1956 322 Harmonic Balancer Pulley Rubber Ring

bunchabuix

After removing the pulley/balancer, I noticed that the rubber ring inside the belt pulley is split in two, cracked. (two pulley version, gen. & P.S.)

I checked on line w/ Steele, Metro Moulded, & Bob's, no one lists this part. Dimensions:  5 1/2" o/s diameter, 4 3/4" i/s diameter, 9/16" wide i/s.   

A source for this part would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jerry

BCA 1518

AACA

ROA

Hi. Auburncoupe,

Thanks for your reply. The balancer is fine. There's a rubber ring that's inside the front of the two belt pulley attached to the balancer that's cracked in two; see my initial post for the dimensions. . That's the item I need.

Jerry 

AACA

BCA #1518

ROA #8691

2 hours ago, bunchabuix said:

There's a rubber ring that's inside the front of the two belt pulley attached to the balancer that's cracked in two; see my initial post for the dimensions. . That's the item I need.

Do you know what the function of that rubber is?  None of mine have them anymore since the original rubber was cracked, crumbling and removed. Does not seem to affect the performance (maybe if I had an intact one to compare to).

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Do you know what the function of that rubber is?  None of mine have them anymore since the original rubber was cracked, crumbling and removed. Does not seem to affect the performance (maybe if I had an intact one to compare to).

It's a vibration dampener to help keep the main bearings on the crank running smooth, over a period of time running without it can cause the mains to wear unevenly and began to knock. I don't know if you are familiar with the term associated with Ford engines referring to a rolling main knock? But that is what usually caused it (the rubber deteriorating from oil leaks and not changing it)   

• Like 1

I think this needs to be addressed in the current context of use of the vehicle. Daily drivers might suffer that main bearing malady with the miles folks drive everyday cars these days. Collector cars, unless someone has the resources to drive a car coast to coast for shows etc. Imho my '55 Century engine will outlast me without the rubber antivibration ring in the inside of the crank pulley, if my wife drives, if me, hmm, it will be tested, YEAH!

19 hours ago, old-tank said:

I wondered myself as pictures I have seen of balancer the rubber does not appear to run from the front of the balancer to the back.    

I believe Steele Rubber Products services balancers. 

24 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I wondered myself as pictures I have seen of balancer the rubber does not appear to run from the front of the balancer to the back.    

I believe Steele Rubber Products services balancers. 

My read on his request is NOT the balancer/damper.  Originally there was some rubber in the inner grooves of the PULLEY that is bolted to the balancer on a 322.  That rubber is old, hard and crumbling by now and either fell out or was removed.  Function is supposedly a vibration control?  Nearly the same engine the 264 had no damper or bolted on pulleys and therefore no rubber ring.  My blue/white 55 now has nearly 100K miles with no rubber in the pulley grooves and I see not ill effect, so I will say it is not needed.  I doubt there is a source for the rubber...maybe RTV in the grooves will serve the purpose (whatever that might be).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, old-tank said:

My read on his request is NOT the balancer/damper.  Originally there was some rubber in the inner grooves of the PULLEY that is bolted to the balancer on a 322.  That rubber is old, hard and crumbling by now and either fell out or was removed.  Function is supposedly a vibration control?  Nearly the same engine the 264 had no damper or bolted on pulleys and therefore no rubber ring.  My blue/white 55 now has nearly 100K miles with no rubber in the pulley grooves and I see not ill effect, so I will say it is not needed.  I doubt there is a source for the rubber...maybe RTV in the grooves will serve the purpose (whatever that might be).

That is what I have seen as well. A rubber ring in a groove.  I guess it does deaden vibrations but to what extent is it necessary?  I have seen balancers with the metal outer weight with rubber insulating it from the main hub.  This rubber ring getting old, shrinks and allows the outer metal ring to spin making the crank out of balance.    From you real world data of driving 100k miles sans the rubber ring  in a groove, all is well.  I would  surmise it is not necessary as well.   Yes, my 264 is a solid one piece pulley. 

For me, I would juice in the groove black RTV and be happy.     

14 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

That is what I have seen as well. A rubber ring in a groove.  I guess it does deaden vibrations but to what extent is it necessary?  I have seen balancers with the metal outer weight with rubber insulating it from the main hub.  This rubber ring getting old, shrinks and allows the outer metal ring to spin making the crank out of balance.    From you real world data of driving 100k miles sans the rubber ring  in a groove, all is well.  I would  surmise it is not necessary as well.   Yes, my 264 is a solid one piece pulley.

We are talking about the pulley that gets bolted to the harmonic balancer, right? Not the rubber ring around the harmonic balancer itself, which yes if that went bad and allowed the ballast to slip on the balancer, it would throw the crankshaft out of balance. The topic of discussion is about the rubber ring that goes inside the pulley itself, not the harmonic balancer.

image.png.2fba0cce41a14b2a28311759c5239331.png

ds050314e.JPG

The multi-pulley configuration did not have these rubber inserts and worked fine.

684167180_tp.jpg

th?id=OIP.fFqA5Q-bHFhHIcJGq5PUmQHaFj&pid

001.jpg

Subsequent Nailhead engines didn't have the rubber in the balancer pulley, either. Usually when something like that happens in a production run, it's proven to be a bit redundant or useless. Granted the 401/425 is not a 322, but the internal construction is pretty similar and close to one another, you can infer that some time around 1958-59 when the 401 was being conceived that this feature was no longer needed or proven to be a waste of time. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and what not, but I do not see it being a big deal if one were to go without it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beemon said:

We are talking about the pulley that gets bolted to the harmonic balancer, right? Not the rubber ring around the harmonic balancer itself, which yes if that went bad and allowed the ballast to slip on the balancer, it would throw the crankshaft out of balance. The topic of discussion is about the rubber ring that goes inside the pulley itself, not the harmonic balancer.

multi-pulley configuration did not have these rubber inserts and worked fine.

Subsequent Nailhead engines didn't have the rubber in the balancer pulley, either. Usually when something like that happens in a production run, it's proven to be a bit redundant or useless. Granted the 401/425 is not a 322, but the internal construction is pretty similar and close to one another, you can infer that some time around 1958-59 when the 401 was being conceived that this feature was no longer needed or proven to be a waste of time. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and what not, but I do not see it being a big deal if one were to go without it.

Yes sir, outside rubber ring that appears to do much of nothing.  I had a balancer on a 455 that spun.  Engine was thumping.    I agree with you and Willie's experience confirms the rubber insert(I guess is the best way to describe it) is of little use.      

• Like 1

Here's a few shots of the cracked rubber ring which sits inside the double pulley attached to the balancer. Ideally, I'd like to purchase a replacement ring, or I probably glue it together & hope for the best. Also, as several of you said, its probably not necessary to replace, but since its off the engine, why not try to replace/repair?? The dimensions ar posted to my first post. I tried Steele, Metro, Bob's, no luck.

Thanks,

Jerry

BCA #1518

AACA

ROA 

DSCN2941.JPG

DSCN2942.JPG

DSCN2943.JPG

DSCN2944.JPG

3 hours ago, bunchabuix said:

Here's a few shots of the cracked rubber ring which sits inside the double pulley attached to the balancer. Ideally, I'd like to purchase a replacement ring, or I probably glue it together & hope for the best. Also, as several of you said, its probably not necessary to replace, but since its off the engine, why not try to replace/repair?? The dimensions ar posted to my first post. I tried Steele, Metro, Bob's, no luck.

Thanks,

Jerry

BCA #1518

AACA

ROA 

Replacements are made of 'unobtainium'.  If you are determined to use it, glue it in place with with weatherstrip cement and of course glue the ends together.  If striving for "original and correct", the harmonic balancer is painted engine color but not the pulleys which are natural (cadmium plated?) finish.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beemon said:

Harmonic balancers are engine color? I painted my last two black. :unsure:

Yes sir on the balancers.   Pulleys are silver in color.  I used Rustoleum silver heat paint(for grills).  There are two kinds.  Glossy and a more flat tone. I used the flat tone.

https://www.1954buick.com/topic/3565-oil-burning-when-warming/?do=findComment&comment=26222

Thanx for the color tips; I'll probably leave it the Buick green I recently painted it. I'll keep searching for the ring until the time comes when I need to put the balancer back on the engine, then glue it up 

Matt, hows things in NC, used to live in Eden 'til 2014,  back home in No. IL now, close to the g-kids 

Jerry

16 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

Thanx for the color tips; I'll probably leave it the Buick green I recently painted it. I'll keep searching for the ring until the time comes when I need to put the balancer back on the engine, then glue it up 

Matt, hows things in NC, used to live in Eden 'til 2014,  back home in No. IL now, close to the g-kids 

Jerry

NC is good thanks!  Sorry you had to go back to the cold,  but I'm sure the family is worth it!