1937 Buick 40 - 248 manifolds colors

70sWagoneers

I'm gearing up to refinish my intake/exhaust manifolds and was unsure of what colors were correct. I was going to paint the intake engine color (green) and the exhaust log will stay bare cast iron color. Does this sound right?

The old paint is a mix-match of color.

Thanks 

James C.

DSC_0789.JPG

I painted the exhaust manifold and the heat riser thing under it using POR-15 high heat cast iron gray.  The intake manifold is Buick engine green.

James,

I hope that this is of some help in answering your question - - - Pictured (at the GM plant in Linden, New Jersey) is a 1941 Buick during the body drop installation and the engine delivery from the Flint, Michigan, via rail.  Buick painted the engines assembled with the manifolds attached.  In 1941, the Buick engines were assembled in Flint, Michigan, and shipped to Linden.  The carburetors were added at the Flint plant after engine painting.  Other components, like the generator, fan, pulley, vibration damper, etc., were added at the Linden plant.  Note that the fuel line is also painted engine color.  Also note, that the chassis was painted black with the exhaust system installed.

Grandpa

1941 Buick.jpg

1941 Buick Engines.jpg

Those are great source pictures, Grandpa. But my eyes can't tell what is what. The first picture almost look like both manifolds have a paint sheen to them. But the second picture I can tell they each have different color/sheen. 

So, did they mask off the exhaust manifold before they painted the engine color?? Or did they paint the exhaust manifold too and all that paint burns off? I definitely see that most intake manifolds that I can look up on the internet have some remnant of green paint but all exhaust manifolds are usually well burnt up. It just seems like an odd masking task to do. But, I wasn't there so let me know!

I'm still  leaning toward individually painting the manifold their separate colors before bolting them together. And then I'll machine the mounting face. Anybody got any tips on mounting this homely manifold on a Bridgeport?? 

Thanks

James C.

In these photos you can clearly see that Buick painted both manifolds green. !5 minutes after the engines were started you can bet the exhaust manifold green was toast.

There are some funny things though. On my original car, the back of the water pump and the back of the crank pulley were both green - they had to be painted before being installed on the engine.