1937 Buick Radio Antenna Plug

Jack Worstell

Our 1937 has an original OEM radio.     The antenna however is cowl mounted so I guess it is not original...because so far as I know the 1937 Buick Special came 

only with a running board type antenna as OEM.            The plug on the end of this ( non-OEM ? ) antenna         plugs into the radio socket....but it doesn't feel  "snug".

So...my question....does anyone have a photo of the plug on the end of the OEM antenna lead ?  So I can compare it to the plug we have ?

Thanks   Jack Worstell                       jlwmaster@aol.com

My back is sore today and I don't want to crawl under the dash, but this should give you an idea. Over the years they made an adapter that went from the original radio jack to a more modern antenna end. I am attaching two pictures of the adapter including one that shows the radio end.

Carl

P8090002.JPG

P8090001.JPG

The plug on my car was in bad shape and wouldnt stay in. I made a new one, but I have a lathe and a mill. It wasnt really that hard.  So a replacement can be fabricaed if you have the facilities. 

If you'd like I could provide details.

Don

I am just guessing since I don't have an original radio to look at, but wouldn't it be easier to simply purchase a standard motorola antenna jack and convert the radio over to a more modern antenna style connector? In years past, I would have used Radio Shack to find one, but these days, I see you can get one delivered to your door for under $3 through eBay.

Matt.     replacing the input port on the radio would mean removing the radio to make the conversion....not something I look forward to.

But in the interest of keeping all options open.....exactly what would I have to buy from Radio Shack or eBay or wherever so as to make this conversion? 

Can you point to something currently on eBay ?

Thanks  Jack

6 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

My back is sore today and I don't want to crawl under the dash, but this should give you an idea. Over the years they made an adapter that went from the original radio jack to a more modern antenna end. I am attaching two pictures of the adapter including one that shows the radio end.

Carl

P8090001.JPG

Carl,

Any chance of taking a photo showing and end view of this plug showing some dimensions? It may be some sort of plug that can be found elsewhere. I can't tell much about it from the side view to identify it.   

Jack, I am out of town right now. However I can provide fabrication details when I get home.   Since it is brass, I dont know about the 3D printing - I am a semi Ludite. 

Quite literally, it is about a 1 hour project.

As tight as it is inside the radio case and as deep as a modern plug is, I think it would be a real PITA to change over.

Matt,

Sorry, but I'm exhausted from cutting up trees all day that fell down in a recent storm and I loaned my caliper out. I hope this photo help some. Eyeballing it with a measuring tape it appears to be about 5/16 diameter with two prongs. When installing or removing you need to push the antenna cable in and turn as I recall.

Carl

P8090001.JPG

• Like 1