Hurricane

nick8086

I fear that there may be significant losses as a result of "Harvey", now, and in the week(s) to come.

Last year we used this FORUM as a clearing house so that folks with available storage, tow vehicles, and/or trailers  could post availability for those in troubled areas who needed our help.

That same idea might be useful now for our brother and sister collectors in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana. That having been said, I'll start a separate thread so folks can give it support if they choose.

• Like 3

Based upon what we all are seeing through news media I would think more precedence would be for asking anyone who has some basic housing for the people first.   Somehow cars are like any other material thing that takes second place in a catastrophe like Harvey.

Peter J.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Based upon what we all are seeing through news media I would think more precedence would be for asking anyone who has some basic housing for the people first.   Somehow cars are like any other material thing that takes second place in a catastrophe like Harvey.

Peter J.

Of course Peter is correct, and there are a great many organizations striving toward that most important goal, many of us individually as well.

Separately, should the need arise, it is good to know that assistance could be offered to support our brothers and sisters in the collector vehicle hobby.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Hopefully only material things will be lost for all effected by this terrible event. Our prayers and hopes are with them all. 

As far as the cars go most would be able to be rebuilt. They may not be original as some are now but once dried out and cleaned up I would think the bodies should be ok. Total submersion would mean a lot of tear down and rebuild work but doable. 

At least I would hope so. 

I once purchased a 71 Cadillac that had been submerged in fresh water and had dried out on it's own in the salvage pool.

When I got it, I drained the oil pan (there was no oil, just water), the distributor and the carb and removed the spark plugs.

I then filled the complete engine with hot water several times, inc the dist.and the intake manifold right up to the top of the carb.

After draining I installed oil and new filter and cranked it over.

(WARNING! dont stand in front of the spark plug holes. Don't ask me how I know.)

I then started it and  let it idle for an hour or so with a cardboard over the radiator to get it hot. Then changed the oil and filter. I never had any trouble with it since.

Only the printed circuit board in the instrument panel and the radio needed changing. (The clock didn't work but 4 years later it started and kept time.)

I did remove the carpets and dried them and put them back in. Never had a wet smell.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Right now I do not think there is any access into or out of Houston as all roads are blocked and both airports are shut down.  We have had 29-30 inches of rain in College Station since Friday night and parts of Houston could get another 20 inches.  If you wish to do something I would suggest donating money to the RED CROSS which is doing heroic work from all over Texas.  They expect to house over 30000 individuals in shelters before this is over.

• Like 1

I have friends in Brazoria who are stranded. I sold the 50 to one of them and the other is his mother who is also stranded. They have food and water for now. It is very likely the 50 will be flooded along with a newly restored 53 Crestliner convertible. They expect they will loose several family home which are paid for. This is unimaginably horrific. I told them when they can get out of the area they can stay at my dad's place in Hill Country. 

A levey in the area breached and they were told to get out but they can not. I hope they stay safe. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)