a part number for the hand throttle adapter. No pictures. Pictures posted are for using the original throttle linkage on the replacement carbs that apparently were supplied with the replacement engines.

When I bought my 1938 Century project it came with a Stromberg AAV-26 which I think would have originally come from a Buick 320 engine from somewhere between 1939 and 1947. I have no idea if the linkage on it is the original AAV-26 linkage or an adapter. It has the link for the hand throttle. The carburetor linkage on it seems quite a bit more complicated than the correct AAV-2 1938 linkage shown on the replacement AAV-2 that is now on my project car.

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

On 15/03/2018 at 1:47 PM, MCHinson said:

Yes, The Hand Throttle knob is just under the left ashtray on the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel. Check out the diagram on page 7 of the 1938 Owner's Manual.  The attachment to the carburetor is shown in a diagram on page 6-50 of the 1938 Service Manual. 

When the PO showed me how to start my ‘38 one step was to pull out this knobby thingame under the ashtray (RHS on our cars), but he never told me what it was.

I thought it was a manual choke so kept making sure it was pushed in once we got going! Don’t want it to run rich!

Gee, the things you learn here!

Rodney ???????????