Utes

Xander Wildeisen

What was the best looking ute produced?

Personally, I think they all look pretty good, I like them all! I think the  1946-48 Mercury was nice,  as well as the 55-59 Mainlines. They are probably something that isn't really appreciated outside Australia. In the US, they are just an oddball vehicle, but over here they are well loved. People here have fond memories of owning one or knew someone that had one.

16 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Have never been a fan of the ute. Trucks in most cases had better styling. What was the best looking ute produced?

What was the best looking ute produced?   1957 Ford Ranchero is the answer.

My thought is it would be a car body designed with a pickup bed.  Probably the Hudson doesn't really qualify as it has a separate bed not integrated into the body like a conventional UTE.   The El-Camino, Ranchero and yes even Dodge Rampage are probably more Ute than the Hudson would be.  I still think The Hudson and Stude Coupe Express are close enough to be in the running though.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

We could take one to Australia and see,  but I don't think we'll get it through Quarantine unless it's all been rebuilt with safe eco friendly parts.  

I'me surprise they even let us own cars anymore since they all have oil in them and in a horrific accident could lose some on the road.  

Never mind the toxic waste to manufacture all the green energy  stuff.  

The only time I have heard the term ute, is when talking about a car/truck design from Australia. Would a El Camino/Ranchero ever be classified as a ute in a show?

I agree, a ute has to originate from Australia. Whether an El Camino or Ranchero would classify, I don't know. I doubt I've seen an El Camino in Australia (I'm sure there are some here), however, I have seen a few 60's Rancheros over here, as they are very similar to our Falcon utes of the same period, but just that little bit different.

This is my favorite ute, the 1957 Mainline. They used a convertible chassis with the big X cross-member in the middle for extra strength and a mixture of parts from Ford in the US and Canada.

Sadly, all the Ford and Holden utes come to an end this year. They have stopped making them, and are only selling what is still available in the showrooms.

1957.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 5:21 AM, auburnseeker said:

My thought is it would be a car body designed with a pickup bed.  Probably the Hudson doesn't really qualify as it has a separate bed not integrated into the body like a conventional UTE.   The El-Camino, Ranchero and yes even Dodge Rampage are probably more Ute than the Hudson would be.  I still think The Hudson and Stude Coupe Express are close enough to be in the running though.  

No agreed Aussie definition, but the body and deck in 1 continuous body shell is more what purists call as a "ute"

Many sold in the last decade have a separate body and tray. but still advertised a "ute"

Ford have stooped car/ute/SUV production in Australia and only a few weeks left before Toyota & GM Holden stop production for good. 100% imports from then

There  El Camino  in Aussie, including 1959-60 and others from 1970's; as well as Ford Ranchero's 

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Brat's do last!  I have a friend here in the mountains with a 1982 that he bought new, still used as his farm truck, plus a 1984 that he bought last year with everything original  great HPOF Ute that still looks new.  He took it on the Founder's Tour this year in Gettysburg.