truck dash 'delivery' sign?

WQ59B

Have this aftermarket thing on the dash of my '40 Ford 2-tonner. Sorry for the low-quality pics…

Has a 3-point steel bracket screwed to the dash, the steel curved 'arm swivels & pivots, and the pic shows the aluminum clasp and the (broken) masonite board. 
It appears to be some sort of signboard the driver could pivot up to show thru the windshield. My truck was originally an oil tanker for Humble Oil.

Has anyone seen one of these? Am I correct that it was a signboard of sorts? f so, what might it have been worded?
Would appreciate any pics or illustrations showing such.

DSC04826-2.jpg

DSC04828=2.jpg

Seems far too narrow (about 3-in wide) for 'delivery tickets', but could be. Then again, why the capability to swing up, tailor made for display?
'Kerosene' / 'Fuel Oil', etc seems like a real possibility.

Here's everything but the dash-mount piece. 
Piece at top is brass, allows 360-degree rotation when mounted to the dash-bracket.
Curved steel arm would allow 360 rotation, but dash being there means more like 180-degree.
Aluminum piece rotates 360 degrees… but if one were to try and display the 'back', it would be crossing the windshield split. Possible tho.
Aluminum does measure exactly 3-in wide. Note that the aluminum is stapled thru the Masonite- not a fancy item. All the articulation to me also says 'universal' placard holder.

I'm going to replace the Masonite and figure out something to put on it to 'say'. Maybe just a vehicle ID.

DSC04834.JPG

19 hours ago, oily rag said:

All I can think of it is the remains of a clipboard.

" ... remains of a clipboard."  That would be my guess.  Could the thing be swiveled around such that it could be braced against the dash or something so that it could take the pressure produced by bearing down on a pen or pencil?

Cheers,

Grog

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

" ... remains of a clipboard."  That would be my guess.  Could the thing be swiveled around such that it could be braced against the dash or something so that it could take the pressure produced by bearing down on a pen or pencil?

Not really. The dash in my truck & this era in general (1940) is very short- if the Masonite was -say- 8 inches long, about 6-in would be hanging off in mid-air, and it's only standard 1/8-in Masonite. I wouldn't see that lasting very long at all before flexing.