1925- 1927 Buick wood kits made

sligermachine

If there's enuf interest in buying a preformed wood starter kit  for these  years i would set my machines up to make 12 at a time I'm just asking if there's any  one  looking  i have a few patterns out of the Buicks I own . the last time i restored my 1929 ford I  bought a wood kit and was surprised that i could not do the same for a pre war Buick ?  kyle

I know of at least six 1924-25 Master Series Buicks that could use new wood kits.  I realize the set up time is where the $$ is, so making a dozen at a time might work well for you since could use several yourself...  I will forward a link to this post to those I know of...

• Like 1

Kyle, 

I made full size drawings of almost all the wood pieces in my 1925 Buick Standard.  I laid the wood pieces on Paper * use white Paper* traced them where I could, including all the holes, and then I added dimensions in case something happened in the photocopy process.  I bought a roll of 36 inch wide Velum paper, and cut it every 24 inches.  24 x 36 inch is the size that can be reasonably reproduced at an Office Supply store like Office Max.  I wanted people globally to be able to make local full size copies.  For pieces that would not fit on a page, I made match lines so that each piece could still be copied full size, then laid out on a piece of wood easier.  

It would cost a fair amount just to ship the wood globally, even shipping drawings is fairly expensive.  If someone needs the files, I can ship a USB drive with all the files for the cost of a postage stamp.  The USB is about $5.  Then they can print the files for the wood pieces that they want to fabricate.  

My wood covers 1925/26/27 Standard Touring (Model 25).  It also makes a good set of drawings for the other cars to help people understand the wood building concepts that Buick used.    Below is a photo of the wood I have drawn.  I also have photos from multiple angles to help people understand what each piece looks like.  Then there are the assembly photos.  No end to the fun!

I do not believe that there are any Master wood drawings for any models.

Hugh

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.5b5a7852bf8e1c2fbb735b1b1b27b46d.JPG

5a26384f52e79_wallwood1.thumb.JPG.8d117d72c779d031ce0a4952f6045410.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Its really cold past 3 days only got vary little done but i'm proud of how these are coming along 3 new door hing post made  that's so I have one to draw in 3d after i get doors hung on my 1925  Master roadster  .there is not a square at all to base all dimensions on every cut is at 8 deg + or _ on all sides some 4 deg. to on ends . it took me 5 hr to make 3 so I bet this part is A 7 on a  10 scale of hard   im going to program my cnc to make some of this shape hinge post tomorrow i will cut the 3 deg cuts where the hinges bolt on -- one inch at a time  kyle

20171206_005836_Film1[1].jpg

20171206_001058_Film1[1].jpg

20171205_210844_Film1[1].jpg

20171206_005748_Film1[1].jpg

20171206_000829_Film1[2].jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

If you're doing this on a CNC machine, why not engrave a part number or description on each part?  It would sure prevent some confusion later...

your right when i use a cnc to make them I will but to test fit hand made ones  before I make some programs  is safer takes long time to tipe all thoes # in 

the door skin fits like a glove to the old wood frame  except  the hinge postin side it had a bad crack in it so its now repaired I pried the crack open pored 2 tubes of supper glue in the darn cracks and clamped them back together with 6 c clamps the edges of the cracks I cut beveled on them with a knife  sharpest i could find so after i poured the super glue in them i poured sawdust on the bevels I had made to seal the things solid so after I spent 20 min figuring out how to let go of the door i had successfully glued half my hand to cus my hand was so cold did not fill the 2 tube of superglue fill my palm it  was a successful repair .I just need it for tracing  on new wood  but the closer the first part the ezrrrr it is to get the bast  fit I can get .I would really appreciate a warm night  besides in front of my hot spot heatter .One inch at a time  kyle 

20171207_232838_Film1[1].jpg

20171207_233613_Film1[1].jpg

20171207_233626_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

You work looks great.

have u ever heard of some wood that was pre maid at all for buicks or does everyone have to set down and figure out a set for there self .Now that I made a hole set for the 1925 Master roadster it took a wile .I did not fit the ends together yet I thought I should set up a post in the center of the car and true up the hole car as best as I can so all the joints fit tight and are true the first time  and doors fitting up really good .hear is the rest of the wood parts to form the body 

20171210_033545_Film1[1].jpg

20171210_033710_Film1[1].jpg

20171210_023700_Film1[1].jpg

20171210_031219_Film1[1].jpg

Kyle,

If you true-up the whole car when you rebuild the body, it will probably be better than it was when new.  Keep in mind that these cars were hand made by factory workers who worked in different shifts, took time off, and changed jobs within the same factory from time to time.  So non-uniformity can be expected in the final fit & finish.  A great example is to look at original pin striping on the same year and model cars.  Different workers painted them differently and have caused many arguments at judged car shows in recent years. 

I am still impressed with how much you have accomplished in recent weeks..  Keep up the good work and we will be touring together soon...

• Like 2

the key to making multi angle parts fast is draw the part inside of the block and do all work while it is square  cut angle tape cut off part back on so its still square. rotate square make next angle cut. tape cut back to block  never lose cut off part rotate next side cut with bandsaw tape cut off part back on  4 cuts per block 20 min per post all sides match . I sat and tried to think of how they were  making these parts before the modern shaper machine  some sides have 3 different angels cuts per side .you  can do this by tape cut part back on so its square again reset ban saw angle cut same side again .  kyle 

see blue tape holding cut off bottom so part is still square and flat 

20171210_192622_Film1[1].jpg

20171210_193027_Film1[1].jpg

20171210_191213_Film1[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 9:45 PM, sligermachine said:

the key to making multi angle parts fast is draw the part inside of the block and do all work while it is square  cut angle tape cut off part back on so its still square. rotate square make next angle cut. tape cut back to block  never lose cut off part

5a2faec07f180_20171212_021107_Film11.thumb.jpg.ec1de3fd614e2714d53a1462607f20bb.jpg

20171212_020320_Film1[1].jpg

20171212_015606_Film1[1].jpg

20171212_014628_Film1[1].jpg

20171212_020851_Film1[1].jpg

20171212_014150_Film1[1].jpg

My cheap bandsaw broke I have had it for 18 years pretty good if u ask me ! I modified it to have 4 speeds needs a new motor so it was a good excuse to buy a new one  so I modified it now the table is 4 feet long its a jet -sliger machine now .I have not posted anything for a few days because I needed to put in --installed a dust collector I had one in my old shop but it was buried pined to the wall with my 31 ford truck which sounds easy to move but I had cut down a tree and it was behind the barn style wood door so I had to finish that before I could open the door to move the truck to move the dust collector but no step for a stepper .200 trips up a ladder to the ceiling in my new shop and walaaa now I have a clean shop I hope the sawdust will now just disappear i hoping  I just tried it awesome  the belt sander is setting on a table that is also a dust collector . the whole thing will need some tweaking but it works with 2  3.5`` pipes going to it if u pore a hand full of dust next to it while it's on it goes sideways to the table instead of my lungs witch is what  i was after so i made some truck wood parts that fit like a charm and I'm on vacation now I'M going to true up the hole car and fit the joints together as beast i can all the original parts had 1 screw in the middle of the joint   ---- where they glued   together originally ?????? I have made some copies of a few of the parts already that way i can test fit them in this set of doors I have a 4 door and was comparing them bigger I say so if anyone has a nice set of wood for a bigger door that you're not using yet I would like to borrow them for a day and i will send them back to you that way I don't have to mess around and waste time the most valuable thing anyone has  Boy the whole screen is under lined red going to take a while to get this one ready to print .making stuff is my strong point not spelling for sure  hears some pictures I took time to build a new wood bench and a new steel table its faster to make stuff out of steel to me just a minute of welding and walla a new bench for all the sanders 

20171218_020314_Film1[1].jpg

20171218_020122_Film1[1].jpg

20171218_015625_Film1[1].jpg

20171218_015550_Film1[1].jpg

20171218_012620_Film1[1].jpg

20171218_015448_Film1[1].jpg

20171218_011856_Film1[1].jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 3:21 PM, sadaka-inc said:

Truck was scrapped. We still have front fenders and some cab and roof panels if interested. Dave

On 12/4/2017 at 10:14 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Kyle, 

I made full size drawings of almost all the wood pieces in my 1925 Buick Standard.  I laid the wood pieces on Paper * use white Paper* traced them where I could, including all the holes, and then I added dimensions in case something happened in the photocopy process.  I bought a roll of 36 inch wide Velum paper, and cut it every 24 inches.  24 x 36 inch is the size that can be reasonably reproduced at an Office Supply store like Office Max.  I wanted people globally to be able to make local full size copies.  For pieces that would not fit on a page, I made match lines so that each piece could still be copied full size, then laid out on a piece of wood easier.  

It would cost a fair amount just to ship the wood globally, even shipping drawings is fairly expensive.  If someone needs the files, I can ship a USB drive with all the files for the cost of a postage stamp.  The USB is about $5.  Then they can print the files for the wood pieces that they want to fabricate.  

My wood covers 1925/26/27 Standard Touring (Model 25).  It also makes a good set of drawings for the other cars to help people understand the wood building concepts that Buick used.    Below is a photo of the wood I have drawn.  I also have photos from multiple angles to help people understand what each piece looks like.  Then there are the assembly photos.  No end to the fun!

Hugh

with this pic. I will make the rest of my parts thank u Hue--kyle

On 12/26/2017 at 3:21 PM, sadaka-inc said:

Truck was scrapped. We still have front fenders and some cab and roof panels if interested. Dave

On 12/4/2017 at 10:14 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Kyle, 

Hugh

with this pic. I will make the rest of my parts thank u Hue--kyle

• 2 years later...

Hugh

Thanks Hugh for the invaluable information. I am restarting my 40 year restoration of my mother’s first car from Saskatchewan (model 27-20) and could really benefit from your drawings. I would appreciate contact  with you to get a USB copy if that offer is still available. Thanks so much.

Jim

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2017 at 11:32 AM, sligermachine said:

If there's enuf interest in buying a preformed wood starter kit  for these  years i would set my machines up to make 12 at a time I'm just asking if there's any  one  looking  i have a few patterns out of the Buicks I own . the last time i restored my 1929 ford I  bought a wood kit and was surprised that i could not do the same for a pre war Buick ?  kyle

Just picked up a 1927 Buick, may be awhile but good to know there’s someone out there to help with some of these things

FDFC8B24-3145-40C0-BC2D-51CCFAB437A5.jpeg

KHenry

Buick started producing their following years models in August.  So even though your car was manufactured in 1927,  it is a 1928 year car.  There are no wood kits for these cars,  so keep as much of the original wood as you can.

2 minutes ago, Rod Wise said:

KHenry

Buick started producing their following years models in August.  So even though your car was manufactured in 1927,  it is a 1928 year car.  There are no wood kits for these cars,  so keep as much of the original wood as you can.

Thank you