1937 Vs. 1938 trunk lid handles

Pete Phillips

Is there a difference between the trunk lid handles for these two years? Perhaps one has a longer shaft than the other? We are having problems getting the trunk lid handle seated in the receiver/locking arms on this 1937 Century 4-dr. that we are restoring. Perhaps we have the wrong year handle. Not enough of the shaft sticks through the latch to allow the hold-down nut and spring to screw onto the end of it. What am I doing wrong?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

Pete,

Tomorrow, I will see if I can measure the one on my 1937 Century Model 61 and see if I can find the one for my 1938 Century Model 61 and the Model 41 body donor car as well and do some comparison for you.  Is the car you are restoring a Buick or a McLaughlin Buick? For some reason, I was thinking you were working on a McLaughlin Buick. I do not know if they use the same handle or not. 

Pete,

On my US made 1937 Model 61, the overall length of the trunk handle is about 3 3/4 inches long the best I can measure it without removing it from the car. The 1938  handle is totally different, as it is not a "T" shaped handle. It is of similar length, probably 1/4 inch or so longer. I don't know where the spring goes, but it does not look like it goes directly under the nut. If a photo from another angle would help, let me know. 

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

18 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Pete,

Tomorrow, I will see if I can measure the one on my 1937 Century Model 61 and see if I can find the one for my 1938 Century Model 61 and the Model 41 body donor car as well and do some comparison for you.  Is the car you are restoring a Buick or a McLaughlin Buick? For some reason, I was thinking you were working on a McLaughlin Buick. I do not know if they use the same handle or not. 

1938 40-50 trunk handle looks the same as 1939

Problem solved! It was something simple. I played around with the handle for awhile and finally got it to go in all the way by first inserting it part of the way, then turning it 90 degrees, at which time it goes down some more, apparently into another slot. Fits and works like a charm! Thanks for all of the help and photos.

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

My coupe didn't have a handle when I got it.   But a fellow from Ontario sold me one years ago.  It seems too short( from the bottom of the square part to the ends of the threads).   The square part will touch the trunk lid and it seems the threaded end should be sticking out of the latch assembly on the inside more.   Any help anyone?

I'm looking for the right one.   Bell's Buick Parts might have one.   I think I need to pick MCHinson's brain again.  He seems to have a good resource on part numbers etc.

Some people are terrific assets to the hobby and clubs.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1