63 Riv Hvac control panel bulb

Turbinator

36 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just happened to be looking now, my first thought is to take the dash pad off. It is easy and you can get at lots of stuff that way.

Bernie

Bernie, could be easier than where I am now. It seems the bulbs are encapsulated in a container that I cannot figure out how to open. I should send a pic of where I am. Can’t hurt.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if you need to pull the dash pad to get to the bulbs.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier if you do. :D

By "container", do you mean a long, (presumably) hollow thing up at the front of the controls?   Take a closer look at that thing; the sockets might snap into it, or it may be removable and drop down to make access easier.  I've changed bulbs in a 63 before, and I don't ever remember pulling the dash pad to do so.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did do.

• Thanks 1

Hi Bob,

removing the black panel that supports all the slide switches should give access to the globe sockets (one on each side) I never had to remove the dash pad. I also had removed the radio as well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rodney, first of all, thanks again. We have the same color interior. I noticed the wear pattern on the dash directly under your key ignition is the same wear pattern  as mine. I have the black panel out just like yours. I suppose all I need to do is reach in and feel for the globe and socket. I’ll report my success. Thank you

Red Riviera Bob

16 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

gents, I’ve got quite a bit of the hvac control loosened and some parts removed. I can’t seem to find a way to get to the bulbs that light the hvac panel. Please anyone chime in on how to open the thing to get to the bulbs.

red Riviera Bob

Thanks to all. I figured the bulb needed electricity and although the bulb is encapsulated in a rectangular metal box, the wire lead to me a socket. I pulled gently on the socket and socket popped out. Turning the lights on in the interior helped me honed in on where the bulb was. The mystery of how to get the bulb out has been solved.

5EB42A1C-B635-4CD4-8D5E-78F719596B0F.jpeg

15 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I'd be surprised if you need to pull the dash pad to get to the bulbs.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier if you do. :D

By "container", do you mean a long, (presumably) hollow thing up at the front of the controls?   Take a closer look at that thing; the sockets might snap into it, or it may be removable and drop down to make access easier.  I've changed bulbs in a 63 before, and I don't ever remember pulling the dash pad to do so.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did do.

You probably were on auto pilot if you’be done this sort of thing before. Intuitive thinking is required to solve hidden apparatus repair, even if it is only a light bulb?

10 minutes ago, telriv said:

Sorry, but in my experience it's MUCH easier to pull the dash pad. The bulbs are then readily accessible.

Sir, you are probably right in the whole scope of things. I try to be minimally invasive in my efforts. I’ve never taken a dash pad off of an automobile. Now, I can get it off  one way or the other. The challenge for me is to get the dash pad back on and every thing work the way it is suppose to work. I’m not a sissy, but Im certainly not terribly mechanical. Thanks for the input, maybe I’ll try to take the dash off in future endeavors.

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

The challenge for me is to get the dash pad back on and every thing work the way it is suppose to work. 

Bob, these were my thoughts too, so I left mine in place at the time.

Besides, all those years of using Palmolive dishwashing detergent, while doing the dishes, I didn’t want to wreck my delicate pinkies. ???

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Sir, you are probably right in the whole scope of things. I try to be minimally invasive in my efforts. I’ve never taken a dash pad off of an automobile. Now, I can get it off  one way or the other. The challenge for me is to get the dash pad back on and every thing work the way it is suppose to work. I’m not a sissy, but Im certainly not terribly mechanical. Thanks for the input, maybe I’ll try to take the dash off in future endeavors.

Dash pad removal:  Remove four screws and pull it toward you.  Set aside. 

Unless your car has the Guidematic or Twi-light sentinel, there is nothing to unplug or hook back up.  Even if it has those options, they just unplug.  

A little tougher with a 64 or 65, the radio speaker is part of the dash pad.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Bob, these were my thoughts too, so I left mine in place at the time.

Besides, all those years of using Palmolive dishwashing detergent, while doing the dishes, I didn’t want to wreck my delicate pinkies. ???

Rodney, as a guitarist you would think I’d protect my hands and pay someone to do this for me. Once I saw a man playing mandolin like pro. The man playing the mandolin had hands that were knarled and had thick callouses. I figured if he could play with broken hands so could I.

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Dash pad removal:  Remove four screws and pull it toward you.  Set aside. 

Unless your car has the Guidematic or Twi-light sentinel, there is nothing to unplug or hook back up.  Even if it has those options, they just unplug.  

A little tougher with a 64 or 65, the radio speaker is part of the dash pad.

Ed, so if I wanted to send my dash to “Just Dashes” it would be to take four screws out and give a little tug. Wow. Taking off and putting back on those little set screws in the back of those 12 little chrome knobs on the panel now seems masochistic. The forum is here to help and it certainly has been an immense resource. Thank you

Those S&M screws stay untouched.   Four screws under the lip of the pad and it pulls out.  There is an arm on each side on the chassis that is spring loaded to keep the front of the pad down.  Sometimes it takes a couple of extra wiggles to get it free.

Have your local upholstery shop look at recovering the pad before shipping it off to Just Dashes.

44 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Those S&M screws stay untouched.   Four screws under the lip of the pad and it pulls out.  There is an arm on each side on the chassis that is spring loaded to keep the front of the pad down.  Sometimes it takes a couple of extra wiggles to get it free.

Have your local upholstery shop look at recovering the pad before shipping it off to Just Dashes.

Ed, I have two good sources for upholstery here in central Maryland. I would suppose I have more control over color then sending it off to Just Dashes. I hear Just Dashes is pricey compared to other options. Thank you for the gentle nudge. I can read between the lines when my crystal ball is cloudy.

i got the bulbs replaced with the LED lights and it looks good. Installing those little knobs is like picking fly speck from pepper while wearing boxing gloves. One of the knobs flew some where where I cannot find the knob. I still have the set screw in a safe and secure place, but I need the knob.

2 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, so if I wanted to send my dash to “Just Dashes” it would be to take four screws out and give a little tug. Wow. Taking off and putting back on those little set screws in the back of those 12 little chrome knobs on the panel now seems masochistic. The forum is here to help and it certainly has been an immense resource. Thank you

Bob,

Read this thread: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/294399-wanted-power-antenna-install-and-dash-pad-removal-tips/?tab=comments#comment-1613917  

I had to remove my dash pad to do my power antenna install. I was worried about the removal as well. It is as simple as Ed says. Tom Mooney gives some additional description that was useful. I also posted pictures of the underside of the dash pad that could help. Once you have done this it will all fall into place and you will say: " I was worried about this? It was a piece of cake".

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

You probably were on auto pilot if you’be done this sort of thing before. Intuitive thinking is required to solve hidden apparatus repair, even if it is only a light bulb?

KongaMan, removing the chrome knobs that you hold to activate items on the hvac panel are tedious to get off without losing the set screw. Getting the knobs back on was harder and time consuming. Actually, one knob jumped off and I still have not found the thing. I want to fix the clock and although I’ve read how to unscrew the clock and remove The clock I have not cracked the code. Maybe it is time I take the pad off?

Ed, sometimes using two hands can help. One hand on the front of the clock and the other hand on the back of the clock. I got the impression and maybe  the wrong impression removal was a twist maneuver. i’m satisfied to be mistaken. I’ll reread and consult the service manual and look at the diagram.

Merry Christmas

Red Riviera Bob

Edited by Red Riviera Bob
Error in grammar (see edit history)

Bob,

I used one of those rubber grip pads you find in the kitchen to help removing screw top jars. It helped having both chrome surrounds off on the speedo and fuel/oil/amp/temp gauges too. It is only a 1/12th turn anticlockwise, but it can be tough the first time.

good luck.

Rodney

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Bob,

I used one of those rubber grip pads you find in the kitchen to help removing screw top jars. It helped having both chrome surrounds off on the speedo and fuel/oil/amp/temp gauges too. It is only a 1/12th turn anticlockwise, but it can be tough the first time.

good luck.

Rodney

I second that. That's what did the trick for me when I removed the clock in my car. Then other fun begins once you get the clock loose. Getting the bulb and the wire connector removed and reconnected can be challenging. Buick must have been in a cost saving mode when they ran the wires for the clock. They used the bare minimum. An extra 2-3 inches of wire would have been very helpful. 

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2017 at 11:21 PM, KongaMan said:

Mr Konga Man. It was not a container the bulbs were located. I reached behind and finally felt the socket. I pulled the socket out and made the replacement (s). Worked out ok. I believe there may be merit in taking the dash pad IF you have numerous tasks in the dash to attend. For instance, I’ve changed the instrument cluster bulbs I could find with led, changed the HVAC control panel bulbs with LED. In process of replacing glove box lock to keep the lower left hand corner of the glove box door to lay flat. In view of those number of tasks Nd time invested it m i g h t have been easier on me to have removed the dash pad. Don’t know really asIm finished. I will say I lost one of the rascal chrome sliders that adjust the havc.

Thank you

Red Riviera Bob

On 12/25/2017 at 7:46 AM, Riviera63 said:

I second that. That's what did the trick for me when I removed the clock in my car. Then other fun begins once you get the clock loose. Getting the bulb and the wire connector removed and reconnected can be challenging. Buick must have been in a cost saving mode when they ran the wires for the clock. They used the bare minimum. An extra 2-3 inches of wire would have been very helpful. 

Bill

Gents, good information regarding clock removal AND tools to use. Thank You