1942 Limited engine numbers

41orbust

I recently purchased 1942 Limited Limousine.

Yesterday i saw that the block had the casting for the later (48 an on ) Engine mounts on the sides. However the engine number is a correct 1942 number. The only difference is that the digit 9 indicating the series is the last digit as seen on the later model engines. For 42 I believe the digit 9 should be the first digit.

Does anyone know if you could order a newer replacement block and have the original engine numbers stamped in the new block?

Is there any way to find out if it is a later block with hydraulic lifters?

Thank you

20170621_135354.jpg

• Like 1

Before the early 1950s (it varies a little by state), nearly all of the states used the car's engine number as the number on the car's title. This causes problems when engines are replaced, so it is conceivable that an older engine number could have been stamped on a newer engine, just to keep from having to reissue the title for the car.

To find out if it has hydraulic lifters, take off the engine's side panel cover and pull out a lifter.

I'd love to find a good 1941 or 1942 Limited.  If the front motor mounts are on the side, about 1/4 way back the block there is NO DOUBT the engine is 1948 or newer.  However, in 1949 Buick offered new full engines and maybe short blocks for Buicks back to 1937.  All you had to do to make them work was  unbolt the front steel motor mount plate from the old block and bolt it on the new engine.  I suspect that they did not come with a motor number and the Buick dealer who installed the engine simply stamped in the number that was on the original block.  That is kind of obvious in fact, so leave it alone and tell your own story.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, ILIKECARS53 said:

Hi 40orbust,  what model is the 42.  I have a model 90  8 pass with jump seats but no division window.  All 1942 Limited's are rare.

Nice that you own a 42 Limited too. Mine is with the Electric divider window 8 passenger with jump seats. I am looking for some items for my car. Do you have any spares?

20170621_154946.jpg

I think there is an easier way to figure out if you have hydraulic lifters. Taking the side cover off is a PITA.

Remove the valve cover and take the rocher arm shaft off. Look at the adjusting screw foor that goes into the pushrod.

Hydralulic lifter screws will have a hole like the one on the left in this photo. The one on the right is for solid lifters.

The hydraulic lifters are fed oil via the hole and down the pushrod.

DSC_1843.JPG

4 hours ago, 41orbust said:

Thanks for the information. I will remove the rocker arm shaft to see if there are holes for the hydraulic lifters or not.

Tor

The shaft does nor have to be removed to accomplish this. Just back off the rocker adjusting screw all the way and it can be checked. Not sure about yours, but my 1950 248 with manual lifters  has the same  "foot" as the hydraulic. Later that year, per the shop manual, it change to what Don mentioned.  Might check your Manual.

Ben

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎19 at 10:25 PM, ILIKECARS53 said:

Hi 40orbust,  I have a few items that i have extras.  What are you looking for specifically? 

Hi

I am looking for the 2 dome lights that are specific to the Limited 41-42, the rear license plate light housing and glass and a couple of hubcaps for 41-42 Limited.