Chrysler products delivery convoy

nzcarnerd

I was going to put this in the Dodge trucks section but thought it would get a bigger audience here. Found on Shorpy. Just curious. Does that truck have the 'big block' flat head six in it? Can that engine be recognised in a view like this? Note also the tread on some of the trailer tyres!

SHORPY-8b30923a August 1937 Chrysler products convoy.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting comment re the tarps. I would have thought the cars would need to be covered to prevent stone damage on the road. I wonder how fast they drove. Maybe not more than 30 mph - shifting over ten tons with a flat head six would be hard work. . What was the heavy vehicle speed limit?

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I don't know about the speed limit but I doubt they went over 30. Given the weight and how high it was carried, and the limited power they had to work with.

The car covers appear to be sewn to fit the cars. I should think they were on there while the cars were in transit but I don't know why they would need them.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

If you open the photo in a new tab and enlarge it you can see quite a bit of detail. The tarps or car covers are sewn to fit the cars. They are also numbered. The lower numbers, presumably the older ones, are streaked and stained with something that looks like tar. 28 Chrysler may have the answer. Maybe there was some kind of tree overhanging  the road that drips sap on the cars. The streaks are smears of tree sap.

You can also see that the bumpers are protected by some kind of tape or brown paper glued on.

It is impossible to tell what size engine they have as they all look alike. They may very well have the stock Dodge engine of 217 cu in and 87HP. It would pull the load, it just wouldn't pull it very fast.

The license plates appear to be New York 1937. What kind of trees grow in New York that might overhang the roads and drip sap in the summer? I know I have parked under trees and come back a few days later to a car spotted with sticky sap but I don't remember what kind of trees they were.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)