One for the records

PWB

You are correct Pat.

I have never seen one in person but there are several different versions out there from the information I have from the Boattail Registry website.

The Barris version was approved by Buick, they sent out a memo telling dealers about it, and the brochure and order form. The cost for the parts was a whopping $14.95 to the dealership!

5957ff33c62d3_Barris-BoattailCustomVinylTreatment-GMletter.thumb.jpg.b7f30a6b38dec6d7a48efdb515f2328f.jpg

5957ff5bd1de4_Barris-BoattailCustomVinylTreatment.thumb.jpg.ffc5bc8b43f0e3a940e41d22f8d2a5e0.jpg

I meant to add, it was available for the '71 and '72 since they changed to the short top in March of the '72 production year, so it was not Buick approved for the '73.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I was doing some "drop ship" headliner business with Acme a number of years ago. At that time they were still offering this conversion.   It came complete with pre-cut vinyl and all of the stainless.  For 71 and 72, the two pieces that followed the lines were joined together by a separate V at the tip.  The 71 / 72 version was, in my opinion, better looking than the 73 version.

As far as I know, ACME is still producing original headliners for the Riviera.  Good product, good price.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I actually like the way they "shortened" the top in March of '72, this is the way I'm going to do my '72 GS.

s-l1604.thumb.jpg.b67c6547265fd768be3ad78234f6f01c.jpg

I think it looks a good bit better than the full top, and I'm sure I would not do any of them that take it all the way back onto the trunk lid.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

Hey Randall, thanks for posting those notices.  Hope you are well. I miss the NC climate!

No problem Pat, I figured since I had the info I would share it.

Doing OK, hope you are too. Not sure about the climate though, too may days in the 90s, and the humidity gets interesting too!