Engine to identify

Mark Wetherbee

There might be some info on the starter, and generator, and the distributor.

Also see if there are any casting dates on it.

Maybe post on the Dodge page here.

The engine 'looks like' a Dodge but from what I could see the Dodge Fast Four does not have the water outlet halfway down the side like this engine has.

I am not into Dodges but I could see that it was not the early type with the big starter on the front.

Would make the beginnings of a speedster project. I found a site where someone was modifying one  -  http://www.fastfourspecial.com/engine.html   - I guess somewhere in between stock and not quite as extreme as that one would be a good idea.

In 1927 Dodge went to 6 volts and eliminated the starter/generator (the big starter you mention). They made a "regular" four and a "fast" four, the difference is the fast four had a different manifold system, distributor through the top of the head, and five main bearings. They're good, reliable engines (as were all the early Dodges), but "fast" is a misnomer. They might be 5 or 10 miles an hour faster than the 40 mph "slow four). I've had a slow four to almost 50 mph, but you really don't want to do that, everything is shaking and vibrating and complaining.

Here's a fast four, 1927, if anyone needs it, it's available and for sale, it turns freely but hasn't run in over 50 years, was stored in a garage since the mid-1960s... and is complete with bell housing, clutch, transmission, and pedals...

engine 2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

6v was the norm in the US, but a lot of early British cars used 12v, including Rolls Royce.

Chrysler bought Dodge Brothers in 1926, and that's when the change to 6V came for DB.

Probably no issue getting 12V batteries then, as Dodges sold well and were everywhere. The starter/generator was very reliable, and quiet... always fun to be talking to someone as you sit in your DB, and without looking press the starter pedal... and car just starts quietly!