Trunk back / Slant back

bobj49f2

Does anyone know why the two different body styles were offered?   Maybe it had something to do with the transition from an actual external trunk to one integrated in the body, maybe they thought the public wouldn't go for such a severe change?  Just curious.  I personally like the truck back, some,reason it just looks better.  The slant back drops off too soon.

GM introduced the fastback body styling in 1941 but it was far from a sure thing, so they hedged their bets by offering similarly-priced cars in multiple series just in case it was a flop. They watched Chrysler struggle with the Airflow and quickly retool to get the more conventional Airstream on the market to stop their sales free-fall. By putting the fastback bodies in the Special and Century lineups, they knew that they would either capture a lot of customers from other brands if the styling was a success or drive current customers into the more expensive Super and Roadmaster series if it were a failure. It was a carefully calculated move, at least at Buick (I don't know how the other divisions offered the bodies).

Of course, we know the styling was a big hit, with more than 100,000 Special sedanettes selling in 1941 alone, and it would define American styling for a decade as other manufacturers brought out similar fastback designs. I obviously love the sedanette look but find the 4-door versions to be a little less successful without that very long, graceful curve from windshield header to rear bumper. I think the '49 Roadmaster sedanette is arguably the pinnacle of Buick's fastback styling, and I'd make the suggestion that the '48-49 Cadillacs are the most beautiful sedanettes of all.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the "slantback" reference is to the Buicks of the late 30's, not the "fastback" models that started in '41 (although I completely agree with your analysis of the "fastback" style).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

I'm pretty sure the "slantback" reference is to the Buicks of the late 30's, not the "fastback" models that started in '41 (although I completely agree with your analysis of the "fastback" style).

Ah, I can see that. I think you're right.

Numerous manufacturers offered both styles but I don't know why. Even Cord, for example, offered both a smooth trunk and a humpback model. Perhaps there were those for whom luggage space was not a consideration (like a car that would only be driven locally?) and it was enough of a market to offer both styles? I don't rightly know.

Remember that up til about 1932 almost no car had a built in trunk so it was just a continuation of the well accepted style. The earlier built in trunks had a quite limited capacity and people were probably used to piling large quantities of luggage where ever they could on the car.   Like this  -  28846-atl.jpg

57 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

Holden also had a unique version that I believe came out earlier than the U.S as well

Yes. As image below (with the GM Holden body down under)

1937-Fisher_Holden.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Man could I go for a '37 Cent Sloper! Did they make a Cent version?

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Holdens built 35 1936 Century Slopers and twelve (12) 1937 Century Slopers. No more big series Buicks after that.

Some years ago I saw a 38 Century slopper for sale (From memory a car GMH did not officially make)

Like Fisher 37-38-39-40 GM Holden (Australian) series 40 & series 60 body shells are  essentially the same so putting on series 60 chassis is possible

• 1 year later...