54-56 muffler length

Beemon

7 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

It sounds like your're in a STEM program. Good for you. At least you're not  looking at a "career" of serving Vente Grande Mocha Latte Supremes sporting a pony tail , facial piercings and a shitty attitude..............Bob

Yes sir, I got my Associates in Mechanical Engineering this past spring. I just got certified into my degree this last semester at the 4--year so I'm on track to graduate 2019.

18 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Yes sir, I got my Associates in Mechanical Engineering this past spring. I just got certified into my degree this last semester at the 4--year so I'm on track to graduate 2019.

I've noticed your posts. You seem a together young man. I wish you well..........Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ben, I believe, unless it MUST be correct, you are overthinking this.  Twer me, I would find the most successful muffler shop in town and tell them what I want. Probably way less moola.

Looking forward to your graduation in a year.  Without that BIG debt some have. Totally unnecessary.

Ben 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beemon said:

Mr. Johnson's prices are more than fair, I just wish my text books this semester weren't $500.

I went to the University of MD College Park.  Up the road is Crofton Raceway.   I would bet on the ponies.  My winnings I would pay for my books.   True story!   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beemon said:

Sir, they can take away everything but your good name and education.  Keep at it!  

• Like 2

On 1/26/2018 at 6:04 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Ben, I believe, unless it MUST be correct, you are overthinking this.  Twer me, I would find the most successful muffler shop in town and tell them what I want. Probably way less moola.

Looking forward to your graduation in a year.  Without that BIG debt some have. Totally unnecessary.

Ben 

I probably am overthinking it. However, the cost to replace the mufflers or any part of the exhaust system, the cheapest quoted was more than what I can get from Mr. Johnson. Dual exhaust is expensive to build and fix. :(

21 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The drone could be the pipes touching the frame anywhere they pass through it. See if you can find those spots and bend the pipe a little to insulate the system from the car. 

This was the first thing I checked when I got the car back. The only place it rubbed was at the rear passenger quarter panel, which drove me nuts. I few raps with a hammer fixed that problem. Despite the cheap work, it doesn't come close to any other part of the system. The drone is from 2500-3000RPM, roughly 60-75mph. It's very noticeable, even with the wind whistle around the A-pillar at those speeds, there is a deafening change in pitch that makes the whole car rattle. And I know it's not the driveshaft, because I checked it for out of round when I replaced my differential, and also tried to replicate conditions in Low. I just "test drove" it from home to my dorm tonight and there was a good patch of smooth blacktop at one point where it was apparent that there wasn't any wobble, etc. I also had the wheels re-balanced, drums turned and balanced, etc. The harmonic frequency of the cylinder heads must be the same between 2500-3000 RPM as the exhaust pipes. I thought I had also bougth the 18" mufflers, but I guess 14" mufflers were installed so now I have to find my invoice next time I go home. In any case, budget wise, I'll see if I can squeeze in a resonator right after the rear axle on both sides like a 57+ for the time being.

I hate drone!   Some mufflers cause it, some do not.  Had a '78 Dodge PU. I had heard some exhaust over the years I liked. Was always " XXXXX" mufflers. So finally installed XXXX on the Dodge. Absolutely hated them! At about the same speed as Ben mentions.  THEN learned XXXX and others make more than one series. DUH.  Right now the glass packs on George are droneless.

Ben

I do not think it is the fan, I don't believe I would feel it under the seat. It is also a new heavy duty clutch fan, so the RPM it spins when not engaged is much lower than engine RPM. This is also a constant bass note with vibration. If it were the fan I would think it would be intermittent. 

Exhaust frequency and done have a number of variables. Firing order, valve size, collector shape and material, ID and wall thickness of the pipe, length of the pipe, location and length of the muffler, expansion joints etc. 

On modern cars for packaging with the catalytic converter, it's usually CC, resonator and then muffler at the tip, occasionally muffler and resonator swapped. The location of the components can also be critical, though I've not seen any comprehensive information on the web about this other than "I work at a muffler shop and this is what we do."

Glasspacks are essentially a modern OEM resonator. It's an expansion tank that allows gases to change the direction along the wall of the tubing and decreases harmonic frequency. Definitely not designed to muffle sound, that's for sure. :P they must sound nice. 

So..... dopey question - you can replicate the drone in L or N at same rpm?  Apologize if I missed that.

In college days a ordinary citizen 20 dollar walker reverse flow muffler was on my car and it was stupid quiet.  Any chance of returning/replacing?

This also reminds me of a possible event where one friend may have whacked his Buicks muffler with a very large ball peen hammer, installing a sufficiently large dent that eliminated both resonance and annoying baffle rattle.  This was done with little thought as to location of where to hit it or the probability of success of the approach.  Prior to conducting the repair we ensured we were not thirsty.  Because dehydration is unhealthy.  And we all want good health.

Lapse in judgement aside, it was rather extraordinary that he didn't miss the freakin muffler and take out the rocker panel or one of us.  

"Hey....it's fixed!"

"Good.  Now put that down" :)

Unsure how long that muffler lasted...

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, KAD36 said:

So..... dopey question - you can replicate the drone in L or N at same rpm?  Apologize if I missed that.

no no, I had mentioned I had a bass note and light vibration at that RPM, so I tested in Low to see if it was the drive shaft instead. Turns out that wasn't the case.

And Walker mufflers are expensive, the good ones anyways. From others online, it looks like the small basic 14 inchers drone without resonators, too, and the big mufflers are in the $60+ range. I figure for that price, instead of gambling I'll try some resonators first at the tail pipe.

Hangers all snug on the pipes? Check the rubber mounts so they don’t allow too much motion?  No vibrations in exhaust pipe behind the muffler over the rpm range?  

Just trying to ascertain if its resonating inside the muffler or elsewhere

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

Installed the new muffler and tailpipe. I had to reuse the pipe between the crossover and muffler. The new pipe was not bent in the correct angle. Could be mine is a manual and routes differently than a Dynaflow. Any, it is quieter than the Walker. Engine appears to run a bit better. Perhaps back pressure is greater. The muffler takes up the enter section where it's located!  I'll post a video with sound later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

GoWanted to revive this thread because I just got a package from a Mr Martin Johnson. 

I'll be installing tonight! I'm really excited about this one. 60 percent of the noise driving down the road was no weatherstrip and 40 percent was the muffler. I'm ready for my quiet ride! 

20180713_151528.jpg

• Like 4