Ignition module

harry yarnell

It has been a while since I swapped mine out but it was pretty simple. The connector plugs right in. You have to re-route the wires a little differently around the coils to get them to fit properly. The wires length on my '88 was a little longer if I remember correctly. Easy job really.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Hi … for my 1990 Reatta, yes ... mine swapped relatively easily ... as I recall, three plate mounting bolts and six to take part and pout together the Coil and Module. Here is a short story followed by unsolicited advice that you or another reader may find useful. My daily driver Reatta has gone through several Ignition Coil Modules and three Ignition Coils since 2010. My regular shop and I use AC Delco parts on my car but when the car broke down on the road it was pot luck: NAPA [best of the rest], AutoZone, Advanced and others. After the original lasted 20 years the rest have only lasted 9 months to a year or so each. It happened so often that I carried spares of both parts in the trunk so I could make emergency repairs myself on the road [it is a relatively easy job]. I have felt for a very long time that replacing the Coil and/or the Module was only addressing the Symptom and not the Root Cause. However, I am limited in what I can do in my garage and my mechanical skills are ok but not at a true mechanic’s level. To that end, I could not uncover a Root Cause. Finally, a couple of weeks ago when my Check Engine light came on once again I said to myself, “here we go again”. Fortunately, the $333.00 AC Delco Module was still under warranty [it had been 10 months this time]. I decided to forgo my normal shop and go to a highly awarded Master Mechanic here who only deals with cases no one else can fix … I told him I was willing to pay him a consulting fee to find the Root Cause. He said that he would only take on the job if I gave him permission to fix it since he felt he knew the Root Cause and the only way to diagnose it was to take it apart. I agreed. He kept a record of the process as he proceeded. First he meter tested the entire Starting System to determine the drag when starting as opposed to “normal”. There was way too much drag … that was the actual Root Cause; it was overburdening the Coil and Module. He went about fixing it by going to the main Ground Block of the car … he removed all wiring and cleaned and burnished every connection then put it all back together … measured it and there was less drag. Next he did the same process with all grounds associated with the Starting System … measured it … a little less drag. Lastly, he removed the Coil and Module and found that the Mounting Plate, which is the Coil and Module’s Ground, was soiled to the point it was not making the proper connection thus causing drag … he cleaned it thoroughly and then treated it with some substance [sorry, I did not catch the name] that he said assures an excellent Ground. Lastly, he installed the new AC Delco Coil and Module … tested the System; it now measures ‘normal’, it is at its optimum performance level. The car performs better even though I did not know it was not performing as well as it could, chuckle. By the way, he went over and then gave me the documented testing results of all of the various steps of testing to show the incremental improvements all the way up until the System tested normal.

I did not do the Master Mechanic’s work justice not using the correct terminology or giving a complete exact blow by blow but you at least get the essence of the process. The bottom line is that I would recommend folks using this case as a model to do some preventive GROUND maintenance; it may save some money and headaches down the road. John in Sarasota

Edited by Enoytsur (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I fail to see what the 'drag' affect of the starter motor has on the ICM.

When I say ICM, I'm talking the whole assy; coils and base electronics.

Is the ICM grounded by the metallic base? If so, I could see how that might affect the ICM's operation, as that base/ brkt can get kinda cruddy.

Didn't mean to irritate anyone ... just trying to be helpful to those who are not as skilled mechanically as others since I just went through the process with the Ignition Coil Module ... this forum is a nice tool for all Reatta users; skilled and not so skilled. The gentleman's title is Master Mechanic on his Calling Card; out of respect I addressed him as such in my write-up. Will remain silent in the future.

The ICM is grounded through the base plate so keeping it clean is important. I think that 89RDG was bragging a bit.

Please come back, your input on what your mechanic went through is important for all of us to remember. 

Upgrading to GM from the Magnavox is easy. The hardest part was getting a base plate from a later model car at the junkyard. Get the nuts too. Any module from a V6 should work. The one in my Reatta came off of a 93 Olds with a 3.4L DOHC motor, which is the same part as on my 98 Riv.

1 hour ago, ChrisWhewell said:

Upgrading to GM from the Magnavox is easy. The hardest part was getting a base plate from a later model car at the junkyard. Get the nuts too. Any module from a V6 should work. The one in my Reatta came off of a 93 Olds with a 3.4L DOHC motor, which is the same part as on my 98 Riv.

Good to know that 60* V6 will work too. I believe the module from the Buick 3300, through '93, will not work since that engine doesn't have a cam sensor. That may not be 100% true and the cam input is in the module and not connected or used? The coils should work fine.

How soon they forget. If you got the assembly off an LQ1 either the engine was out of the car or the radiator was gone. I have an LQ1/284 GTP and just changing the battery requires removal of the w/s washer reservoir and notches in the firewall lip were needed to remove the back spark plugs. OTOH it is a DOHC 6 with a 24 valve pentroof head & center spark plug that has a 7,000 rpm redline.

If you decide to leave that is up to you. You are welcome to post and help or not help people, that is up to you.

John came on the forum and stated what he went though to get his car running right. A better response from you would be to affirm what his mechanic did and promote once again how important it is to keep all grounds clean even the ones you don't see. You have been a big promoter of cleaning grounds and also good for you that you knew about the ICM ground and that you even went so far to post a "How to" on it. 

• Like 2

Gentlemen please,

We have been through this before .  We have weathered this storm.  There will always be people pushing our buttons, trying to make us behave in certain ways, we're better than that.  

At he end of the day, it's you in the mirror you have to look at, no one else.

I wish the moderators would speak up here since a post was deleted and this topic no longer makes sense as it stands.

I know this is selfish of me but the Forum without Ronnie is not quite the same.

We got a good thing going here.

Let's not blow it.

Stanley

ps  moderators if you want to delete this that's fine:

I wasn't going to bring this up fearing I would alienate or piss off some but you can't escape reality.  

It's Easter and Passover.

A time of searching the soul and the body.

We all want to be good people.

Let's do it.

• Like 2

Pfft. This episode reminds me of the way the girls in the popular clique treated each other back in about 7th grade. Back biting, passive-aggressive pettiness. Come on now, we're all adults here, and all this bruised ego defensiveness is just embarrassing to watch.  Or maybe I'm just an exceptional hard-ass who can't get rustled easily.

All I know is that as of now, at least three members have stated they are bailing for what appeared to me to be a simple difference in personal style, taking valuable content and insight with them. That's really helpful. Nobody cast aspersions on anyone's mother (or worse), so why all the fuss? Speaking of Easter,  I'd  point out the lead up to that also involved a crucifixion. We don't need that here either. I think I've said enough.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Please don't leave the forum I say to all who may consider it. Pretty hard to get offended here. Sift out the wisdom and toss the rest.

Even I was once a child but smarter people did not give up on me.

I'm sure that at some point we all needed a "Master Mechanic" whose logical troubleshooting steps we all learned from.

Just Sayin'

• Like 1

Yes Padget, that is a great motor, in my opinion the epitome of Chevy for the late 80's / early 90's. I got it for my son when he graduated, it wasn't running. It turned out to be the ign module. But, it was factory-located up front under the exh. manifold. That sucked so much, I moved it to be located in the fenderwell. Great motor. When I was a kid watching star-trek, I remember Mr. Spock once said to a Klingon: "Threats are illogical" and never forgot that. So whenever someone threatens to leave, I just reply "Live long and prosper" Millenial-type drama has even "trickled up" into national politics it seems. eeek. I joined the IDGAD club a couple years ago. That stands for "I don't give a.... :)