A great opportunity or a seller looking for some suckers?

auburnseeker

I agree with Bernie that some conversations will weed people right out.  One is when the lady calls and you can hear a guy in the background saying "ask him.......".  Duh, put the guy with the questions on the phone.  A second one is a guy who's first question is"what alls a wrong with it?".  Finally, please don't call to ask if my MGA has an automatic transmission.  If you know that little, it isn't the car for you.

All are real examples from decades ago.  Haven't sold anything in years.   

Z

How does one achieve the status of "serious buyer"?

In the car sales world it's common to "dust" or "broom" non-serious buyers. It doesn't mean they won't buy, or even that they won't buy today. But customers need to be ready to buy to be a serious buyer. Considering their options and what not, might be perfectly reasonable as a buyer, but that doesn't make you a serious buyer. You have to keep in mind in sales that until you're actually ready to put your money down then you're wasting their time. There are plenty of kinder ways to say it, but in order to cut through all that.... you're simply not statistically worth the time to groom into an actual buyer when there are also serious buyers who may not find the need to take cautious consideration. It's the penalty paid for cautious reason.

Think of it like this... who are they more likely to sell part of the collection to, the folks here and elsewhere saying "why in the world are they doing it like that, I would be interested but I don't like how they are doing it", or the folks who called them up and said "hey whats the deal here?" Guess which one is the serious buyer?

On the other hand you have the sellers who waste the serious buyer's time as well that they could have avoided by posting prices up front.   I only have so much time in the day and don't want to spend it on the phone again with someone who gives me a 30 minute speal only to say well you will have to come make an offer or finally say something like, well they are priced between say 20,000 and 150,000 each. I see one PAckard that I doubt would bring much over 6,000 with rusted bumpers in a 4 door configuration.  

I have been through this before and more often with parts.  Your offer isn't even remotely in line with the seller's expectation.  

I looked at a collection of Buick and Oldsmobiles and when the seller hit me with the prices for all of the 4 door sedans that had all been laying packed in buildings for 20+ years, they were at $20,000 or more each.  We are talking 59 Olds 4 doors,  37 Buick 4 doors. etc. 

They eventually sold them to someone else for about 6500 each. 

Back to the information compiled on data plate #'s etc.   Why not write an article with photographs and explain it all.  Submit it to the publication that supports the marque that you are writing about.  That way its shared in the public domain'and many people can use it.

Some publications will even pay for good informational articles.  I find it a lot easier to get published when I offer the article for FREE.

16 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Back to the information compiled on data plate #'s etc.   Why not write an article with photographs and explain it all.  Submit it to the publication that supports the marque that you are writing about.  That way its shared in the public domain'and many people can use it.

Some publications will even pay for good informational articles.  I find it a lot easier to get published when I offer the article for FREE.

I think your post is in the wrong thread. 

15 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Advertise a car, give your phone number or address, and I'm pretty sure YOU get to be the contestant.

"I can recognize that tune in THREE notes!"

Thanks, Flat Top, that's just the fix we needed.

Haven't sold cars in any volume for 45 years, but still remember the refrains. Lately my few restorations sell by word of mouth. The last buyer gave me a grand over my asking price and a carton of good red wines on top. He did get on board part way through the resto, and I made improvements per his requests. That's how I like it.

3 hours ago, Frantz said:

But customers need to be ready to buy to be a serious buyer.

Look for me to buy out of stock on the 29th of the month (to push your quota), I want about $500 worth of dealer installed options (to bump the salesman's cut), I am ready to sign and take delivery that day, and I would like the dealer to arrange my financing (I'll make one payment then pay out with my credit union).

I am here to help you.

Bernie

• Like 1