Landau Top Repair?

victorialynn2

Doesn't have to be replaced, if you're going to have it done it's all hand labor and it takes as long to do as it does to replace the top and no guarantee that the material won't tear when you pull it tight.

Do it yourself you need two curved needles that look like the industrial strength version of a surgical suture and you sew it like it's a saddle. Use a steamer to soften material so it will stretch and tighten your stitching like you're snugging up a boot lace.

41 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

Doesn't have to be replaced, if you're going to have it done it's all hand labor and it takes as long to do as it does to replace the top and no guarantee that the material won't tear when you pull it tight.

Do it yourself you need two curved needles that look like the industrial strength version of a surgical suture and you sew it like it's a saddle. Use a steamer to soften material so it will stretch and tighten your stitching like you're snugging up a boot lace.

Digger... Can I just fly you down here to help? lol. Free vacation?

I agree that it should be possible to restitch the top.

I've seen new vinyl tops that were not well done--

with unevenness--since automotive upholstery shops

may not have much experience with such a feature today.

It is helpful to take care of little problems before selling a car;

but, Victoria Lynn, since you're working on the cars from

a distance, you could save yourself some trouble and just price

the car according to its current condition. 

By all means, do a video of you with the curved needles repairing the top. Sell me the rights to the video and you can throw the car away, neither of us will have to work another day of our lives when I market that.

Oh, be sure to get good audio.

• Like 1

It's already mentioned that the material itself might be brittle, especially around the previous holes where the thread has rotted away.  Try to soften it up and work carefully.  If you can slip a small piece of vinyl under the top material at the split and also stitch through that it might provide some "backing" that will help strengthen the finished product.

Terry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

By all means, do a video of you with the curved needles repairing the top. Sell me the rights to the video and you can throw the car away, neither of us will have to work another day of our lives when I market that.

Oh, be sure to get good audio.

Because??? Lol

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

It's already mentioned that the material itself might be brittle, especially around the previous holes where the thread has rotted away.  Try to soften it up and work carefully.  If you can slip a small piece of vinyl under the top material at the split and also stitch through that it might provide some "backing" that will help strengthen the finished product.

Terry

Can I soften it with steam? I also ready to treat the top with baby oil? Would that also help? 

18 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Digger... Can I just fly you down here to help? lol. Free vacation?

Be careful what you wish for, if you'd brought this up when the snow was knee high and the high temperature was 10 below, kidding or not, I might have been on your doorstep the next morning. If you're not to far from Waterford and you still need help come April,  I'm pretty sure I can spare a day on my way to or from.

Can't see how the top seam is coming apart, but the bottom seam looks to be unraveling and an unlocked stitch will eventually unravel. I expect this is more likely caused from replacing the rear window glass. Being a great glass installer doesn't mean you're great at sewing and replacing the rear glass means opening the seam to get the padded top out of the way.  Pulling the seam back together without tearing it could take some time and more hands than Vishnu. You also need to know how to sew. It would be a lot easier if the top was 5 years old. At 35 years old, it could be about as much fun as pulling together the spilt seam of a leather seat with stiff panels, while it's still in the car, which usually requires a colorful explicative or two.

Don't use baby oil, or any other slippery lotion or potion to soften up the top, Kind of hard to squeeze the seam together if you can't get a good grip. Most home stores sell some kind of snout type of steamer and those things are big enough for a small job like this.

Can't imagine anyone paying to watch a video on how to snug up a splitting seam, but if there is money in it, I'm game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

Be careful what you wish for, if you'd brought this up when the snow was knee high and the high temperature was 10 below, kidding or not, I might have been on your doorstep the next morning. If you're not to far from Waterford and you still need help come April,  I'm pretty sure I can spare a day on my way to or from.

Can't see how the top seam is coming apart, but the bottom seam looks to be unraveling and an unlocked stitch will eventually unravel. I expect this is more likely caused from replacing the rear window glass. Being a great glass installer doesn't mean you're great at sewing and replacing the rear glass means opening the seam to get the padded top out of the way.  Pulling the seam back together without tearing it could take some time and more hands than Vishnu. You also need to know how to sew. It would be a lot easier if the top was 5 years old. At 35 years old, it could be about as much fun as pulling together the spilt seam of a leather seat with stiff panels, while it's still in the car, which usually requires a colorful explicative or two.

Don't use baby oil, or any other slippery lotion or potion to soften up the top, Kind of hard to squeeze the seam together if you can't get a good grip. Most home stores sell some kind of snout type of steamer and those things are big enough for a small job like this.

Can't imagine anyone paying to watch a video on how to snug up a splitting seam, but if there is money in it, I'm game.

Wouldn't mind meeting you Digger. I'm just under 4 hours away, so it's a drive, but the Hill Country is beautiful if you've never been, especially during the spring in wild flower season. I hope the car is sold by then though!

Your theory about the window makes sense. That could be the case. 

Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Don't waste your time. There is no way you can repair that seam without the repair being obvious. Let the next owner think he can repair it easily. At most I might try to glue it closed so the damage is less visible.

I wouldn't mislead anyone. I have been told it's $700 to replace including labor. I think I will leave it and let the next owner do what he wants. It's good to know options available to discuss with him though. 

I really think the right person could do a decent repair, not impossible to detect, but decent. 

I can't help with the repair, although Restorer32's advice is worthwhile; I am generally of the "don't fool with it" viewpoint. I am reminded, however, that back when I had cars with vinyl tops, the best, handiest and cheapest treatment or dressing was liquid floor wax, like Pledge or similar. It flowed out well, you didn't need to buff it and the grain of the vinyl came out very attractively.

16 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Don't waste your time. There is no way you can repair that seam without the repair being obvious. Let the next owner think he can repair it easily. At most I might try to glue it closed so the damage is less visible.

It's not a class A restoration job, it's an appearance reconditioning thing that was done on the lot to maybe save the cost of a brand new top back when these tops were popular. No different than foam filling a cracked padded dash, re dying a carpet that looks like crap, or making a cigarette burns disappear from a seat. When your goal is to make a car that's five years used look as close to new for the least amount of money possible, you try the ten dollar fix before you spend a thousand, even if it only works ten percent of the time.   

I can't speak to the top seam, but I imagine it looks like the bottom and so long as the top isn't rock hard or rotted, the seam can be repaired. Not perfect, but good enough that you have to be looking for it to find it when you use the same color of thread. If the top is still supple and willing to cooperate the seam can be pulled back together and the lock stich can be hidden inside the seam. Not having the right size needles and thread doesn't mean the job can't be done, it does mean it will take longer, but even with all the right materials it will still take you longer than it will someone that's done it hundreds of times.  

• Like 1