Another Road Side Find - 1954 Willys

capngrog

While driving to the grocery store this morning, I spotted this parked at the side of the road and naturally had to turn around and go back for a better look.  The object of my interest proved to be a 1954 Willys four door and was apparently for sale: "$4500 OBO".  The car appeared to be all original, and the worst rust seemed to be at the bottom edge of the front of the hood.   The bottoms of the doors, sills, floors and fenders seemed to be in pretty good shape, rust-wise, but with a car of this age, you never know.

According to the Florida license plate, the car was last registered in 2001, and there was an older Texas inspection sticker at the lower left corner of the windshield.  If anyone is interested, P.M. me, and I'll try to contact the owner.  The car is located approximately 50 miles north of Orlando, Florida.

Here are some photos:

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

Guest Turismo

It's got potential for sure. This needs to go to the hands of someone willing to do a bit of restoring.

52 minutes ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Too bad it's not the F-Head 6, they had great performance.

What's the difference between the F-Head 6 and the "Hurricane Six"?  Carburetors, compression ratio, displacement etc.?

Cheers,

Grog

I did a little on line research and found the following information:

• There was a 161 cubic inch 6 cylinder F-Head "Hurricane Six" engine that produced 90 h.p. and 135 ft.lb. of torque.  One reference indicated that this engine was also called the 685 and was installed in Willys Aero passenger cars from 1952 to 1955.
  • The performance engine was the 226 cubic inch 6 cylinder F-Head "Super Hurricane" manufactured by Continental, that produced 115 h.p. and 190 ft.lb of torque.
  • The information I found seemed to be somewhat incomplete and ambiguous.

The sign in the driver's side window of the subject car indicated that it was powered by a "90 hp. Hurricane Six engine, 226 C.I.".  This is a little confusing since, if the engine is a 226, it's a "Super Hurricane".  Who knows?  If I get the chance, I'll go back for a look at the engine.  When I first saw the car, the owner wasn't around, and I was reluctant to open the hood, which was in a flimsy condition.

Cheers,

Grog

9 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Overall it didn't look rusty, but now that you mention the hood it looks like the front edge it completely rusted through.

You're right about the hood; however you're also right about it not looking too rusty overall.  I don't recall seeing a car rust out at the bottom edge of the front of the hood, they usually rust in other areas first.  Areas such as fender wells, floors, rocker panels and bottoms of doors seem to be pretty sound on this car.  I don't know why the hood would've rusted out as it has. 

Below is a close up view of the hood rust and a shot of a VERY deteriorated white wall tire.

Cheers,

Grog

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

Every hood you ever find is rusted. I was not around when they were new but I suspect they were rusting on the dealer showrooms. Good cars but parts are almost impossible to find. Other than drive train parts shared with jeeps. Also they are unibody cars so if the body is rusted it can be structurally compromised.