Winter storage

Pilgrim65

Would love to have one of beutiful heated car barns some members have , but not in that league .

so make the best I can , don't have a garage , so Ruby stored under car port, which I built.

Must mention car in Cyprus , so temperature rarely drops below 40 f , but during winter we have very heavy rain and being on the waterside extremely strong salty winds .

As said Ruby under carport , exposed on two sides . I cover with a material cover first , obsorbs moisture and stops any rubbing of the top thick plastic waterproof cover against car.  Top cover has elasticated ends so stays on pretty well. Floor is concrete with slight slope so no residual water under car.  Car stands for about 4 months , unless I have cause to visit , which only do if there's a problem with villa .

Have I done enough , haven't disconnected battery this year , may regret it. .

would like to know any tips or advice you guys have . Many thanks ?

cheers

pilgrim 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

You didn't mention what "Ruby" is. For my closed cars,I use a car dehumidifier to absorb moisture inside.There are several on the market.The one I like best is the Zarpax,made in the Netherlands (another moist country). It looks like a 6" by 3" bean bag with a round patch in the center.When dry,the patch is blue,and when full of moisture the patch turns pink.Five minutes in a microwave and it's ready to use again.It has made a noticeable difference in keeping out that musty smell old cars can develop.I usually have to dry them out about 3 or 4 times a year. Not quite as useful if you don't inspect the car for 4 months.

Jim

So after it has been sweating for a while the under cover is soaking wet? A water proof cover usually causes moisture to accumulate under the cover. Moist air is under there on warm days. It cools down below the dew point and the water is deposited on the car. On the next warm day it does not come out and more moist warm air goes in. Next time the dew point is reached, more moisture is deposited. And so on.

Heavy rain will give you a bit of splashing up of water and dirt onto the car from the ground, if the rain lands near the car.

Ruby is a convertible , but I have put top up. Like bag idea , will see if I can get one. Covers, sounds like I should take material cover off , been on for 3/4 weeks before whilst returning to U.K. , no moisture on car that I've noticed when removed, but understand the theory and risk, will check. Car came with a felt cover , perished now , but left that on last winter under my loose fitting plastic one. Although I don't return for 4 months my friend who lives there all year would check and adjust , so thanks for advice will act on it.

cheers

pilgrim

You are absolutely correct in using well thought out different layers under a car port. Allowing ventilation to some degree , with a totally impermeable layer on top of everything is the way to go. As long as the carport keeps 98% of the water off of the car , and hopefully all of the sunlight , you can keep the car wrapped for very extended periods. Particularly in that you have someone who can monitor things. I have done so totally successfully. And so have you. In some cases car covers can concentrate salt in a marine environment , but it sounds like you do not have that vulnerability. It is also possible to rig tarps over , but not touching the car. That is by using the structure of the carport from which to string lines and shock cords to serve as the rigging. How much time do you have before you leave ?   - Carl 

Obviously with carport open sides let in some rain when wind blowing strong to. Luckily Sun only reaches trunk area , but can get very hot in summer so I keep covered. Wintertime sun not so hot and because lower in the sky , only on car for a couple of hours so hopefully not generating to much moisture,plus lot more wind so may compensate.

Back in U.K. So fingers crossed alls going to be  Ok.

cheers

Edited by Pilgrim65
Missing word (see edit history)

This will be my fourth or fifth year of heating my garage to maintain 38 to 42 degrees minimum and warming it when I work out there to 65, sometime 75 degrees. It is not the tightest building around but I have always been in the $250 to under $350 per season. Isn't it interesting that your low outside temperature is what I heat mine UP to. The garage is 26' X 40' and O keep four cars in it. So 80 bucks per car. I can tell the difference. I do not use car covers. I like to go out there and see them.

Ventilation might be better for your cars than a cover. You might consider dropping a 4' panel down the side of the carport on the windward and sunny sides for more protection from the rain and sun. On good days I would walk around the car with detailer and a cloth and buff it up a little like I do in my garage. The surface stuff is easy to see and attend to.

One of these oil pump guns: HVLP-Paint-Spray-Gun-Oil-Pump-Cans-Oiler

Can be filled with automatic transmission fluid and pumped into the inner panels of the doors and fenders to shield against water. The ATF has very good creep qualities and will wick its way up to coat very well. Then if water gets inside the panels it may evaporate without corroding.

Keeping the car very clean, well ventilated, and away from sun is really the best. Wet and clean is lots better than wet and dirty.

I can also tell from your posts that you are not too young, me either. I bought my Riviera when I was 30, almost 40 years ago. I don't plan on keeping it another 40 years so I really don't have to be extra careful, maybe 30 at the most. How many years are you planning to keep yours? Get a feel for that and you might have a bright spot in your day!

Bernie

Bernie , funny how your little likes appeal to me to,

I prefer car without cover and leave it off most of the time, as I like to look at her and give a little polish if I see any finger prints or marks. Problem is in Cyprus  we get a lot of dust and sand ,said to be from Sahara , so I am continually cleaning and polishing and pride myself on keeping her pristine. However at this time of year heavy rain combined with wind  Necessitates a waterproof cover as rain will blow in open sides . I note your idea about blanking sides and I'd already done that I often bang my head ! Can't do much about the front , may hang a tarpaulin over it next year. However my cover is good and keeps car dry, at least it did last year!

Regarding how long to keep cars at my age, morbid thought  ? but good question , none of my children are interested, they like them but are not prepared to look after them so have decided that they must go during the next five years, The problem is made worse because I have little storage space in my Uk home and will only be able to park one car . Unfortunately the space won't accommodate a big American , so I'm back to small European. Sad thought! Hopefully you have someone who would love to have yours one day

Cheers

pilgrim     

Well, some people just never know how nice the color of their car looks against the snow.

n0002.thumb.JPG.17ce08e24742ec757688a9d5de9e3c11.JPG

My kids haven't talked to me about succession planning since I told them I was going to spend all my money.

We have an ancient lake bed about 10 miles west of me called the muckland. The dust gets riled up in clouds during the dry time, makes quite a sunset. I notice the difference between that silty dust and when I work on the city and get the smeary, greasy dust.

I figure 10 years from now I would like a place in the Cayman Islands and a little cottage in Georgia with a big garage to keep the cars.

Just talking with the cardiologist, I was laying out my 40 year plan. He said "Sure, I recommend the planning, just don't expect it."

I put HIM on the list of people I am going to outlive!

Bernie

• Haha 1

Great photo  of cars in the snow, may make a few collectors on here gasp!  As their cars are tucked up in temp controlled luxury car pads, only jealous I'd love one.?

Dont think I'd be able to provide a similar photo , no recollection of snow in Cyprus. However with global changes , never discount anything. ?