1926 Buick Speedster- or is it?

Guest Ron McK

Guest Ron McK

Questions- looking for answers...

Bought this 1926? Buick speedster/racer and we're working on getting it running and on the road from a 15 year hiatus.

Questions:

We have been told that the radiator and headlights are not 26. Looking for an idea of what year they are.

How do I identify the year of the engine? Transmission? Rear end?

We know the read end in the car is not the one that came with it, because it's very dirty and has no blue paint on it like the rest of the car.

Transmission- has what I call a backwards shift pattern, not the standard three speed pattern from cars in later years. Would a transmission top from a later, standard three speed pattern interchange with the, or would the whole transmission need to be replaced in order to obtain the standard, three speed shift pattern?

Does anyone know of a good shop manual that will cover this car well mechanically? As in assembling and adjusting the brakes, care and adjustment of multi-disc clutch, tune-up and overhaul specs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Can email or call me. Car is in Fremont,CA

Ron 510-579-4211

IMG_9304.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

It sure sounds like a 26 transmission.  I wouldn't change it.  It would certainly discourage some thieves.  By the way  beautiful speedster.  I wish it were mine.

The chassies,radiator,wheels and hub caps are from 1928 Buick Master,the head lamp and tail light looks to be Buick early 1930s,the cowl as well as the windshield seems to be from around 1922-1923 ,don`t think it`s Buick.Steering wheel looks to be 1928 Buick.Engine number is on a tag on the left side.

Leif in Sweden

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

If I remember correctly, 1928 was the last year for the reverse H shift pattern. 

1928 was the first year for the conventional shift pattern. I've driven older prize-winning restorations of a 1927 Master and a 1928 Standard in the last two weeks, so the distinction is fresh in my mind.

• Like 1