How much is this 1955 Plymouth Envoy Worth?

Guest Tom_Subby

Guest Tom_Subby

Hello!  I just joined this forum and am hoping to learn some information here.   I also just posted on the Buick forum on a similar topic.  I have the opportunity to acquire an old 1955 Plymouth Envoy from a friend's family whose father passed away and had this vehicle stored in his pole barn.  It was for his daughter who is a good friend of mine and they're willing to sell it to me for a fair price.  That' right now is what I am in need of figuring out.  I've got just a few picture of it right now.  It hasn't ran in I'm guessing 20 years.  I'm not even sure if the engine is free.  But the car is in great shape.   The interior and exterior looks really good to me, all be it, I'm an amateur.  Being an engineer in the auto industry, I would love to fix this car up.  Again, the body, paint, and interior look pretty good but it doesn't run.  I've attached the few pictures I have of it right now.  I am going home for the holidays and can get more detailed shots.  Can anyone help me with feedback or point me in the right direction to figure out what a fare value of this car is?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom20170704_203554.thumb.jpg.c6f29990d4271307a3af68ce66167c25.jpg20170704_203541.thumb.jpg.241ef4b5a3b1229cef1864430951bfe5.jpg

20171127_191445.jpg

Guest Tom_Subby

Thanks all!  Whoops!  Savoy NOT Envoy!  Not sure how I got that!  I need to check on if its a 2 or 4 door.  It is a hard top.  I'll find out more when I go home.  Is there anything specific I should look at?

Thanks,

Tom

9 minutes ago, Tom_Subby said:

Thanks all!  Whoops!  Savoy NOT Envoy!  Not sure how I got that!  I need to check on if its a 2 or 4 door.  It is a hard top.  I'll find out more when I go home.  Is there anything specific I should look at?

Thanks,

Tom

Look underneath for rust. They are VERY prone to do that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tom_Subby

All,

I was able to visit this car again over the holiday.  Per all your feedback, I was able to get some more pictures of the vehicle and look a little closer at it.  Here's what I could tell looking at it:

1) Its a 4-door sedan hardtop

2) The engine is the inline 6 cylinder

3) Not sure what transmission is in it but shift lever is on the column

4) Underneath doesn't look too bad.  Some moderate rust on rocker panels and frame but nothing is eaten through.  Mostly deep surface rust.

5) Odometer reads 18,655mi.

I didn't get a whole lot of pics.  I thought I took more but can't find them.  I've attached what I got.  From what I understand, this car has ran in over 25yrs.  So not sure what kind of condition engine is in.  Overall, it looked pretty good all things considered.  Any feedback on this car, what may need to be done to get it running, what I should be concerned with, and most importantly, what would base value of it in this condition would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Tom

20171225_205327.jpg

20171225_205425.jpg

20171225_205436.jpg

20171225_205741.jpg

20171225_205751.jpg

Nice car. Well, it is a 3 speed manual trans. Can't see if there is an overdrive handle from the pics. I would put a small amount of Automatic trans fluid down each spark plug hole and let it sit for a while(a few weeks). Then try to turn the engine over using a wrench on the crankshaft damper bolt.  If it turns do a couple of full revolutions with the wrench(note: keep the plugs out while doing this As for further  if that does not work there are many threads on this issue on the forum. Do a search as repeating them is silly. Good luck.  Also could easily be 118600 miles but also could be any thing as the speedo could be broken or had been replace in the past.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

Guest Tom_Subby

Thanks for the feedback.

GregLaR, Bleach - Wow, so this car is only worth about $1,500?  I did see Hagerty estimated a running 'daily driver' at $4,300.  I didn't realize that value would be so low for a non-running car.  Is that the main reason for it being worth so little?  Also, I'm assuming the inline 6, 4-dr, hardtop is probably not the most sought after.  Is this a fair statement?  I'm just looking for some additional info I could use for reasoning an offer of around $1,500 since I know the family.  I want to be able to give them as much info for this value as possible.

ols car dog - I'm not sure what the car behind this one is.

Thanks,

Tom

I'm not saying it's only worth $1500. I would be running over with the cash if this was near me and that amount was going to get it. If it is as original as it appears and has no serious rust issues, then it is easily worth that much and more. These engines are very easy to work on and are very robust. Even if it is stuck and it may be as easy as filling the cylinders with some concoction to free it up. If not and it has some other serious issues such as a cracked block, I'm sure another engine of the same type could be easily found for cheap.

This car is very basic and very easy to work on. The fact it has a manual transmission makes it that much simpler.

After looking at the photos, I have reason to believe it really only has 18K original miles. I bet there are no serious issues with the engine. It has collector plates so someone already was making an effort to take care of it.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

Tom, I'm a firm believer in saving almost every neglected/abandoned car. They all have their charm. This is an entry level collector with the least desirable body (4 door sedan), and drive train, 6 cyl. and standard trans. Not to say it isn't charming in it's own way, as well. But there's only so much market for a car like this and when completed it's retail value is limited too. If you don't pay more than it's actually worth at the beginning, you shouldn't have any problem bringing it back to life. Don't over pay for sentimental reasons. Good luck whatever you decide.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I paid 500 for my 2 door hard top with a automatic in it. Actually had a 230 flathead out of a 56 dodge with dual carbs. I ended up just taking the motor,tranny, dash, and the rear and also cut the rear clip to make a couch. The thing was all rotted out and not worth saving. I think it goes savoy,plaza, belvedere.

Great car with a strong motor just drive it and have fun.