34 Dodge DRXX headlight question

1Aries

1 hour ago, 1Aries said:

Thanks  I'll give it a try.  Do have pics .. where/how do I send them?

When you go "reply", there is a paperclip below the message pane saying "Drag files here to attach, or Choose Files"... Put them there, then put your cursor in the message where you want them to appear and click on the image (once it has uploaded).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Put plenty of padding below the lens so when you drop it, no breakage occurs!

YES! You might just add some masking tape to it so it does not drop....

Thanks for the tips; I had already implemented the padding and masking tape.

Restoration Supply offers new brass plated reflectors; anyone have experience with them/these (I know that they wouldn't be considered original but I'm not going to Pebble Beach just the local car show (and probably not at night.)

55 minutes ago, 1Aries said:

Thanks for the tips; I had already implemented the padding and masking tape.

Restoration Supply offers new brass plated reflectors; anyone have experience with them/these (I know that they wouldn't be considered original but I'm not going to Pebble Beach just the local car show (and probably not at night.)

Looks like 8" would fit $40 ea seems like a good price , not sure on application of these but I may try them,

I had my Pontiac reflectors re-silvered at a shop that does flatware and household silver.  It was about 1/10th of the other local automotive plating shops.  Wonderful job and has lasted over 25 years.

If you haven`t got the lens out it would be useful to have a helping hand when doing this job. One the screw at the base is loosened off you push the lens in and push it in a little more at the top and the bottom should come out. if you have help and the othe fellow pushes on the light casing up from the bottom and down from the top that will make it slightly out of round and easier for the lens to come out.

On another point. what type of bulb are you using... the originals are not much better than a weak flashlight. I tried Halogen bulbs which some guy in the USA was making  but they draw too much power for my poor generator. Even the Halogen tail lights tax the system. I believe there is a guy in the UK who is making LED lights for most vintage uses and they should be way less taxing on the generator.

It is good to see your DRXX model. I think it is the first one I have seen. I see it uses the DS body style rather than the DR or DT body styles. Interesting.

Thanks for your input; I'm not too familiar with the various "D" configurations but am given to understand that the DRXX model was the "basic" US model and that the DRX was the basic (smaller engine) export model.  I think the DR had side mount spare(s), fancy exposed horn, double tailights and possibly other extras; my DRXX has a single rear mount spare.   NOS parts are beginning to eat my shorts but I'll stick with It a little while longer; really like the car.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The DR's had the split side drivers and passengers windows too. You'll probably note a hole in the garnish mold on the front doors. This is where the winder goes on the DR's.

The side mount spares, horns etc were all extras....there was even a Hat Box you could have purchased separately for the car.

I have seen photos of 34 DRXX with those window garnishes from a DR with vent window winder holes and I think those are incorrect--probably due to there being far fewer DRXX models around.  Attached photos are of the interior of my DRXX coupe as we were pulling it out of a long sleep in a northern California garage a couple years ago and of a DRXX coupe in what I believe is an original sales photo.  You can see that the window garnish in the DRXX is smaller, much like a 33 Dodge or Plymouth.  Hard to see in the factory photo but I have been able to blow up the original and it matches what is in my DRXX, without the vent winder hole because there is no vent.

DSCN1149.JPG

DSCN1152.JPG

dodge_standard_drxx_business_coupe_1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

I have seen photos of 34 DRXX with those window garnishes from a DR with vent window winder holes and I think those are incorrect--probably due to there being far fewer DRXX models around.  Attached photos are of the interior of my DRXX coupe as we were pulling it out of a long sleep in a northern California garage a couple years ago and of a DRXX coupe in what I believe is an original sales photo.  You can see that the window garnish in the DRXX is smaller, much like a 33 Dodge or Plymouth.  Hard to see in the factory photo but I have been able to blow up the original and it matches what is in my DRXX, without the vent winder hole because there is no vent.

DSCN1149.JPG

DSCN1152.JPG

dodge_standard_drxx_business_coupe_1.jpg

Do do you still have this coupe??

Just bought a spare set of buckets that were a little banged up but the price was right, they along with the ones that came on my 34DR were converted to seal beam, after removing and inspecting I noticed the small adjusting set up where the bottom screw is was missing, I will be making up some of these soon if anyone else is looking, 

I will try to get some pictures on here that better show what I'm talking about,  now I can return to the seal beam set up to original,don't know why they would remove unless space was needed to add the seal beam rings ??

Also after using my " Special Tool" the new and old buckets are almost ding free, little more finessing, and ready to rechrome, maybe, might just try buffing first, might save a few bucks,,,, 

Edited by knobless
Added info (see edit history)