1925- 1927 Buick wood kits made

sligermachine

Hi Kyle,  

We are glad that you found that can of oil and were able to lubricate the hinge on your laptop.  We do miss communicating with you and hope you are well.  The water pump shaft that you made for me is still working great.    Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ken,  

Kyle is sligermachine.  He started this topic on wooden kits for 25 to 27 Buicks in 2017.  We have not heard from him for quite a while, so it is good to see him back on the Forum.  Any enquiries you have on your 28,  it is a good idea to start under a new Topic.

• 9 months later...

Hi Jim

Welcome to 20's Buick ownership !  Believe this or not, your car has more wood remaining than some of our cars had (like mine) to use for patterns. 

There are lots of options to consider before starting any work on this car.  Wood kits are not made to my knowledge for Buick Fisher bodied closed cars like this one.   There are guys that will make new wood for the car, but the cost of this wood plus other restoration costs will be more than the car is worth when completed.   If you plan to make a hot rod, the wood replacement solution is typically to align the sheetmetal pieces and weld in tube steel as needed to hold the body together.  The top can be either covered with new sheetmetal or just the upper top wood can be made to support an original type fabric top. 

Any running gear parts can be sold off to other restorers.  The body could also be moved to a newer hot rod chassis instead of trying to modify the old frame to accept new running gear attachment points.  Some hot rod conversions only use the old body, which leaves the original chassis-hood-fenders to be made into a speedster with racing type home made body. 

Bottom line here is how much time and money do you have for a project car ?  Restoring one of these old Buicks can be a long term project. My Buick has been an on and off again project for about 38 years now, and I still have not driven it yet. 

Look through all the half finished hot rod projects on craigslist. There are a lot of them. Often someone begins a project without realizing just how much time and money is required. 

Just a few things to think over. 

Kevin 

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
edit (see edit history)

Thank you for the insights. I have purchased and restored about 14 cars. I do know the cost and time problem. I am currently working on a 51 Studebaker and have a 53 Studebaker waiting. A long time friend needed to get rid of the cars. I guess I was the logical one to sell too. I have the 27 Chevy on a different thread. Not interested in spending a lot on them May resell them but I would like to play around with them. I have a complete Studebaker drivetrain that would not cost much. Are there parts available for these cars?

Jim, 

There are no kits for wood or the upholstery or the top.  I don't know how bad the wood is in the lower section of the car.  The wood in the upper section is easier to replace.  I am not noticing a lot of rust in the lower section of the body but there are repairs that can be made here as well without replacing all the wood.  This is Bob Bitowski's 1927 Buick Master near Dallas TX.   These photos show a not too difficult to build roof structure.  Difficulty is based upon your skill level, but you have restored enough cars that you may just need access to a few wood working tools.  Also attached are notes regarding getting the engine started.  If you take this project on there is good support, and that is what you really need.  Keep in mind that if you just want an easy restoration, buy a Ford Model A.  Tons of parts, etc.  If you want a unique car that is not seen very often and has a lot of presence, these old Buicks are very rewarding.          Hugh

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/317697-1927-buick-standard-2727/?tab=comments#comment-1802402

IMG_18201.thumb.JPG.ee23b347f0ef1c1faaa78b4c3390772b.JPGIMG_18191.thumb.JPG.3279f068117d0591d44d87452fe5e01f.JPGIMG_1133.jpg.d57eecfbb90df6167304c02c854ec3ef.jpgIMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.0f5fe94575983053e45e6e5c3c780187.jpegIMG_1729.thumb.jpeg.ce49df75ef7c9f92f272a8a49c840fa0.jpegIMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.46c572f0e066d6e8590401ee0af2e639.jpeg

Great information and many thanks. I have found whether it be a Nash metropolitan, Studebaker, and other forms that everyone has been very helpful. I am not one to go really after the basic everyone car. That’s why I have done metropolitans, Plymouth pick ups, studebaker‘s, Renault, volvos. I am not a master mechanic or master rebuilder by any means. I am usually the two steps forward one step back type of restore where I am more of a shade tree mechanic guy. I was not looking really for an antique car restore but with them coming to me I thought it would least be fun to get them running and drivable.Any information of where I can get the parts right now for drivability would be great. Brake components drive line components. Is there a good test to find out if those spoked wheels are still usable?

Jim, 

Read thru my link on how to safely get the engine to turn over and run without ruining the timing gear.  The most value you will gain is getting the motor to run and the car to roll.  You can feed it from a lawnmower gas tank.  Do remove the water pump and ensure the water pump will turn before attempting to turn the motor.  The brakes are all mechanical and the band lining material may still be adequate for a first drive.  Change all the fluids.  

Resist the urge to buy new tires at this time.  Maybe a few new tubes if necessary.  There are some used tires out there. OK to have flat spots at this time as long as they hold air.  Jack up the car and shake the wheels and see if the spokes feel loose or solid.  

You will need to go thru the carburetor.  

Looks like someone already made a temporary door handle with the rope at the top of the door.

Hugh  

Any words of wisdom on the transmission and clutch? Rearend? I want to limit damage. I am in no hurry so I can do this correctly. I had a 53 Plymouth Suburban that sat in the desert of Tucson for 30 years. We got it to start up but I did not have the patience I needed and the rings stuck and it smoked heavily. I am assuming this is 6 volt. Positive or negative ground?   I have a spare 6 volt battery charged up. 

You have a filter on your engine, I do not.  I like Shell Rotella T-4 or Chevron Delo 400 LE.  Any oil is better than the oils in the 20's so your call.

For the transmission my suggestion is 60% Lucas 80/90 gear oil and 40% Lucas Stabilizer.  This is what I run in my transmission and you can get this at Walmart even.   Lots of notes on the internet about  using a 50/50 blend as the replacement for the original heavy oil called 600W.   I find my car shifts better than when I used 600W.

For the rear axle.  I like the M533 from Snyders better than the 600W brown muck that I have bought from other Early Ford vendors.  You can also use a blend of the Lucas as described above for the rear axle, but I thought the ratio could be closer to 25/75, but I don't recall which proportion and then it is very common to see the 600W referred to as a 50/50 Lucas blend.  50/50 would protect all the components and should still be thick enough to not leak out.    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2017 at 7:14 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Kyle, 

I made full size drawings of almost all the wood pieces in my 1925 Buick Standard.  I laid the wood pieces on Paper * use white Paper* traced them where I could, including all the holes, and then I added dimensions in case something happened in the photocopy process.  I bought a roll of 36 inch wide Velum paper, and cut it every 24 inches.  24 x 36 inch is the size that can be reasonably reproduced at an Office Supply store like Office Max.  I wanted people globally to be able to make local full size copies.  For pieces that would not fit on a page, I made match lines so that each piece could still be copied full size, then laid out on a piece of wood easier.  

It would cost a fair amount just to ship the wood globally, even shipping drawings is fairly expensive.  If someone needs the files, I can ship a USB drive with all the files for the cost of a postage stamp.  The USB is about $5.  Then they can print the files for the wood pieces that they want to fabricate.  

My wood covers 1925/26/27 Standard Touring (Model 25).  It also makes a good set of drawings for the other cars to help people understand the wood building concepts that Buick used.    Below is a photo of the wood I have drawn.  I also have photos from multiple angles to help people understand what each piece looks like.  Then there are the assembly photos.  No end to the fun!

I do not believe that there are any Master wood drawings for any models.

Hugh

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.5b5a7852bf8e1c2fbb735b1b1b27b46d.JPG

5a26384f52e79_wallwood1.thumb.JPG.8d117d72c779d031ce0a4952f6045410.JPG

Have a Buick 1926-25X, and would love to have a copy, still possibel to get one?

Liv in Norway!

3003.jpg

• Like 1

I have moved my wood drawings to google drive and I can provide access with an email address.  This information should be done by PM.  This AACA forum only holds .jpg files and the wood files are .pdf   I need to find a website that will hold and allow me to share .pdf files.   

Hugh

• Like 2

I have been able to add my full size 1925 Buick Standard Touring wood drawings to the Prewar Buick Registry on the Brass Buicks website.  There are 6 postings that these are in.  Hugh

https://brassbuicks.groups.io/g/PBR/topic/1925_buick_standard_touring/82615581?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,82615581

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 12:14 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Kyle, 

I made full size drawings of almost all the wood pieces in my 1925 Buick Standard.  I laid the wood pieces on Paper * use white Paper* traced them where I could, including all the holes, and then I added dimensions in case something happened in the photocopy process.  I bought a roll of 36 inch wide Velum paper, and cut it every 24 inches.  24 x 36 inch is the size that can be reasonably reproduced at an Office Supply store like Office Max.  I wanted people globally to be able to make local full size copies.  For pieces that would not fit on a page, I made match lines so that each piece could still be copied full size, then laid out on a piece of wood easier.  

It would cost a fair amount just to ship the wood globally, even shipping drawings is fairly expensive.  If someone needs the files, I can ship a USB drive with all the files for the cost of a postage stamp.  The USB is about $5.  Then they can print the files for the wood pieces that they want to fabricate.  

My wood covers 1925/26/27 Standard Touring (Model 25).  It also makes a good set of drawings for the other cars to help people understand the wood building concepts that Buick used.    Below is a photo of the wood I have drawn.  I also have photos from multiple angles to help people understand what each piece looks like.  Then there are the assembly photos.  No end to the fun!

I do not believe that there are any Master wood drawings for any models.

Hugh

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.5b5a7852bf8e1c2fbb735b1b1b27b46d.JPG

5a26384f52e79_wallwood1.thumb.JPG.8d117d72c779d031ce0a4952f6045410.JPG

Hi! Thanks for the post and info! Do you still have the usb drives available? I'm in TX, and will gladly pay shipping costs, too!

I just followed the thread to the end and see the link for the pdfs. Thanks for sharing :):)

Edited by ljsmith (see edit history)

On 12/10/2017 at 11:45 PM, sligermachine said:

I sat and tried to think of how they were  making these parts before the modern shaper machine  some sides have 3 different angels cuts per side

NO kidding! It would be amazing to see the way they did things. We've certainly lost some skills with "newer technologies" available.  This is all amazing and a few years after your journey.

LS

• 5 months later...

Good evening, just purchased a 1925 Buick 26 coach and need to replace the roof. Saw your post from 2017 and wondering if you still have the drawings for the wood pieces? Please let me know if you do and I will be happy to send you the funds for them.

Thanks, 

Dvlchaser

Dvlchaser, 

Sorry but I have no wood drawings for the roof of coaches, as mine is a convertible.  

Below is a link to what to use if you have a small wood repair needed in an area that needs to hold tacks.  Please start a new thread with some photos and introduce yourself.  You will find good support on the Buick Pre War website.   Other members have done roof replacements.  Hugh

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/322112-convertible-top-tack-area-wood-repairs/#comment-1931346

Thanks Hugh,

Patrick O’Brien here aka Dvlchaser. Just purchased my 25 standard coach. Car is in really good condition when you consider it’s age. Original engine starts and the car drives without a problem. Biggest issue I have is knowing what to do with the roof. I will look at the link you sent me. Btw, I am not too far from you, live in Norman ok. 

On 5/24/2022 at 11:48 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Dvlchaser, 

Sorry but I have no wood drawings for the roof of coaches, as mine is a convertible.  

Below is a link to what to use if you have a small wood repair needed in an area that needs to hold tacks.  Please start a new thread with some photos and introduce yourself.  You will find good support on the Buick Pre War website.   Other members have done roof replacements.  Hugh

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/322112-convertible-top-tack-area-wood-repairs/#comment-1931346

BTW Hugh, I joined aaca but am having trouble navigating the site. It is probably my issue, however I cannot find how notifications are done….ie email, or some media source. I just stumbled on your response while searching for info on the top. If I need to contact someone or go to an info site would be happy to do so. Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

Patrick:

Check the reply on your other post as the photo you show is of a 1926-20 coach. There are Fisher Body books available from the period that show details of the roof consruction for your car. There are threads elswhere on the forum with people having working on the same framing issues.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2017 at 11:32 AM, sligermachine said:

If there's enuf interest in buying a preformed wood starter kit  for these  years i would set my machines up to make 12 at a time I'm just asking if there's any  one  looking  i have a few patterns out of the Buicks I own . the last time i restored my 1929 ford I  bought a wood kit and was surprised that i could not do the same for a pre war Buick ?  kyle

Good Evening! I am new to the forum and I recently purchased a 27-24 roadster. I would be very interested if you are still producing these body wood kits. :) 
thanks for your previous post's. Very informative. 

8 hours ago, Echofivelima said:

Good Evening! I am new to the forum and I recently purchased a 27-24 roadster. I would be very interested if you are still producing these body wood kits. :) 
thanks for your previous post's. Very informative. 

Hi Echofivelima

Kyle Sliger "Sligermachine" has sold his machine shop and moved.  His roadster is a Master model 25-44 so the wood patterns he had would not work for a smaller Standard model 24.  Start a new thread and show us some photos of your 27-24.  Btw I am working on body wood for my 25-45 touring that was missing all the original wood.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

Hi Echofivelima

Kyle Sliger "Sligermachine" has sold his machine shop and moved.  His roadster is a Master model 25-44 so the wood patterns he had would not work for a smaller Standard model 24.  Start a new thread and show us some photos of your 27-24.  Btw I am working on body wood for my 25-45 touring that was missing all the original wood.  

Oh! thank you for the updated information. I will indeed start a new thread with some photos. Thanks again!

• Like 1