1924 Sport Tourer Dashboard

I am well advaced with my restoration. I have a complete rolling chassis with gearbox done and engine well advacned. Just at the engineers having the block bored to accept new pistons.

Whilst i wait i have other projects on the way.

I am however curious about the finish on the dashboard and the instruments.

These photos show the car as found

20121111_103248.thumb.jpg.6e5d196f630f0565fd5c7b5e1b9249fe.jpg

20121125_181521.thumb.jpg.32f282a4a7b96a5e440f285d1ffe4593.jpg

Here you can see a paterned fabric covering to the dash as well as a red paint to the choke plate and an aqua/teal finish to the instruments.

Is this right? Have you seen this before?

I have since aquired the correct speedometer and a replacement instrument cluster c/w clock.

The instruments have a paper insert printed appropriately.

Odviously this is appropriate to my car but the colour combinations just look odd.

Looking at photos of other Sport Tourers, restored and original it is hard to find consistency.

Is this fabric covering/colour combination only peculiar to Sport Tourers ?

I look forward to your responses.

David.

I would have to check the Master Parts book but I believe that the pattern for the leather was Whale Grain. The 1922-1923 Sport Roadsters and Touring used Spanish Grain. 1923-54 Roadster below.592ece0c1d855_23-11.thumb.jpg.337a55037e8ed7f6391752cc8c865cae.jpg

Photo of restored 1924-55 car with red (pebble grain)?leather.DSCF1628.thumb.JPG.877f134be003a5fcda2aac71c8211335.JPGDSCF1627.thumb.JPG.72c765b47ef67134ab9dd021d35ca748.JPGDSCF1612.thumb.JPG.7cce102bf0507808f4f9999250c19312.JPGDSCF1626.thumb.JPG.434a1e55dd73106dfba3b5fb9235ab28.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Goodo, 

Thanks for the input re the dashboard. So from this i gather that the dash matches the upholstery.

Back to the instruments. What do you make of the choke plate and instrument colour?

Are they meant to be coloured? 

Is this just peculiar to Sport Tourers?

Or just Australian models?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

David

The heat choke plate would have the red back round color for the sport touring. Other models would be black. The other instruments would have a white face. The photo of the dash I sent has a variety of instruments. The switch looks to be 1927 or 1928. The car I sent photos of was at the 2012 Buick Nationals. Late last year they were selling it. Advertised in the BCA Bugle, Hemmings  and on Ebay. I believe the first run through Ebay it only received a $35,000 high bid. I think they were asking $55,000. But there were many photos and a video in the ad. I wished that I had saved it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer said:

Goodo, 

Thanks for the input re the dashboard. So from this i gather that the dash matches the upholstery.

Back to the instruments. What do you make of the choke plate and instrument colour?

Are they meant to be coloured? 

Is this just peculiar to Sport Tourers?

Or just Australian models?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

David

Is your car Holden bodied? It may have been a different combo - our 26 standard has a blackwood dash 

Dibarlaw,

thankyou for  that info. I too saw the original ad.

One subtle difference i note is that with my speedometer, the trip reset protrudes through the dash rather than underneath. Originally my speedo was missing from the car but i soon found a replacement in excellent condition. But, the replacement has a black face, whereas the remaing two instruments are the aqua colour, so i cant say with any certainty that they all matched. The switch plate is a paper insert and the clock cluster is painted!

Hidden_hunter.

Dunno! The body plate was/is missing and i cannot detect any mounting locations. Are there other identifiable clues?

David

20 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Late last year they were selling it. Advertised in the BCA Bugle, Hemmings  and on Ebay. I believe the first run through Ebay it only received a $35,000 high bid. I think they were asking $55,000. But there were many photos and a video in the ad. I wished that I had saved it.

Sometimes sharing pictures is one of the best ways we all have of learning and sharing information.  I search and save as much Buick information (1923-1928) as I can, for future reference.

I never mean any disrespect, in sharing someone else's pictures or content. 

This car is a wealth of detail.  The are two videos I uploaded at the end of all the pictures that were on Youtube.  I hope everyone can play them.

I believe this car started for sale over 70k.  Now, as Larry said, it is down in the 35k range.  It is beautiful!  But the market in my opinion for these cars is so low now because everyone wants muscle cars and driving slow is out of fashion.  I wish I had the funds to buy it.  I wish the seller the best of luck, it is an awersome car!

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/buick/206100-1924-buick-model-55-sports-touring-automobile.html

1924-55 (1).jpg

1924-55 (2).jpg

1924-55 (3).jpg

1924-55 (4).jpg

1924-55 (5).jpg

1924-55 (6).jpg

1924-55 (7).jpg

1924-55 (8).jpg

1924-55 (9).jpg

1924-55 (10).jpg

1924-55 (11).jpg

1924-55 (12).jpg

1924-55 (13).jpg

1924-55 (14).jpg

1924-55 (15).jpg

1924-55 (16).jpg

1924-55 (17).jpg

1924 Model 55 Sports Touring Features Version 4.mp4

How To Start a 1924 Buick Model 55 Sports Touring Version 3.mp4

Edited by 27donb (see edit history)

23 hours ago, 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer said:

Dibarlaw,

thankyou for  that info. I too saw the original ad.

One subtle difference i note is that with my speedometer, the trip reset protrudes through the dash rather than underneath. Originally my speedo was missing from the car but i soon found a replacement in excellent condition. But, the replacement has a black face, whereas the remaing two instruments are the aqua colour, so i cant say with any certainty that they all matched. The switch plate is a paper insert and the clock cluster is painted!

Hidden_hunter.

Dunno! The body plate was/is missing and i cannot detect any mounting locations. Are there other identifiable clues?

David

Are there any holes near the gap between the passenger door and the cowl? That's where our holden tag is attached. 

Yes. I lusted after this car for a while and at the $35,000 low Ebay offer I was thinking... But I would have to had sold my other 2 cars and would still be short by over half. On several sport tourings I have seen these tops when folded look like a baby buggy top. Unusually high angle. The travel trunk is much taller than what would have been used so the top does not sit lower. I looked at several sport roadsters and touring cars with double spares and the single tire cover (to me) looks very odd. All period photos of cars with double spares I have seen had individual tire covers.

As I recall from the video he mentions that he drives it slowly, carefully and not far from home. I would think with what was spent on the restoration one could get some enjoyment out of it. Go on tours (after the trophy collecting period was over). Which is what I hope happens for the next owner.

• Like 1

26 -25Buick,

Thankyou for the photo. Unfortunately i do not have the body tag ( someone else obviously wanted it more than me :angry:)

Additionaly i do not see any hole where it might have been attached either, but one could assume with a degree of confidence that it would be a Holden body.

David.