Saw this Mercer in San Diego....

keiser31

Saw what I believe is a 1912 Mercer when i was in San Diego for my Mom's 90th birthday celebration. We were just cruising around and came across a private collection. Here is the car....

Picture 097.jpg

Picture 098.jpg

Picture 099.jpg

Picture 100.jpg

Picture 101.jpg

Picture 102.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One of my all time favorite cars. About 10 years ago, and shortly after retiring, I considered building a series of half-models of historic race cars, much like boat designers build half-models of their hulls. Idea was to build a small cottage industry, creating wall hangers for connoisseurs of the hobby. Starting with Lee Valley wooden spoke wheels (which I modified somewhat), my first (and only) effort was this 1914 Mercer Type 35, built from scratch using workshop bits and bobs. Still think it would be a potential money making idea if the cost of building them could be reduced dramatically (this prototype took about 150 hours including design and scaling).  

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

• Like 1

I get to look at a Mercer Raceabout every day and it didn't cost me huge bucks to do so.

OK, so it is a pencil drawing by my HS friend Bill Briggs, a noted Nashville artist and muralist who has done a huge amount of work for Corky Coker's collections. The original is over four feet wide and hangs over my living room sofa.

Took me about 20 years to get it away from Bill...

Mercer drawing web.jpg

mercer2.jpg

• Like 1

To follow up on a comment I made in my previous post, here's some of the terrific artwork Bill has done for Corky. I think these pieces are in the Chattanooga collection but I believe some of Bill's art is also at the California Coker location as well. IIRC Bill has done almost 80 pieces for Coker.

Neat stuff. The advertising-themed pieces are not exact reproductions of period ads but rather Bill's fanciful reimaginings.

bill & coker paintings.jpg

coker_project.jpg

coker.5.jpg

I apologize for shamelessly promoting my long-time friend's work, but if anyone is looking to commission transportation art, he's the guy to call IMO. Bill's a long-time old car enthusiast and collector and is/was an AACA member for many years.

If the admins feel this post is inappropriate for this thread, please feel free to delete it.