Can Anyone Recommend A Good Scratch Remover?

Riviera63

I am looking for a recommendation for a good scratch remover. Thankfully, it is not for my Riviera but, for my wife's car. My head swims with the number of different products available for whatever application you happen to be shopping for. They all of course claim to be "the best". If someone could recommend a product that they have used with good success I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. 

Bill

Edited by Riviera63
Change Title (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, bodayguy said:

I've used Dr ColorChip, including on my Riviera, and it's good and very easy to use.

Thanks for responding. That looks like a good system for chips where the paint is gone down to the metal. I was looking for something that one could rub on to remove or blend in more superficial scratches. The paint is still basically intact but discolored or marred.

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Thanks for responding. That looks like a good system for chips where the paint is gone down to the metal. I was looking for something that one could rub on to remove or blend in more superficial scratches. The paint is still basically intact but discolored or marred.

It would work well in that situation. I used it to disguise a spider crack on my NSX paint that wasn't deep.

• Like 1

Hey Bill!   For superficial scratches you need some rubbing compound to remove the scratch, followed by polishing compound to remove the haze caused by the rubbing compound, then some wax to return the shine & protect the paint. As for brand names, one is probably as good as the other. If you're unsure about technique, go on you tube, search "removing scratches from auto paint" or something similar, and you will find instructional videos and product ads & testimonials. Its actually pretty easy to remove superficial scratches, deeper ones may require some expertise.     Good luck,   Drew

I had a black Ford (forgive me) and a blue Buick Riviera in the past. Each car had some minor scratches in the paint where a previous owner had dragged something across the trunk of the Buick and the hood of the Ford.  I found some colored wax that worked really well in hiding those scratches.  I don't recall the name of the wax, but I'm sure that I got it at one of the local jobbers.  It didn't remove the scratches, I tried to do that using the technique that Rivnik stated above but that didn't work, but it was pretty easy to hide them though.

Ed

The best stuff for getting scratches out of paint or polishing paint is Mother's Billet Metal Polish part no. 05106

It comes

in a 4 oz. tub and I buy it from Amazon because most parts stores don't sell it. It removes scratches like a rubbing compound but leaves

a streak free scratch free brilliant shine like a fine finishing polish, all in one 15 second step. A custom painter that painted my GTO told me about the

stuff and the first time I used it I was flabbergasted. Just rub it into the paint with a damp microtowel and buff it off with a dry towel. The stuff

is amazing, and it isn't even made for polishing paint, in fact it says do not use on paint right on the container. When I first tried it, I polished out my enitre

70 Chevelle SS 396's paint by hand with the stuff, waxed the car and won a Best Of Show Paint Award at a show with 300 cars in it the first time out. If you ever use it you will NEVER use anything else. I usually buy it from Amazon 4 or 5 tubs at a time as I use it a lot on my customer's cars at my car repair shop..

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

The best stuff for getting scratches out of paint or polishing paint is Mother's Billet Metal Polish. It comes

in a 4 oz. tub and I buy it from Amazon because most parts stores don't sell it. It removes scratches like a rubbing compound but leaves

a streak free scratch free brilliant shine like a fine finishing polish, all in one 15 second step. A custom painter that painted my GTO told me about the

stuff and the first time I used it I was flabbergasted. Just rub it into the paint with a damp microtowel and buff it off with a dry towel. The stuff

is amazing, and it isn't even made for polishing paint, in fact it says do not use on paint right on the container. When I first tried it, I polished out my enitre

70 Chevelle SS 396's paint by hand with the stuff, waxed the car and won a Best Of Show Paint Award at a show with 300 cars in it the first time out. If you ever use it you will NEVER use anything else. I usually buy it from Amazon 4 or 5 tubs at a time as I use it a lot on my customer's cars at my car repair shop..

Winston,

That's the personal product endorsement I was looking for. If you trust using it on your collector cars and probably more importantly if you trust using it on other people's cars that's good enough proof for me. I will give that a try. Thanks for your tip and thanks to all of you that responded.

Bill

• Like 1

This pic of the Chevelle was taken a couple of months after I had polished out the whole car with the Mother's Billet Polish. By the way, the best wax

out there is the Next Generation liquid wax by McGuier's in the purple bottle. In this pic the Chevelle was polished with the Mother's and waxed with the Next Generation wax. It's showtime!

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

46 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

This pic of the Chevelle was taken a couple of months after I had polished out the whole car with the Mother's Billet Polish. By the way, the best wax

out there is the Next Generation liquid wax by McGuier's in the purple bottle. In this pic the Chevelle was polished with the Mother's and waxed with the Next Generation wax. It's showtime!

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

Winston,

Looks fantastic. I did order the billet polish. I will check out the wax as well. Thanks.

Bill

On 10/23/2017 at 9:07 AM, Seafoam65 said:

The best stuff for getting scratches out of paint or polishing paint is Mother's Billet Metal Polish part no. 05106

It comes

Mr. Seafoam, I'll second that! I cleaned the outside paint surface of the car. Applied the Mothers Billet as Winston said. Then I applied Meguire's Tech 2 wax. The shine popped. And the shine is easy to maintain.

Red Riviera Bob