Correct Color For 63 Alternator Fan and Pulley? Plus Alternator Question

Riviera63

I am possibly getting an alternator rebuilt for my 63 Riv. I have been in contact with another forum member that just had his 1963 alternator rebuilt. He was not sure that the pulley had been painted the correct color. What is the correct finish for the fan and pulley on a 1963 Riviera alternator? My alternator was the wrong amperage and year so I cannot use that as a guide for the correct finish. I have been looking at different possibilities for getting another alternator from rebuilding an original with the correct date code to a Delco Remy that is already remanufactured. My car has air so I need the 52 amp alternator. There are many Delco Remy alternators out there that will work. Will most of the Delcos from the 60's work and fit as long as they have at least the 52 amps recommended? I see many out there from the 60's with a 55 amps, or 61 amp rating. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Most likely pulley was originally silver cad and the fan was same, or it was stamped from hot galvanized finish metal sheet with a more dull gray uneven appearance. You will be OK if you have the pulley and fan silver zinc plated or paint to simulate same.

42 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Most likely pulley was originally silver cad and the fan was same, or it was stamped from hot galvanized finish metal sheet with a more dull gray uneven appearance. You will be OK if you have the pulley and fan silver zinc plated or paint to simulate same.

Thanks guys. The alternator that I took off was a 1967 build date and had the silver cad pulley and fan. I was confused as the forum member that I was talking to said his were painted black. Most of the Delco Remy remanufactured alternators that I have seen have them painted black. I also have seen alternators that supposedly had concours restorations where they are date correct, have all of the correct stamps on the casing, dated diodes, etc. and they also had black pulleys and fans. They want pretty big bucks for those. It would be a little upsetting to pay that much and find out things weren't correct. I see that Eastwood sells a silver cad spray paint. That might do the trick. Has anyone used this? Thanks.

Bill

If I don't want to send something for plating, I use a combination/blend of chrome paint and Krylon Dull Aluminum which are two paints I always keep handy. With a little practice you can get it real close to zinc plating appearance

For informational purposes I e-mailed someone that does concours restorations of alternators asking him what finish they put on the 1963 GM alternator fan and pulley and why. This is what he said back:

"As for the color I'm almost 100 % sure that Delco started zinc plating fans around 1967, most 1963 - 1966 alternator came with the one piece fan/pulley and in my 38 years of doing alternators I have never seen a zinc plated one piece fan/pulley on an original core, and I have never ever seen a double pulley zinc plated on a 1963 unit. I believe all double pulleys were painted black and the fans that were used with them painted also, and since the double pulley was never offered as a one piece fan/pulley the 1963-1965 fans were different then later date fans. In 1963 the one piece fan/pulley had round spot welds on the pulley to hold it to the fans, in 1966 they came with rectangal spot weld on the pulleys to hold it to the fans. This alternator has the correct 1963 fan. I believe that the zinc plated fans and pulleys were used on HI-OP units around 67, but the pulleys were different on the corvette the pulleys a wide space before the fan and the camaros and chevelle had a deep groove pulley. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. So having said that I believe all double pulleys were painted and so were the fans used with them." 

4 hours ago, JZRIV said:

If I don't want to send something for plating, I use a combination/blend of chrome paint and Krylon Dull Aluminum which are two paints I always keep handy. With a little practice you can get it real close to zinc plating appearance

Does that get close to the Zinc Phosphate on the hood hinges and possibly brake booster?  I just picked upa can of Rust-oleum Flat soft iron metallic to see if that was close to the original Zinc Phosphate finish.

That's what I'd call a broad statement.  

I'm sure that many GM products used Delco Alternators in 1963.  How many, besides the a/c equipped nailhead used a double belt pulley?  Of all the pulleys I've taken of alternators on these cars, I've yet to run into one where the fan and pulley are one integrated unit.  How many times have I pulled a dual belt pulley of an OE alternator to attach to an alternator that didn't even come with a fan or pulley?  

For what it's worth, If I were you, I'd listen to the sage advice you get from those on this forum who are involved a one particular car rather that someone who restores what ever his customer brings into his garage.  Did he tell you about the last 1st generation Riviera that he restored?  Besides, how many people just walking by your car are going to know for sure.  If you're being judged at an ROA or a BCA event, chances are the judges will be part of this forum, not some concours restorer. 

I "Googled" one piece fan/pulley and searched through a couple of pages of pictures - couldn't find one.  Most of what I found when I "Googled" 55 amp GM alternator, came up with pictures like this - but yours should have a double pulley on it.  I'm also curious about the manufacturing process.  Most pulleys are cast iron, most fans are stamped steel.  How can one produce one item made from two different materials?

gm.jpg

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

That's what I'd call a broad statement.  

I'm sure that many GM products used Delco Alternators in 1963.  How many, besides the a/c equipped nailhead used a double belt pulley?  Of all the pulleys I've taken of alternators on these cars, I've yet to run into one where the fan and pulley are one integrated unit.  How many times have I pulled a dual belt pulley of an OE alternator to attach to an alternator that didn't even come with a fan or pulley?  

For what it's worth, If I were you, I'd listen to the sage advice you get from those on this forum who are involved a one particular car rather that someone who restores what ever his customer brings into his garage.  Did he tell you about the last 1st generation Riviera that he restored?  Besides, how many people just walking by your car are going to know for sure.  If you're being judged at an ROA or a BCA event, chances are the judges will be part of this forum, not some concours restorer. 

I "Googled" one piece fan/pulley and searched through a couple of pages of pictures - couldn't find one.  Most of what I found when I "Googled" 55 amp GM alternator, came up with pictures like this - but yours should have a double pulley on it.  I'm also curious about the manufacturing process.  Most pulleys are cast iron, most fans are stamped steel.  How can one produce one item made from two different materials?

gm.jpg

Ed,

As I said in that post I just threw what this person said for informational purposes only. I was not making a statement as to who was right or who was wrong. The alternator that is correct for our cars is a 52 amp not a 55 amp so that's not a true test. I found many remanufactured Delcos, in fact most with the black fan and pulley. My friend on the forum that I referenced had his rebuilt and it came back black which is what prompted this discussion. I am not concerned about how the remanufactured alternators look I was wanting to know what the original alternator looked like. A 1100622 or 1100633 52 amp alternator from Delco is going to be made to look the same whether its on a 1963 Buick Riviera or a 1963 Corvette, double or single pulley. In his defense he never said the double pulley was one piece. In fact, he comes right out and says that. He was referring to single pulley set ups from this time period. As he said the 2 pieces were tack welded together not forged in one piece of one metal. I value the opinions of the people on this forum which is why I monitor it and ask questions. To insinuate that I don't is wrong. As he said ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. Information is power. Discussion is good and hopefully at the end of it all we arrive at the correct answer to the question

25 minutes ago, telriv said:

61 amp (maybe 63 also) was an option as far as I know. I have a whole bunch of '64 A/C alternators. If your looking for a particular one I could check what I have.

Tom,

I am looking for a 52 amp alternator as I have an AC car. The alternator that was in my car was only a 37 amp. Can I use a higher amp Delco from another year with out any problems? Such as a 55 amp or 61 amp? I am not sure sure yet which way I am going to go but, one of the things I have considered is finding a good Delco core of a suitable amperage with a double pulley that I can get rebuilt/restored. I would be open to seeing what you have. Thanks for the offer.

Bill

You can remove the pulley and fan from any of the same era Delco alternators and use on another one.  The fan and pulley usually slip over a key so there's no slippage.  It usually takes an impact wrench to remove the nut from the spline.

Originally my '64 was equipped with a 37amp. I switched to 63 amp. They say the voltage regulator was diff. but I didn't change it & it been on for MANY years. I'll look to see what I may have & get back to you. May take a few days.

Tom T.

13 hours ago, riv2x4 said:

Does that get close to the Zinc Phosphate on the hood hinges and possibly brake booster?  I just picked upa can of Rust-oleum Flat soft iron metallic to see if that was close to the original Zinc Phosphate finish.

No not those colors I mentioned. There is a big difference between silver zinc dichromate plating (todays reproduction of silver cadmium plating) and gray phosphate.

You are looking for a flat medium gray finish. Depending on shade I'm after I use a medium gray or dark gray primer with flat clear top coat.

1 hour ago, telriv said:

Originally my '64 was equipped with a 37amp. I switched to 63 amp. They say the voltage regulator was diff. but I didn't change it & it been on for MANY years. I'll look to see what I may have & get back to you. May take a few days.

Tom T.

Tom,

If you did find a suitable core how much would you want for it? The reason I ask is that I have found a correct alternator that is already rebuilt and refurbished for a pretty reasonable price. Depending on how much you want plus shipping to me, shipping to the rebuilder, the cost of rebuilding, and finally the shipping back to me. It may be more cost effective for me to just get the one already done. I don't want you to do all that digging and searching and then say no. Let me know. Thanks.

Bill